Thread: Reagan really did set the GOP agenda!

Default Reagan really did set the GOP agenda!

So much for the loving old grandpa image...

In a newly unearthed audio clip, then-California Gov. Ronald Reagan disparaged "monkeys" from African countries in a phone call with then-President Richard Nixon, according to the former director of Nixon's presidential library, who published his findings in The Atlantic.

Tim Naftali, who directed the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum from 2007 to 2011, writes that Reagan -- who would later become the 40th President of the United States -- called Nixon in October 1971, the day after the United Nations had voted to recognize the People's Republic of China. In the call, he says, Reagan is heard apparently referencing the way the Tanzanian delegation started dancing in the General Assembly when the UN took the vote to seat the delegation from Beijing instead of Taiwan.

Reagan, Naftali writes, is heard saying to Nixon, "Last night, I tell you, to watch that thing on television as I did."

Reagan continued, "To see those, those monkeys from those African countries -- damn them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes!"

Reagan -- a devoted defender of Taiwan who despised the UN -- wanted the US to withdraw from full participation, Naftali said.

The National Archives originally released the tape of the phone call in 2000 without the racist portion, but as a researcher, Naftali said, he requested a new review of Nixon's conversations with Reagan last year. The National Archives released the complete version of the recording online two weeks ago.

In another audio clip, Naftali writes, Nixon then called then-Secretary of State William Rogers and recounted his conversation with Reagan.

"As you can imagine," Nixon told Rogers, "there's strong feeling that we just shouldn't, as (Reagan) said, he saw these ... cannibals on television last night, and he says, 'Christ, they weren't even wearing shoes, and here the United States is going to submit its fate to that,' and so forth and so on."

The newly unearthed audio comes weeks after President Donald Trump used racist language to attack four progressive Democratic congresswomen of color, implying they weren't American and suggesting they "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came."

The President faced swift backlash from both Democrats and Republicans, and the
    House voted to formally condemn Trump's racist language.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/re...cid=spartandhp

Default Re: Reagan really did set the GOP agenda!

I am not at all surprised.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue

nope.. not at all. The scary thing is, Reagan isn't even extreme enough for the GOP right now.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Yep,

https://www.google.com/search?q=reag...igining+racism

now maybe go reopen your locked Baltimore thread.. 'cause you were the one refusing to debate the facts.

I wouldn't say RayGun 'set' the GOP agenda.

But he was the first (of several) non-professional politicians who was ignorantly and stupidly sympathetic to the agenda of the Oligarchs and Southern-Strategy-Republicans. In his ignorance of politics, the nuts & bolts of domestic policy, and the intricacies of foreign policy - he was easily manipulated - and seemingly quite happy to be manipulated - by the monied interests. With his public speaking skills and actors ability to play a sympathetic and likable role... he was perfect for their purposes.

He was a big step forward for them.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

^ twisting words. Reagan was a puppet, still, his campaign and administration - tho controlled by others - set the scene for today.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    ^ twisting words. Reagan was a puppet, still, his campaign and administration - tho controlled by others - set the scene for today.
    Yes, his tenure really did 'set the scene for today'. Not attempting to twist words... just offering precision. If you want to modify the title to 'Reagan Administration Really Did Advance...' then we're almost there. Precision matters when comprehending the pattern.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Yep,

https://www.google.com/search?q=reag...igining+racism

now maybe go reopen your locked Baltimore thread.. 'cause you were the one refusing to debate the facts.
    I was tired of liberals responding to Trump's dog whistle without thinking. I know the facts. I spent the first half of my life there.

Reagan 'taught us' we can spend borrowed money and never have to pay it back. Reagan screwed a lot of people, most of whom thanked him.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

The agenda was set with Nixon's Southern Strategy. RayGun was just a fellow traveler.

It would seem by now that Republicans are inherently racist. That's a wide tar brush, I know, I know. Still.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    It would seem by now that Republicans are inherently racist. That's a wide tar brush, I know, I know. Still.
    I'll go so far as to say they are fiscal racists. They view the federal social programs as inherently preferential with regard to race and that expense drives them to be prejudice. I doubt that it extends beyond money for them, but money is paramount to Republicans.