Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: news to "drop" mid-day today...

Default Re: news to "drop" mid-day today...

Alan, the documents just released prove that Donald Trump and Hope Hicks spoke on the phone with Michael Cohen to arrange hush money payments to Stormy Daniels and to Karen McDougal. The transcripts of texts show that the sole intent of these payments was to keep the public unaware, and in particular to keep cable news networks unable to report - thereby helping protect Trump's electoral chances. It's astonishing that Cohen was so bloody stupid to have written some of the texts he did, which make the intent so plain. So take your disparaging gif and shove it - the rule of law matters.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

So here's the big question : Why did SDNY "finish" their investigation? Were they ordered to drop it? If so, at whose direction was that order made?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    the rule of law matters.
    Not to Republicans.

What are you doing about it?

So take your disparaging gif and shove it - the rule of law matters.
    Plus 1.

No bail for Epstein

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Not to Republicans.
    or trolls

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    So here's the big question : Why did SDNY "finish" their investigation? Were they ordered to drop it? If so, at whose direction was that order made?
    I'd really like to see an answer to this.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Possibly, they found all they needed to indict Trump but they can't because of the DOJ policy, same reason Mueller couldn't discuss it. So now, like Mueller, the only thing they can say is, we're done. Up to someone else now.

Meanwhile, Cohen's in jail, others have flipped, their cooperation is complete, no more juice in the orange.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Possibly, they found all they needed to indict Trump but they can't because of the DOJ policy, same reason Mueller couldn't discuss it. So now, like Mueller, the only thing they can say is, we're done. Up to someone else now.

Meanwhile, Cohen's in jail, others have flipped, their cooperation is complete, no more juice in the orange.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

"The strong scent of 'obstruction of justice' permeated the offices of SDNY as several attorneys smiled and cast glances toward the White House."

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    "The strong scent of 'obstruction of justice' permeated the offices of SDNY as several attorneys smiled and cast glances toward the White House."
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

disparaging gif? it's cats doing CPR. if that's not adorable i dunno what is.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    disparaging gif? it's cats doing CPR. if that's not adorable i dunno what is.
    Admittedly, the cats themselves were cute.

Be honest, though.

It insinuates a last ditch, desperate measure, which is what CPR is. There is nothing desperate about the FACT the president paid for sex, then paid people to not talk about it.

See, because the whole Republican Party apparatus is attacking Kamala Harris, portraying her as an adulteress and home wrecker? Yeah, I heard it with my own ears in a “news” program.
    Meanwhile, the champion of the party met his current wife while on a date with his former wife, which seems to define what a home wrecker is.
    He also admitted to extramarital affairs, and paying for them, and paying to have them hushed.

How can you honestly say holding one person accountable for behavior another is held accountable for is unfair? Especially if, in the one case, there were actually alleged criminal activities...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Admittedly, the cats themselves were cute.

Be honest, though.

It insinuates a last ditch, desperate measure, which is what CPR is. There is nothing desperate about the FACT the president paid for sex, then paid people to not talk about it.

See, because the whole Republican Party apparatus is attacking Kamala Harris, portraying her as an adulteress and home wrecker? Yeah, I heard it with my own ears in a “news” program.
    Meanwhile, the champion of the party met his current wife while on a date with his former wife, which seems to define what a home wrecker is.
    He also admitted to extramarital affairs, and paying for them, and paying to have them hushed.

How can you honestly say holding one person accountable for behavior another is held accountable for is unfair? Especially if, in the one case, there were actually alleged criminal activities...

Peace,
    Robert

when broken down to 'paid for sex, paid to keep quiet about it" it turns into ho hum happens all day every day'ness. i don't follow the kamala "affairs" stuff. i also don't watch desperate housewives of atl.

when broken down to 'paid for sex, paid to keep quiet about it" it turns into ho hum happens all day every day'ness. i don't follow the kamala "affairs" stuff. i also don't watch desperate housewives of atl.
    Really?

You choose to be like that to me?

Suit yourself.

