Thread: An artist's statement.

Default An artist's statement.

“These images represent the juxtaposition of the timeless and majestic elegance of nature’s sensory-surpassing miracles with the entangled and growing tensions of our time in culturally reconnecting with the shift away from the human condition of love. In developing my visual perspective, I’ve discerned the fleeting significance from the invariable through emphasizing the growing collective disdain for the socially underdeveloped that has come to define our generation and crystallized over the last decade. Through highlighting this generational discontent in honing its cultural responsibility of deconstructing traditional understanding of social roles against the unrefined purity of the emotionally captivating cycles of nature, my work serves as a middle ground to visually level and gauge the social progress of man by means of extremities occurring in class stratification. In giving careful attention to the mediating filters that propagates socially-constructed irreverence, I aim to address the necessity of breaking down the symbolic paradigms of understanding to revisit the overlooked empathy for humanity and its greater accountability to each other.”
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Default Re: An artist's statement.

Good stuff he's got there. Did he say what it was?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Taking the long way around to not much.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Sooooo....is that statement the "art"?

Compare that gobbledygook with a typical AmishRob artist's statement.
    "That was fun. I enjoyed it."

Why aren't so called "serious" artists honest about theit work?
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

High class (cultured?) word salad.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

To be serious for a moment.. and fair to the artist ... language is a skill. Not always the same skill as painting or other artsy things. And talking about art - beyond the most basic of notions - is difficult. If it is to be managed at all, one must be not only highly self-aware, but remarkably skilled with language. This fellow could be the former, but not the latter. Or he could be neither. Hard to be sure.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    To be fair... language is a skill. Not always the same skill as painting or other artsy things. And talking about art - beyond the most basic of notions - is difficult. If it is to be managed at all, one must be not only highly self-aware, but remarkably skilled with language. This fellow could be the former, but not the latter. Or he could be neither. Hard to be sure.
    Pretty sure it's pretentious and precious verbal vomit.

I have a good friend who is considered one of the world’s few mezzotint masters, and he makes his full time living at it. He gets great pleasure at his openings by listening to viewers assign all kinds of theories and backgrounds to his works. He usually just politely tells them that they are correct if they ask. He does put a lot of research, symbology, meaning, etc. into his work, he just doesn’t broadcast it.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Pretty sure it's pretentious and precious verbal vomit.
    Yes, given the conditions I mentioned. it's quite easy for someone to come across that way. Or... it could be that is all there is. Not a failure to communicate a profound vision and bit of insight. Just a confusing cloud disguising the lack of same...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

All that guff, it was probably describing a blank piece of paper. Concepts, you know.

OP ED sounds like a budding politician, or a lawyer, or both which is worse.

Either that or it's very clever satire.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I could barely SEE the tiny words, much less understand them.

i'm an engineer. that fancy word slop is useless to me.