Thread: WoodenBoat magazine etc

Lightbulb WoodenBoat magazine etc

Haven't bought a 'WoodenBoat' magazine for some year now.

I was in UK last weekend bought two (consecutive) WoodenBoat magazines at W H Smiths.

Also purchased a Classic Boat, a Yachting Monthly and a Practical Boat Owner magazine.

Shall be reading for some time.

While you post in the site do you buy (or read) WoodenBoat magazine regularly?

Do you read other boating/yachting magazines?
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Default Re: WoodenBoat magazine etc

Seems only fair to support the company that provides the free forum - so I subscribe.

I occasionally read others. Practical Boat has some good info.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I must confess I haven't bought an issue in a while. I tended to be picky, if it didn't have interesting looking small boat stuff in, I didn't buy it. However, I have not made that choice recently, because I haven't noticed copies for sale. I don't know if this is because it got popular and sells out, or the racks I pass don't carry it now, or it hides in a dark corner or what. I will have to start actually hunting for it. Also though, I'd tend to grab a copy whatever was in it when I was traveling, and I have not been traveling at all of late.

I've actually never seen small boat either, maybe should look for that too.

Canadians have been discouraged from magazine subscriptions in the past, with subscriptions basically offered at double cover price, rather than a small discount. I cannot see what the price difference is on the site now. Anyway, usually ends in frustration with Canadian residents wondering why publishers can't ship bulk to canada and then distribute to subscribers. Aha, I do see now that Canadian price is showing different, $39 for a year, must have been the tens not changing that fooled me, not bad, however comments about Canadians being historically conditioned to think subscriptions for US periodicals are a rip-off stand.

Also what is it with subscriptions in general? People ask me what I want for Christmas or Birthday, I say hey, subscription to X, Y or Z, (Typically Canadian, due to wild US subscription pricing, see above) and they pull a face and go and buy me something useless.

I can't recall ever having paid real money for another boating or marine periodical though, so I'm steadfastly loyal to Woodenboat LOL. If there's a copy of something else at docs or dentists then I'll flick through, possibly I've got a stray issue or two of something from years back I maybe grabbed on the strength of one article when it was selling out of the dime box at a used book sale or something. Anyway, most of anything I've flicked through looks like a catalog for high end equipment, not reading you'd voluntarily pay for.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

I've had a subscription for ages. I read it cover to cover. I'm annoyed that the retailers get it before I do, but can live with that.

I subscribed to Yachting World for a while (Professional interest ) but it was expensive and I got what I need from the web once that started.

I have all of the WB magazines from Vol.1 Ed. 1 onwards.
    Subscribe to Professional Boatbuilder for the past dozen years or so.
    MarineLog subscriber.
    Marine Technology from SNAME for a dozen years.
    Journal of Ship Production & Design from SNAME for the same length of time
    Woodworking subscription
    Other magazines as the desire hits me.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I have subscribed since issue No 49,initially with the several companies that represented the magazine in Europe but for the last twenty five years or more directly with the people in Brooklin and now I believe in Chicago.I often receive the magazine before the American readers as well.I also read Watercraft ,Yachts and Yachting and Professional Boatbuilder.

Subscribe to WoodenBoat
    Ash Breeze
    Messing About In Boats
    Small Boats Magazine
    Small Craft Advisor
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

My father bought WB starting around #2 or 3. I bought it off the shelf until 1987, when I was gifted a subscription by the captain of the last CG cutter on which I served. After that I maintained the subscription until about 2012 or 13, also filling in back issues. At that time I found myself falling several issues behind in reading, and feeling less connected to the content in spite of owning several wooden boats. I think 40 years probably reached redundancy. I still pick up an issue from time to time, or Small Boats, but it doesn't inspire me to resubscribe. Now that Boat Design Quarterly is ended, my other two boating mags are Messing About in Boats and Good Old Boat. While the latter focuses on older production fg boats, the solutions and articles on repair often apply to my 1968 ketch.

I've had a constant subscription since issue 16 or 17.
    I subscribed to Professional Boatbuilder for a while, but it didn't really apply to me.
    I should get Small Boats.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    I think 40 years probably reached redundancy.
    I can see that. Open magazine, aha, caulking! yes, I can always use an efficient way to do that, flip to article... oh yes, stuffing the oakum in with a caulking iron... just like Noah... right... Even if you are eternally optimistic it will only take a few repeats of that over the years until you're like ... https://youtu.be/IEhHEOIYgMY
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Seems only fair to support the company that provides the free forum - so I subscribe.

I occasionally read others. Practical Boat has some good info.
    My approach as well. The forum didn't start me subscribing, but it helps bolster my decision to renew. And Professional Boatbuilder, of course. As well as several others - each of which have their own unique editorial focus.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I've had a constant subscription since issue 16 or 17.
    I subscribed to Professional Boatbuilder for a while, but it didn't really apply to me.
    I should get Small Boats.
    You should write a couple of articles for them! Send the Editor Chris an email , maybe a profile on your launch or the powering. They pay nicely for text and photos.
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

I subscribe for a couple of years, let it lapse, go into withdrawal and re-subscribe.

I've had a subscription for as long as I can remember. Over 20 years. I intend on keeping it for ever too. Some articles/issues are more interesting/ useful to me, some less so but that's ok. Worth every penny.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I maintained the digital subscription but stopped reading it for a while, close to a year.
    It seemed to be mostly about rich people making pretty objects.
    In the last few weeks I've been binge reading to catch up. I'm enjoying them again, especially the stuff going on in the south west of the UK.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

My current very small quarters has caused me to cease buying books and magazines, I read at the library. Wooden Boat is such a high quality that I would be compelled to keep them, but I no longer have the space. 5 years back I had to throw into recycling, over 50 years of The American Rifleman, could not find a taker. If I ever get space again, high on my list are about five books IIRC on keelboat design that I perused when there was a Barnes and Noble near where I sailed.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Nope, Never bought one.
    Generally do not read about boats ,books or magazines,except for here.
    I met the new publisher , Andrew , in Antigua recently, nice fellow.
    Ironically, my bride does writing and photography for 3 or 4 magazines. Classic Boat included, not WB.