X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • minuteman
    • Sep 2014

Re: Peerie Maa, 40 years on.

40 years! Longer than most marriages.

I love boat that look like they are used.

Kenny
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Comment

• Peerie Maa
      Old Grey Inquisitive One
      • Oct 2008

I am starting the less entertaining bit, spreading on two coats of three different coloured gloss. So I'll not bore you all with many pictures until I get to more interesting stuff involving screwdrivers and so on.
      Meanwhile, marking the line between the rubbing strip (white) and the rest of the gunwale (blue), a small thing but mine own.
      DSC03584.jpgDSC03585.jpg

And one last general view with the first undercoat spot painted over all of the blotches of primer.
      DSC03586.jpg
      It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
      The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• lupussonic
        Massive member
        • May 2012

Looking sweet Nick.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
          Old Grey Inquisitive One
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by lupussonic
          Looking sweet Nick.
          Thanks, she is getting there.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
            Old Grey Inquisitive One
            • Oct 2008

Gloss coat finished and all of the bits screwed back on, so the next job it to pull her out of the workshop, put all of the loose bits back and sort the rig.

The name and number boards ready to go back on. I am mot happy with th painted boards, they have been retouched once too often, so i will take them off and sand them right back at my leisure.
            P1060436.jpg

The upper captive pintle. We need one of our scandiwegian friends to give us the correct Old Norse name for it.
            P1060437.jpg

The lower pintle, a nice bronze casting with a SL part number cast in.
            P1060438.jpg

Carved name board and outbord bracket fitted.
            P1060440.jpg

Name and number boards installed forward.
            P1060443.jpg

Comment

• Chippie
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Peerie Maa
              The split in this plank has been opened out to a constant width to take a spline glued in.

The splits I have splined do not suit that method, so I have cleaned the edges of the splits back to clean wood and planed the splines to fit the cracks. As they were narrow the splines bent around the curves in the splits.
              I was misled by "spline" I would have called it "insert".
              I take it that that particular repair is not subject to constant water pressure i.e. below the water line if it is only secured with "Glupe"?

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                Old Grey Inquisitive One
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Chippie
                I was misled by "spline" I would have called it "insert".
                I take it that that particular repair is not subject to constant water pressure i.e. below the water line if it is only secured with "Glupe"?
                The epoxy glue available nowadays is stronger than the wood. Strip planked boats are now built using only glue without any mechanical fastenings.
                It is a bit academic anyway, as most of the splits on Peerie Maa are doubled with plank stuff clenched over the split on the inside of the plank, in the traditional Shetland fashion.

Comment

• Chippie
                  • Jan 2013

Thanks.
                  I appreciate that that adhesives are superior to the older type glues but I rarely used them as I left hands on boat building almost 50 yrs ago. I usually cringe when people mention "Glupe" as they often indicate "or I suspect" that they are using it as a "filler". I soon found that in most of the jobs I tackled Scotch glue accepted French polish whereas they don't.

Having said that I was laying canvas several years back, and I had left my 3ft folding wooden rule open atop of it, unthinkingly I pushed the roll back and it snapped across an area only about 3/4" I used a modern glue and clamped them together.

It's still going strong old glues wouldn't have done that.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                    Old Grey Inquisitive One
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Chippie
                    Thanks.
                    I appreciate that that adhesives are superior to the older type glues but I rarely used them as I left hands on boat building almost 50 yrs ago. I usually cringe when people mention "Glupe" as they often indicate "or I suspect" that they are using it as a "filler". I soon found that in most of the jobs I tackled Scotch glue accepted French polish whereas they don't.

Having said that I was laying canvas several years back, and I had left my 3ft folding wooden rule open atop of it, unthinkingly I pushed the roll back and it snapped across an area only about 3/4" I used a modern glue and clamped them together.

It's still going strong old glues wouldn't have done that.
                    Just so.
                    You might be familiar with resorcinol, marketed as Cascophen. It required fine glue lines and is not gap filling but produces a strong WBP adhesive, I believe that it is the purple coloured glue used in laminating marine grade ply.

The joy of epoxy is that it likes crappy joinery, it is gap filling and too tight a fit or too much clamping pressure will cause glue starved joints. That is why it is popular with less skilled amateurs. It can also create strong fillets in joining ply, so replacing the polyester and GRP tape used on all those Mirror dinghy's.

Comment

• amish rob
                      Emperor For Life
                      • Mar 2010

This reminds me I’m refreshing the duck punt. I’m getting a proper sail this year, I hope.

No, I still haven’t a gun, yet. Too much nonsense with an electric pump. I have to suss out a manual pump of some kind...

Peace,
                      Robert

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                        Old Grey Inquisitive One
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by amish rob
                        This reminds me I’m refreshing the duck punt. I’m getting a proper sail this year, I hope.

No, I still haven’t a gun, yet. Too much nonsense with an electric pump. I have to suss out a manual pump of some kind...

Peace,
                        Robert
                        Should be OK if you can pump up pressure in a reservoir.
                        The force pump

Physics Assignment Help Online

in Application of atmospheric and liquid pressure /
                        The force pump
                        For raising water to a height of more than 10 m, the force pump is used (Fig. 11.3). It consists of a pump with a solid plunger and foot valve B, connected by a pipe to a chamber C through a valve A.

The upstroke (Fig. 11.3 (a))

On the upstroke valve A closes and the atmospheric pressure pushes water up into the pump through valve B. The downstroke (Fig. 11.3 (b))
                        On the down stroke, valve B closes and water is forced into the chamber C through valve A by the pressure due ‘to the mechanical force exerted on the plunger. The exit pipe P projects into the chamber C so that some air becomes trapped at the top of the chamber. This is compressed and acts as a cushion, thus preventing a sudden jolt to the pump when the water column in P falls slightly and sharply closes valve A at the beginning of the upstroke. C also helps to expel water on the upstroke.

The maximum height to which water may be raised by this means depends on: (a) The force which is exerted on the plunger during the down stroke.
                        (b) The ability of the pump and its working parts to withstand the pressure of the long column of water in the exit pipe P.

Comment

• amish rob
                          Emperor For Life
                          • Mar 2010

It must needs be much more simple than that. And cheap. I do need a new sail, and don’t really want a flogged to death one, so I actually have to spend money.

Which angers me no end.

One reason the punt will be green this time. And, I mean GREEN! Yikes. Still. $9 is $9...

Peace,
                          Polyurethane Porch And Floor, If You Wondered

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                            Old Grey Inquisitive One
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by amish rob
                            I do need a new sail, and don’t really want a flogged to death one, so I actually have to spend money.

Which angers me no end.

One reason the punt will be green this time. And, I mean GREEN! Yikes. Still. $9 is $9...

Peace,
                            Polyurethane Porch And Floor, If You Wondered
                            If you have the time and a robust sewing machine, an end of roll of sail cloth is the cheapest way I know to get a new sail.

Comment

• amish rob
                              Emperor For Life
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Peerie Maa
                              If you have the time and a robust sewing machine, an end of roll of sail cloth is the cheapest way I know to get a new sail.
                              Yeah. I want a good sail, for once.

Peace,
                              Robert

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                                Old Grey Inquisitive One
                                • Oct 2008

There are a couple of good books to be borrowed from your library, and Todd Bradshaw has shared a lot of advice on here. It is doable, just takes a bit of time.

But then that is life. Time = money. Money = time. Entirely your decision based on your desires and priorities.

Comment

Working...