Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighthouses

Default Lighthouses

Cap D'Or lighthouse is located three-quarters of the way up the Bay of Fundy where the bay splits into Chignecto Bay to the north and Cobequid Bay to the east. Average tides here are around ten metres (35 feet). The light is now an unmanned one, making the two lighthouse keepers houses redundant, so a local entrepreneur has leased them and turned them into a very nicely appointed guest house, The one closest to the light is the kitchen & dining hall (excellent food, BTW), and the other is a 4-bedroom home in which you can rent a room for $135 per night. A few kilometers away is Cape Chignecto National Park, which has spectacular sea cliffs and many scenic hiking trails.

Last edited by mmd; 07-17-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Lighthouses

Keep going...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Cap D'Or lighthouse is located three-quarters of the way up the Bay of Fundy where the bay splits into Chignecto Bay to the north and Cobequid Bay to the east.
    isn't there a super-scenic ocean side highway that stretches for a few hundred miles around there?

do katherine and i need to plan a vacation there for soon? what three weekends of summer do you think would be best? are there any festivals we should plan on attending? what would be an appropriate rental vehicle: suv, fast euro style sports sedan, convertible sports car?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Here you go, Paul: https://www.novascotia.com/travel-guide

"isn't there a super-scenic ocean side highway that stretches for a few hundred miles around there?" Many.

"do katherine and i need to plan a vacation there for soon?" I have encouraged you two to come visit for years. Before she met you, and she was visiting Halifax for work, I encouraged Katharine to come visit Maureen & I so we could show her around a bit. I think that it is approaching twenty years of encouragement by now, but still you resist. Your call...

"what three weekends of summer do you think would be best?" I like late summer and early autumn best.

"are there any festivals we should plan on attending?" There are hundreds. See the tourism guide I posted a link to above.

"what would be an appropriate rental vehicle: suv, fast euro style sports sedan, convertible sports car?" It depends on what you would like to do and where you would like to go. If you let me help plan your itinery, you should rent a sport ute with decent ground clearance, because I will send you to off-the-beaten-path little gems that often involve bumpy dirt roads.

"do katherine and i need to plan a vacation there for soon?" I have encouraged you two to come visit for years. Before she met you, and she was visiting Halifax for work, I encouraged Katharine to come visit Maureen & I so we could show her around a bit. I think that it is approaching twenty years of encouragement by now, but still you resist. Your call...
    its tough ya know, until recently katherine only received two weeks of vacation per annum

are you suggesting i should visit your home province without her?

The Salvages lighthouse, entrance to Negro Harbour, Shelburne County, NS.

"are you suggesting i should visit your home province without her?"

I'm not suggesting anything; I'm just answering your questions, and referencing past encouragements.

Western Light, Brier Island, NS. Brier Island is the birthplace of Joshua Slocum, the first person to circumnavigate the globe alone.

Westport, the main settlement on Brier Island:

Loving this...

Is that shed or rent or sale, or in anyway up for occupancy for a peppercorn rent due to employment downfalls or reasons totally beyond the present owners control, such as ill health or the onset of mental perturbations?
    Last edited by lupussonic; 07-16-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Sorry, but nope. Fishing is good, money is in the bank, and the lawn chairs on the dock are there so the locals can have a beer and watch the sunset and the ferry taking the last of the day-trippers away. In-season (November thru March, when you don't want to be there anyway), that wharf will be filled with lobster pots stacked eight high. But rooms are to be had in town, nice ones, too, but not for a tuppence. You can book a night at the Bay of Fundy Inn (pic below) that includes a room for two at the Inn, breakfast, and a 3-to-5 hour whale watching tour for CDN$175, which is a pretty good deal.

cdn$175
    $130usd

Gilbert's Cove light, on St. Mary's Bay. That is Digby Neck and Brier Island off in the distance, and the Bay of Fundy is on the other side of the Neck. Tide range here is about 5m (15 ft).

