Thread: I miss Al Franken

Default I miss Al Franken

But I hear from him every once in a while personally as you can see be the greeting on this email he sent me. Heís just asking that we sign a petition, no donation involved.
    Dear Person on My E-mail List,
    Normally, I ask very little of you, because, letís face it, you usually canít be bothered to do anything that doesnít help you personally. As you can tell, Iím not running for office or asking for a donation to a worthy cause. Iím just asking that you sign a petition to stop a terrible person from becoming the acting Secretary of Labor.Oh, crap. One other thing. I'd also like to ask you to share the petition and tell your friends. And that's it. Oh, crap again. There's another thing. This week, author and Atlantic staff writer, Franklin Foer joins me on the Podcast to discuss Big Tech. Are filter bubbles dividing us? Is Facebook deliberately keeping us angry and upset? Is everyoneís attention span dwindling? WAKE UP!So that's it. Sign the petition. Share the petition. Listen to the podcast.And also, we're building a house for Habitat for Humanity in some ****hole country on Saturday. Please join us if you can. So that's it.AlP.S. Since I finally got you to do something that's not just about you, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel.

Default Re: I miss Al Franken

His new(ish) podcast is really good. Interesting guests, interesting subjects. I think episode 10 is out now.

I miss him too. His replacement (Tina Smith) is fine, but not in the same class at all.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Thanks for the link. I'm now a subscriber.
    I read somewhere that he's decided to not run for any more offices. Franni just didn't like DC or the people inside the beltway. She was probably furious about what happened, but then realized the stress level had dropped by 90%.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

'preciate it!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I felt he got a raw deal and it was a perfect demonstration of how Democrats will turn on each other when any sign of human imperfection is found. They guy is good. He chose the correct side in a lot of issues and he fought the good fight.

I think it was before we realized how deep the orange hypocrisy would go. Maybe we thought people on both sides would do the right thing. Oh how naive we were way back then.

Senator Kirsten Hillebrand from NY was the first to call for him to resign. And she is paying for it with lukewarm support for her presidential bid.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Maybe he should run for President?

Or a cabinet position maybe?
    It would be nice to see some intelligence come back to DC.

I miss him, too.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Senator Kirsten Hillebrand from NY was the first to call for him to resign. And she is paying for it with lukewarm support for her presidential bid.
    I'm from ny, I wouldn't ever consider supporting her in a primary.

Al should have dressed up like Gov Gov Northam and he would still be in.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Al should have dressed up like Gov Gov Northam and he would still be in.
    If Al had been a Republican there would have been no worries
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

American Puritanism is a cultural habit, that runs deeper than any mere affiliation or opinion. Contrary to popular belief, it's not just for the ignorant. Ms. Gillebrand isn't ignorant.

But itís precisely their intellectual rigor that made the Puritans so disturbing to Atwood.

Discussing [Perry] Millerís influence on the novel, she said, ďYou often hear in North America, ĎIt canít happen here,í but it happened quite early on. The Puritans banished people who didnít agree with them, so we would be rather smug to assume that the seeds are not there.Ē Indeed this is precisely what Millerís scholarship offered her, a warning about the dangers of smugness. The Puritans were among the most educated people to grace American soil (the founders of Harvard and Yale after all) and yet they were the same who expelled Roger Williams and Anne Hutchinson, the same who executed twenty at Salem. Reflecting on this legacy, Atwood explains, ďThatís why I set the book in Cambridge.Ē

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/162859
    Margaret Atwood dedicated The Handmaid's Tale to Perry Miller.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

The first few episodes of his podcast were very good, but the last couple I've listened were... rather irritatingly self-aggrandizing.

In particular I'm thinking of the Dana Carvey episode, the first 20 minutes was just Franken glorifying his Good Old Days (both at SNL and in the Senate).

His guests come off rather brilliantly by comparison.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

New Yorker reporter Jane Mayer has checked out the main harassment claim originally leveled against Franken and found it doesn’t check out. Appears now that he was set up by a conservative sleazebag and took the fall because he thought is was the honorable thing to do.

″Almost NOTHING His Main Accuser Said checks out,” Mayer tweeted Monday, referring to Leeann Tweeden, a conservative talk-radio host who in November 2017 became the first woman to publicly accuse Franken of sexual misconduct.”

what? people make these things up?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    what? people make these things up?
    It appears conservative radio talk show sleazebags do. So that’s you cue Alan for a Whataboutism line.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    New Yorker reporter Jane Mayer has checked out the main harassment claim originally leveled against Franken and found it doesn’t check out. Appears now that he was set up by a conservative sleazebag and took the fall because he thought is was the honorable thing to do.

″Almost NOTHING His Main Accuser Said checks out,” Mayer tweeted Monday, referring to Leeann Tweeden, a conservative talk-radio host who in November 2017 became the first woman to publicly accuse Franken of sexual misconduct.”
    Amanda Marcotte has a much different take on Mayer's piece:

https://www.salon.com/2019/07/22/wha...ken-denialism/

Would any Minnesotans care to opine on how Tina Smith is doing in the Senate?
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.