Thread: Senco composite nail gun

Default Senco composite nail gun

Thinking about using plastic composite nails for the double layer forefoot on my Ninigret.

This gun gets me in the game for less than $200

https://www.nailgundepot.com/9g0001n...r-details.html

What do you think?

Default Re: Senco composite nail gun

I've never owned nor tried that model.

Senco is a solid brand that seems to have slipped slightly over the last years. I used to own a Senco 18g brad nailer that was designed for steel brads - but which would shoot the Raptor composite ammo just fine. When it was stolen, I replaced it with the exact same model. Which was machined just enough sloppier so that it mostly just wadded up the nylon ammo.

So now I own an Omer gun. Beautifully machined. Proven track record with the Raptor ammo. Quite happy. But it IS about $50 more...

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/rap-omer-12p.25.htm
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I would check first to see if they have brads of the right size for your job. Brads don't have a whole lot of holding power for a bent veneer that is trying to pop back off. Of course you can shoot in as many as it takes.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 07-21-2019 at 11:14 PM.

I have an Omer gun but I use it for nailing panels in place instead of faffing about with clamps while the pox is slipping all over. Amazing, all done in about 20 seconds. And you can leave the fasteners in, have to fill the divets a bit though. Small price. My nails are sorta T-shaped so I reckon they’d hold a fair bit. Can’t pull the short plastic nails out very easily. I’m pretty sure you can get staple guns too.

check out DuckWorks

a bit more $$ butt those folks stand by their products

the heat generated by the speed they go into the wood causes the polymer to melt and instantly cure creating a lot of holding power

in harder woods the fat little sprigs don't always drive all the way in leaving the heads proud

i just sand the heads off and go on...

a bit of glazing around each sprig and you're good to go/finish

the best use of them for me building small boats has been keeping clamped parts from slipping around while the pox/glue cures

i don't have to remove them for sanding/finishing

and WHEN parts do end up in a wrong place they can be cut apart w/o damaging a saw blade while only loosing a kerf's worth of wood leaving pieces suitable for smaller parts ;-)

just one more tool in the arsenal that makes the process a bit easier/quicker

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I used an Omer / Raptor for strip planking and the best thing is that when a nail catches a grain line and takes a hard left out the side of the board you just whack it off and sand it. These nails are brittle and don't hold a lot but are excellent for cinching stuff together while the glue hardens. You really want chisel point rather than pyramid point and run the chisel across grain to make it driver straighter, but you can take magazines of pyramid point nails to your stationary belt sander and make them chisel point. I am a fan,

Ken

I used a palm nailer with Raptor nails and recommend doing so. These were used in strip planking and required that holes were drilled. The palm nailer can be depowered if needed by means of washers in the hammer mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by CundysHarbor View Post
    I used a palm nailer with Raptor nails and recommend doing so. These were used in strip planking and required that holes were drilled. The palm nailer can be depowered if needed by means of washers in the hammer mechanism.
    Tell us more.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by kbowen View Post
    I used an Omer / Raptor for strip planking and the best thing is that when a nail catches a grain line and takes a hard left out the side of the board you just whack it off and sand it. These nails are brittle and don't hold a lot but are excellent for cinching stuff together while the glue hardens. You really want chisel point rather than pyramid point and run the chisel across grain to make it driver straighter, but you can take magazines of pyramid point nails to your stationary belt sander and make them chisel point. I am a fan,

Ken
    Don't hold a lot? My sense is that the 18g brads (the only ammo I've ever shot) grip better than comparable steel brads.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

OK... I got curious. According to Raptor, the composite nails have something like (it varies by gauge) 2/3 the shear (sideways) strength, but over twice the tensile (pull) strength. Since I use them with adhesive, it doesn't seem critical - but if I found myself using them without adhesive, that's a trade-off I can live with.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I have Omar/Raptor staple and nail guns. I use both for the build of my cold-molded daysailer. So far, I've driven about 5000 plastic staples putting WRC veneers on the hull. The gun has worked flawlessly, though the 3/8" staples do not have sufficient (tensile) holding power in cedar to keep the 1/8" veneers down over the tight bends in portions of the hull. Now that the hull is thicker, I'm switching to 1/2" staples and am expecting much better holding. In fairness, the metal staples I use for temporary fitting do not have better holding ability than plastic of the same length.

The luxury of leaving 5000 staples in place is priceless in my view. By the time I'm done, I'll have close to 10,000 forever buried in the hull.

Good luck,

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Don't hold a lot? My sense is that the 18g brads (the only ammo I've ever shot) grip better than comparable steel brads.
    The nails I used has some kind of coating that makes the initial pull-out strength impressive, but one can easily snap the nails in half between your fingers, so I have decided to only use them in securing stuff until adhesive cures. Sorry for the late reply, currently on an island without electric, etc.

Ken

here are pics of what i experienced w/ the composit sprigs

even in some soft woods they didn't always drive all the way in

sprigs not pulling in.jpg

they did HOLD really well for the glue to cure

once the glue cured i could either sand or use a cabbage file to remove the proud heads leaving the stems in place to keep on doing their job

remember the composit materials heat up when driven just like CC metal nails which cools/cures as instantly as it heated up when driven leaving a glued in composit dowel in place

cabage filing glue dots.jpg semi cured glue.jpg

when not if you screw up and do have to separate parts just use a thin kerf'd blade and cut them apart

the composit materials do not harm the blades and leave a smooth surface to go on with

no tearing.jpg

Timo i hope this helps

i still like these fasteners for what they are ... "hold tights" while the glue cures

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I ordered some 5/8" long 18 gauge from Duckworks. I was surprised by the tiny box they came in, but they are tiny nails. 2000 in this little box they say.
    I tried them in my harbor freight nailer and they work fine. As long as that is still the case when I have the epoxy out I'll be happy.
    The 18 gauge is really small though. So if I end up buying an Omer nailer I will go with the 15 gauge.

As far as I know Senco only made composite nailers for about a year so who knows how long their plastic brads will be around.

Are 16 gauge plastic nails available? I have a Paslode straight bradder and wouldnt mind trying plastic nails for some projects.
    If you cant make it accurate, make it adjustable.

guess this is why Senco stuff was only around for a year:
    http://contractorsupplymagazine.com/...cera-SENCO.php
    bought out by redhawk

"Are 16 gauge plastic nails available? I have a Paslode straight bradder and wouldnt mind trying plastic nails for some projects"

15 or 18 gauge as far as I see.