Thread: An idea for a shop

Default An idea for a shop

Perusing the local real estate listings I came across an old hobby/horse farm. The home had been abandoned for a few years but wasn't all that old looking. There are a couple of small homes, abandoned, on the property. There is a riding arena and a 24 stall horse barn all in one. The entire thing is run down and at the price their asking, there's no way I could ever buy it and fix it up, I simply don't have the time. Or the resources. But it got me thinking. How great would it be to have a riding arena to build a boat in with a number of horse stalls right nearby to set up spaces for storing timber, a machine shop, a welding space, a finishing space, some office/kitchen space, maybe a stall to set up dirty tools like lathes, planer, jointer and drum sander etc. all separated or easily sealed off with some planking or sheet ply? This particular riding arena is about 180x 100 feet so plenty of space to build a boat, leave the lofting floor there to refer to, rent out space to other builders set up other projects, store tractors, garden tools etc. given a little bit of work on the structure. With 60+ acres I could plant Christmas trees (who couldn't use the extra income at that time of year) as well as a maple stand to make syrup. And of course boat wood for some lucky boatbuilder toward the end of this century or early in the next.

Have any of you ever used a horse stable as a shop and how did it work out? I wish this one was a more practical solution to our housing needs because in tip top shape, this property has everything I want except ocean frontage.

Cheers,
    Daniel
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Default Re: An idea for a shop

I think there's been quite a few larger boats built in pole barns with side sheds.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

My wife has had us look at a few small horse properties lately and the boatbuilding prospects presented by some of the barns make me salivate. Of course, she would actually want to keep horses in the barn, I wonder how they would like the noise?

So do you think when I'm making the big bucks I'll get away with owning both a horse farm and a charter fleet of classic woodworm bait as tax losses?
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Lots of good material for shoring boats lying around horse barns. / Jim
    Last edited by chas; 07-17-2019 at 02:41 PM.

I just read where the manure is good for stuffing in the bilge to stop leaks, so Win-Win!

There definitely are a lot of footprint similarities that would be conducive to boat building. How about the hay barn with hay/sail loft and hoist? Keep a horse or two to tow the boats around and work the hoist.

And is there a ramp nearby?

Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

We converted a tobacco barn into our shop. The previous owner used it for horses,if that counts.
    5500 sq.ft. ground floor,smooth concrete floor, 20' ceiling over 3000 sq.ft. ,with 1500sq.ft upstairs office and paint room.
    We had to build a 45x60 addition for the rest of the crap.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    this property has everything I want except ocean frontage.
    Once boats get to a certain size this can become costly. We are looking at about $6k to move our boat, and are at the upper limit for most equipment.

We used are neighbors old dairy barn as a spar shop... nice long run , we also have our lumber stored in some horse stalls at the other neighbors down the road. Honestly I would look at an open sided coverall to build in.

Cheers,
    Mark

Our hosts have a little horse barn converted into a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Once boats get to a certain size this can become costly. We are looking at about $6k to move our boat, and are at the upper limit for most equipment.
    Craigslist ad said "Easy to launch at the ramp..."

Wow, AI advertiser stalking is getting super freaky, just got this thrown at me...
    https://240snugharbourrd.auto.remax.com/index.html

Dunno what the barns are like but the space and location seem darn convenient (From the Severn Trent, you can get out to the lakes, St Lawrence Seaway>>Atlantic, or just use it as your looper home port)

Anyhoooooo, need quite a few more beans in the kitty before I go for a place like that.