Peace,
    Emperor For Life

Alan, as you've chosen to forget, the illegal bit wasn't the sex - that was just tawdry and immoral. The illegal bit was intentionally buying "something of value" (the women's silence) for hundreds of thousands of dollars to assist Trump's electoral chances. And yeah, Cohen's texts with his co-fixers show this "illegal intent" very clearly indeed. The objective was not, as some mouthpieces have tried to claim, Trump wanting to hide his sleaziness from Melania and the kids like any ho-hum philanderer.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Really?

You choose to be like that to me?

Suit yourself.

Peace,
    Emperor For Life

i didn't think i was being like anything to you. i'm admittedly not following the latest "we got'em now" trump news, just catching the highlights in here. is there anything more to this stormy story besides "he paid to keep someone quiet about something"? i mean, while not flattering, it's not illegal to make confidentiality contracts.

i also honestly have no idea what all the kamala affair talk is about. and that's b/c i just don't care. did she have some affairs? eh, don't tell me... i don't care to know. my wife always tries to tell me the juicy gossip. i continuously tell her i don't want to know. kamala gettin busy with whomever has no impact on my life., but rob getting mad at me does... for real.

Alan, as you've chosen to forget, the illegal bit wasn't the sex - that was just tawdry and immoral. The illegal bit was intentionally buying "something of value" (the women's silence) for hundreds of thousands of dollars to assist Trump's electoral chances. And yeah, Cohen's texts with his co-fixers show this "illegal intent" very clearly indeed. The objective was not, as some mouthpieces have tried to claim, Trump wanting to hide his sleaziness from Melania and the kids like any ho-hum philanderer.

hey, if it's illegal, then they should do something about it. from what i recall the last go around with this, they were talking about it being a "campaign finance violation" which would carry virtually no penalty whatsoever. if that's the goal, get after it i suppose.

i didn't think i was being like anything to you. i'm admittedly not following the latest "we got'em now" trump news, just catching the highlights in here. is there anything more to this stormy story besides "he paid to keep someone quiet about something"? i mean, while not flattering, it's not illegal to make confidentiality contracts.

i also honestly have no idea what all the kamala affair talk is about. and that's b/c i just don't care. did she have some affairs? eh, don't tell me... i don't care to know. my wife always tries to tell me the juicy gossip. i continuously tell her i don't want to know. kamala gettin busy with whomever has no impact on my life., but rob getting mad at me does... for real.

You are disingenuous. And, you are trying to be insulting about my news sources.

So you REALLY think I’m that Cassandra? Really? Where have I run around wringing my hands, calling for anything except understanding and tolerance? Except, admittedly, in the cases of bullies, Nazis, rapists, molesters, and murderers. No sympathy from me there.

I listen to and read many news sources, and not gossip sites. That you are ignorant of the election campaigns and lawsuits against the President does NOT give you pass to mock. In fact, admitting such invalidates all your opinions.

Mostly, though, Alan, despite my having treated you as nothing but a human being, you decide to treat me as a Them. So, how are you better than the ones you complain about? I am, admittedly, imperfect and severely wanting in social situations, but I aspire to my convictions always.

It’s nothing but sad, and it reflects only poorly on your ability to seriously converse with the one guy who’s proven to respect and consider your opinions.

Until now.

Peace,
    Robert

Alan has shown himself to be unworthy of serious thought or time. I just read his posts for comic relief.
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

hey, if it's illegal, then they should do something about it. from what i recall the last go around with this, they were talking about it being a "campaign finance violation" which would carry virtually no penalty whatsoever. if that's the goal, get after it i suppose.
    The Righty blogosphere was talking about "virtually no penalty whatsoever." Because a typical campaign finance violation is an inadvertent over-contribution of maybe a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars, which gets paid back and a minor fine is assessed. "Inadvertent" is quite different from "with criminal intent," paid through intermediaries, and lied about. It's different again when we're talking roughly $300K. I agree that they should do something about it - which is why folks earlier in the thread were asking "Why did the FBI pull a 180? Why did the investigation come to an abrupt stop when Barr became AG?"

You are disingenuous. And, you are trying to be insulting about my news sources.