Careful there, Michael, my lady has been asking for vacation suggestions - I may be 'forced' to show her this thread (thanks for posting)

Rick

From the left coast, Cape Mudge

Give me a shout if you plan to visit, Rick. I'll help with local knowledge. Visit us if you can.
    Last edited by mmd; 07-16-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Cape St. Mary's light, Cape St. Mary's, Digby County, NS., with the mile-long sands of Mavillette Beach off in the distance to the right.

Swallowtail Lighthouse, Grand Manan NB. The pic I have on my wall at home is from about 1920, with a schooner in the foreground ...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Hell, there's even a lighthouse about 10 minutes' walk from my house in Fredericton, from the days when the Saint John river was used for navigation. Of course, the power dams starting a few miles upstream and the train bridge you can see on the left a few hundred yards downstream have kinda put an end to that...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Cape Spear, Newfoundland.

DSC_0134.jpg
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

I hear you about the good ol' days, TomF. Here's a photo of the cove at Cape St. Mary's circa 1897 (some pretty little boats there, pre-Cape Island style, which came to dominate the inshore fishery about twenty years later) :

I hear you about the good ol' days, TomF.
    Here's the photo I have on my wall! Ain't the internet a great place?

I have seen that photo before; it is lovely. Is your copy B&W, or hand-tinted colour?

Fitz, as you know, that is the 'new' lighthouse, built in 1955 but using the old light. This is the old lighthouse, built in 1836:

Mine's B&W. Not as large a print as I'd like, but still.

Hmmm...

Now, where did I set that verdamte pencil?

Peace,
    This Little Light Of Mine...

Another one inspired by Fitz - a drone aerial video of Cape Spear in winter, with some ice pack and an iceberg or two on the coast. Rugged place, eh?

This one is right in front of our house, itís been in my world my whole life. When I was a kid, it was abandoned, and we used to play in it, now itís a well-loved Summer home. Sister Island Light, about 6 miles downstream of Alexandria Bay, on the St. Lawrence River.

AAA20572-C450-41C0-8E03-ABD9D3D9F59C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by

[IMG
    https://www.novascotiawhalewatching.ca/filemanager/images/IMG_7675.jpg[/IMG]
    Does that boat not look a bit overloaded with people?

There really IS something about lighthouses. Is it that they evoke a vision of comfort and safety after a journey?

"We'll leave a light on for ya"
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

oldsub86, the boat is crowded, but not overloaded. It looks bad because everyone on board is crowding the stbd rail to look at the whale. The boat is licensed to carry 50 passengers, and stability investigations calculated the effect of that many 80kg people standing on the rail and on the wheelhouse roof. The operator is a smart, conscientious captain with a lot of experience and not given to take chances with his boat or his customers. I surveyed that boat two years ago.

the effect of that many 80kg people standing on the rail and on the wheelhouse roof
    so not your average american then?

For decades the "average person" mass for stability calculations was 65kg (145 lbs). A few years ago it was recognized by The Powers That Be that this was unrealistic and that in recent decades people have gotten bigger and heavier. So the USCG, ISO, and classification societies collaborated on a study to determine what the average mass of people in western countries actually was. They determined that the average combined mass of men, women, and children was 80kg (176 lbs). You and I are above that median, but, my daughter and I together would average close to the stability standard. It is the responsibility of the naval architect performing the stability calculations to determine whether the average mass is applicable to the boat being evaluated. For example, were I to be calculating stability for a small boat to carry a contingent of fully-kitted-out marines, I would bump the average mass per person up considerably.

The appropriately-named Sandy Point lighthouse at the entrance to Shelburne Harbour:

Looking westward into the harbour with the town of Shelburne in the distance. Shelburne harbour is one of the largest and deepest ice-free harbours in eastern North America:

Looking eastward out into the North Atlantic, with McNutt's Island protecting the mouth of the harbour:

Western Light, Brier Island, NS. Brier Island is the birthplace of Joshua Slocum, the first person to circumnavigate the globe alone.

The wife's brother retired to Brier Island maybe five years ago. He seems to really like it.

What do you guys do for entertainment out there? I'm guessing pot string knot trading, and other types of fish talk gets old pretty quick.

I give you our local Skerryvore Lighthouse. (visible from Mull)

skerryvore.jpg
    Last edited by birlinn; 07-17-2019 at 03:08 PM.