Thread: Repaint or strip and repaint? Also looking for other advice..

Question Repaint or strip and repaint? Also looking for other advice..

Hi all, first time poster.

Quick backstory on this boat, her name is Wisp: It's a plywood/epoxy kit boat based on a friendship sloop and was sold by a company called Classic Boat Kits out of Ontario back in the 80's. It's 19' (give or take). It's very similar to The Weekender kits I've seen around but our boat has a swing keel. It belonged to my wife's dad and she learned to sail on it as a kid. A few years ago he gave it to her and was working on the ramp to get it out of the boathouse when he suddenly got ill and passed away. We had to sell his property and along with it the boat since we'd have no way to get there and work on the ramp (several provinces away and it was an island). A month after the sale the new owner called and said if we can get it out by the end of the month (which was a week and a bit away at the time) we can have it, yay! We managed to get it barged off the island and sent to us. I have zero experience with boats in terms of maintenance but I'm pretty good with similar projects and always willing to learn.

I'm not worried about the work load or timeline - really want to do what's best for the boat since it has a lot of sentimental value.

Now for the questions:

- In shipping it took some ding and the hull paint got scratched up pretty good in places. Would it be better to strip it all down (using something like citrus strip or the soy based one) since we have no idea what kind of paint is on it now, or level out the scratches and paint with a primer like interlux pre-kote?

- All the wood fixtures have to be redone (handrails, hatches, etc), the varnish is either cracking or completely flaking off. From what I've seen the citrus or soy strippers should work fine for this, anyone have experience with using those to remove varnishes?

- Not really a question, but I can see the swing keel will need repainting and some surface rust taken off. Might replace the swing bolt just because I'll have it apart anyway. Accepting helpful advice.

- The original write up and receipt (wish we had the plans) called for a wheel instead of a tiller. Tiller works good enough but it takes up a good portion of the seating area/cockpit, plus it'd be fun to bring it back to it's original design. It looks like it used a pulley system to steer, between the transom and the cockpit walls I can see pulleys on the side walls. Any hints on how this may have been rigged up? Again this boat appears very similar to The Weekender and I may order those plans just to have something to base it off of.

If more pictures or any pictures in particular would help let me know, or a transcription of the original receipt/order.

Thanks! Looking forward to being part of the community.

Pictures (I've given it a wash since taking these ):

_DSC1374.jpg _DSC1379.jpg IMG_20190706_104402332.jpg

IMG_20190709_154034334.jpg IMG_20190709_154433666.jpg

Default Re: Repaint or strip and repaint? Also looking for other advice..

Welcome to the Forum.

If it is just localised dings and scratches but the rest of the paint is sound do not strip it. Feather out the missing paint, make good any superficial damage to the wood with epoxy based filler and patch prime and undercoat. Then sand all of the paint and give her one more coat of gloss to freshen her up.

Can you take the bright work off the boat to strip and re-varnish on the bench? Would be easier in the long run.

See if you can get the steel keel out, shot-blast it and have it hot dipped galvanised.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yer gonna want to get a decent RO (random orbital) sander. Eventually, every square inch , inside and out, gets sanded. The 5 inch De Walt jobbie is a good value .
    Educate yourself on epoxy. It can have many uses on the vessel.
    Consider painting her a lighter color.
    I just love seeing a boat come along that has sentimental value, it's the best thing can happen to her.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Welcome to the Forum.

If it is just localised dings and scratches but the rest of the paint is sound do not strip it. Feather out the missing paint, make good any superficial damage to the wood with epoxy based filler and patch prime and undercoat. Then sand all of the paint and give her one more coat of gloss to freshen her up.

Can you take the bright work off the boat to strip and re-varnish on the bench? Would be easier in the long run.

See if you can get the steel keel out, shot-blast it and have it hot dipped galvanised.
    Excellent, thanks. 90% of the bright work can come off, most of it bolted through. I'll check around for places that can do galvanizing. I'm in a small town so probably will involve a little driving.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Yer gonna want to get a decent RO (random orbital) sander. Eventually, every square inch , inside and out, gets sanded. The 5 inch De Walt jobbie is a good value .
    Educate yourself on epoxy. It can have many uses on the vessel.
    Consider painting her a lighter color.
    I just love seeing a boat come along that has sentimental value, it's the best thing can happen to her.
    Bruce
    Thanks, I'll check out the DeWalt. I may have access to a really good sander/vacuum system if I can get my neighbour distracted long enough to make off with it.

I have some experience with epoxy but not in this setting. I'll definitely work on learning more.

The original colour was actually slightly darker than baby blue above the waterline. You can see it a little in the picture of my hand near the scratch, upper right. Great thing about photoshop is I can play with colours and see what might look good.

Thank you both again.
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNS View Post
    I'll check around for places that can do galvanizing. I'm in a small town so probably will involve a little driving.

Thank you both again.
    -John
    Ask around the local steel fab shops. Here in the UK galvanising companies do a collection and drop off service. Ask if any of the fabricators have access to a similar service. You will need to have any old paint shot blast off, galvo cannot handle painted steel.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Galvanizing provides great protection. If you find the price for blasting and galvanizing too high, you can sand, wire wheel, prime fair and paint with proper steel coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Ask around the local steel fab shops. Here in the UK galvanising companies do a collection and drop off service. Ask if any of the fabricators have access to a similar service. You will need to have any old paint shot blast off, galvo cannot handle painted steel.
    Excellent. I do know someone that can do the shot blasting. Most of the fabricating locally is small scale stuff but I can ask around if they use a galvanizing service and if so which one.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Galvanizing provides great protection. If you find the price for blasting and galvanizing too high, you can sand, wire wheel, prime fair and paint with proper steel coatings.
    As long as the prices I find aren't incredibly stupid I'd rather pay more up front and not pay more over time. Good to have the back up plan though, thank you.