So you REALLY think I’m that Cassandra? Really? Where have I run around wringing my hands, calling for anything except understanding and tolerance? Except, admittedly, in the cases of bullies, Nazis, rapists, molesters, and murderers. No sympathy from me there.

I listen to and read many news sources, and not gossip sites. That you are ignorant of the election campaigns and lawsuits against the President does NOT give you pass to mock. In fact, admitting such invalidates all your opinions.

Mostly, though, Alan, despite my having treated you as nothing but a human being, you decide to treat me as a Them. So, how are you better than the ones you complain about? I am, admittedly, imperfect and severely wanting in social situations, but I aspire to my convictions always.

It’s nothing but sad, and it reflects only poorly on your ability to seriously converse with the one guy who’s proven to respect and consider your opinions.

Until now.

Peace,
    Robert

dang man, i'm not trying to do any of that. and, you made me have to look up what being "cassandra" meant. quit expanding my knowledge base

[serious]
    generally, i'm not a very serious person. i like to kid around and laugh my way through time and space. i suppose that comes off bad sometimes, but it's not something i'm actively trying to accomplish. and so, my apologies rob. sincerely, from my not often accessed serious side.

[/end serious]

c'mon. i can't have a bicyclin, marathon runnin, amish lookin, softball coachin, ninja choppin guy be mad at me. there's too many ways you could kill me for me to be prepared.

The Righty blogosphere was talking about "virtually no penalty whatsoever." Because a typical campaign finance violation is an inadvertent over-contribution of maybe a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars, which gets paid back and a minor fine is assessed. "Inadvertent" is quite different from "with criminal intent," paid through intermediaries, and lied about. It's different again when we're talking roughly $300K. I agree that they should do something about it - which is why folks earlier in the thread were asking "Why did the FBI pull a 180? Why did the investigation come to an abrupt stop when Barr became AG?"

honest question. is there anything written in the finance laws that defines certain dollar amounts that differentiates what kind of penalty/punishment there is? ie, is there a difference between a $1 and $1,000,000 instance?

honest question. is there anything written in the finance laws that defines certain dollar amounts that differentiates what kind of penalty/punishment there is? ie, is there a difference between a $1 and $1,000,000 instance?
    I believe that the way to treat larger or smaller $ figures is left to judicial discretion - bigger is worse, of course, even when it's just inattention and sloppiness. It's a very different game, though, when the illegal campaign contribution happens with criminal intent. Which Cohen's texts before the election, and the coverup after the election prove.

I believe that the way to treat larger or smaller $ figures is left to judicial discretion - bigger is worse, of course, even when it's just inattention and sloppiness. It's a very different game, though, when the illegal campaign contribution happens with criminal intent. Which Cohen's texts before the election, and the coverup after the election prove.

again, honest question. does it legally make a difference what the intent was? i know for some crimes intent matters, just don't know about this one.

dang man, i'm not trying to do any of that. and, you made me have to look up what being "cassandra" meant. quit expanding my knowledge base

[serious]
    generally, i'm not a very serious person. i like to kid around and laugh my way through time and space. i suppose that comes off bad sometimes, but it's not something i'm actively trying to accomplish. and so, my apologies rob. sincerely, from my not often accessed serious side.

[/end serious]

c'mon. i can't have a bicyclin, marathon runnin, amish lookin, softball coachin, ninja choppin guy be mad at me. there's too many ways you could kill me for me to be prepared.
    Not mad. I don’t get mad too easily, despite how it seems when my tone changes.

There is nobody on the planet more in love with life and fun than me. My goal is to be the most responsible, immature person in any given setting. I embrace the childlike nature of life. I lounge about in the grass with the dog and cats, and make bad puns about everything.

Except.

There are lines. At my house, the line is when you stop being cool to everyone else. The rule here is Be Cool. I have had rival gang members in my home, at a party, and there were no problems.
    Because I’m big and tough and strong and scary?

No. Because I’m Luke Skywalker.

My strength is larger than myself. I find strength in the beauty of the world around me. Even opponents, foes, and those whose views and outlooks are simply opposed.

The point is, though, this behavior of yours is the problem. You continue to stir pots you admittedly don’t know the contents of, and imagine it’s someone else causing the ruckus.

Jokes are Jokes, and I’m great at it.

But, Go Home? Eff that Ess. Period. My grandfather came here, and despite speaking broken English, went to the Pacific Theatre, where he found a Purple Heart all studded up with bits of other hearts. Dig?

His reward? A lifetime of being called Dumb Portagee, and being mocked for his accent, told to go back where he belonged.
    And, the same fate was to befall my father, and my brother and I. I very well remember being told to go back home, and thinking these kids had somehow learned I was born in LA, while my folks were visiting...

There is a line.

Peace,
    Robert
    Last edited by amish rob; 07-18-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Not mad. I don’t get mad too easily, despite how it seems when my tone changes.

There is nobody on the planet more in love with life and fun than me. My goal is to be the most responsible, immature person in any given setting. I embrace the childlike nature of life. I lounge about in the grass with the dog and cats, and make bad puns about everything.

Except.

There are lines. At my house, the line is when you stop being cool to everyone else. The rule here is Be Cool. I have had rival gang members in my home, at a party, and there were no problems.
    Because I’m big and tough and strong and scary?

No. Because I’m Luke Skywalker.

My strength is larger than myself. I find strength in the beauty of the world around me. Even opponents, foes, and those who’s views and outlooks are simply opposed.

The point is, though, this behavior of yours is the problem. You continue to stir pots you admittedly don’t know the contents of, and imagine it’s someone else causing the ruckus.

Jokes are Jokes, and I’m great at it.

But, Go Home? Eff that Ess. Period. My grandfather came here, and despite speaking broken English, went to the Pacific Theatre, where he found a Purple Heart all studded up with bits of other hearts. Dig?

His reward? A lifetime of being called Dumb Portagee, and being mocked for his accent, told to go back where he belonged.
    And, the same fate was to befall my father, and my brother and I. I very well remember being told to go back home, and thinking these kids had somehow learned I was born in LA, while my folks were visiting...

There is a line.

Peace,
    Robert

i do at least attempt to relate to that as much as i can. i only stir pots to drive conversation. sometimes it goes well, sometimes not... but it's never done with malice or ill will.

and thanks rob, now i'm scared sheetless that you have a damn light saber in your possession.

Put him on IGNORE...he's a bobbys/Sky Blue wannabe! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    Put him on IGNORE...he's a bobbys/Sky Blue wannabe! Ha!

again, honest question. does it legally make a difference what the intent was? i know for some crimes intent matters, just don't know about this one.
    In this law it absolutely makes a difference. The "spirit of the law" is about safeguarding free and fair elections, because these are the foundation of America's Constitutional system of representation. An accidental toe-over-the-line contribution is not uncommon - and it's dealt with using minor fines etc. because the letter but not the spirit is broken. "Criminal intent" directly attacks the spirit of the law, though, because it attempts to subvert that Constitutional principle. And in this case, arguably it succeeded.

i do at least attempt to relate to that as much as i can. i only stir pots to drive conversation. sometimes it goes well, sometimes not... but it's never done with malice or ill will.

and thanks rob, now i'm scared sheetless that you have a damn light saber in your possession.
    No laser swords. My QiGong IS coming along, though. We are indifferent from the Qi around us, you know? That’s the illusion of life, that we are separate and separated.

Peace,
    One

Intent is key. Dollar amount is not material here - simply "of value". If one dollar was "of value" to the recipient when there was intent, it is an issue.
    -William A. Ward

No laser swords. My QiGong IS coming along, though. We are indifferent from the Qi around us, you know? That’s the illusion of life, that we are separate and separated.

Peace,
    One

dammit, you're making look more stuff up

In this law it absolutely makes a difference. The "spirit of the law" is about safeguarding free and fair elections, because these are the foundation of America's Constitutional system of representation. An accidental toe-over-the-line contribution is not uncommon - and it's dealt with using minor fines etc. because the letter but not the spirit is broken. "Criminal intent" directly attacks the spirit of the law, though, because it attempts to subvert that Constitutional principle. And in this case, arguably it succeeded.
    Yep, the intent's the thing.