Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK - so what do we do? (Political)

Default Re: OK - so what do we do? (Political)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Alabama hasn’t raised it’s gas tax since 1992. This 10 effing cent raise will take them from one of the lowest fuel tax states to the middle of the range for the country. The federal gov’t needs to raise fuel taxes 25 cents so as to continue supporting states like Alabama who can’t pay their way.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/02/10-c...d-to-know.html
    Is that why they are privatizing public roads, or is that because they're a bunch of corrupt jerkoffs?
    Rattling the teacups.

Do you know a college-age person who wants to get involved? Here's a recent email from Swing Left seeking applicants to their College Fellowship Program.

“Young voters are the future of this country” is cliché for good reason. When young people turn out to vote, they change the outcome of elections.

And what’s the best way to get young voters to the polls? Other young people

That’s why we’re expanding the Swing Left College Fellowship program to train even more students on how to win elections. Know someone who wants to be on the frontlines of 2020? Encourage them to apply to the Swing Left College Fellowship by July 26th.

The Swing Left College Fellowship is a 3-month, part-time program that trains students to organize volunteers and lead on their campuses. They’ll receive expert guidance from veteran Swing Left organizers on how they can help beat Trump and the GOP in 2020 and transform our government.

And the opportunities to learn, lead, and make an impact don't end there. After graduating from the program, Fellowship alumni can participate in the Swing Left College Network—a brand new program supporting Swing Left College Teams and other campus groups across the country.

Applicants don’t need prior organizing experience or political science credits to participate. They just need the drive to make positive, lasting change by helping Democrats win the biggest election of our lives.
    Applications can be submitted here: https://swingleft.org/p/college-programs

Deadline for application is July 26, 2019

Pass it on to the young people in your lives

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have here a strong contender for the most fatuous statement in the Bilge yet this year. You really think that if the 'blue team' were in control of the Senate and the presidency, things wouldn't be much different? We'd still have plenty of problems, but we sure wouldn't be putting children in concentration camps. 'They're all alike' is total flaming hogwash, and if you really believe it with our current loathsome festering lump of a president, you're trying to unload that beachfront in Arizona because you sank your life savings into it.
    Theres no incentive to fix anything as long as it's a political tool, the Democrats don t want to fix the border...

It's the main issue for the Democrat candidates..

A phot OP to go down there and say people are drinking out of toilets, it's a concentration camp and trump is killing children.

Yes you are correct if the Democrats were in charge there would be no ICE, borders, holding facilities..

That's how they would....fix it..

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    This past weekend has put me over the top. Between the racist-in-chief . . .
    I suggest we stop discussing it in terms of racism. There are more fundamental things and this is one of them.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    I suggest we stop discussing it in terms of racism. There are more fundamental things and this is one of them.
    Racism is a piece of the puzzle of today's Republicans. Maybe not the most important, but it's a big one IMO.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Racism is a piece of the puzzle of today's Republicans. Maybe not the most important, but it's a big one IMO.
    No doubt, but the question is

OK - so what do we do?
    Racism is a brer rabbit situation, as to these tweets. You're addressing people who deny that they are racists, though they support Trump; and deny that he's a racist.

To address in it terms of a more fundamental strain of bigotry is a rare and priceless opportunity. Is there a shred of doubt that Trump set it up to be about racism?

When Br'er Fox reveals himself, the helpless but cunning Br'er Rabbit pleads, "please, Br'er Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch," prompting Fox to do exactly that. Bre'r Rabbit was located in this brier patch, described as "small yet bright". As rabbits are at home in thickets, the resourceful Br'er Rabbit uses the thorns and briers to escape.

-- wikipedia
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

One very easy thing that helps a little and we can do without getting off our lazy butts, is to sign appropriate petitions. See the Al Franken thread.

A white Romanian-American hears that these tweets are racist in terms of color and thinks, well at least he's not talking about me and my family, we're white. If he hears that they are bigoted in terms of national origin -- northwestern Europe being the purported true homeland -- he knows they're about him and his family.

People are not so concerned about bigotry toward groups they don't belong to, sad but true. So let's tell them, Trump is talking about you. Why let Trump restrict the import of his remarks to disfavored color? You want to win voters, tell them how Trump is S ing on them. It doesn't occur to them automatically. It didn't occur automatically to the drafters of the resolution condemning the tweets. They condemned the racism, as if that were all there was to it.

Today's email from Swing Left:

Trump’s attacks on Rep. Omar last night got me pretty worked up, so I asked our email team if I could send a note directly to you all.

Here’s the thing: Trump’s tweets and rants at rallies are not off-the-cuff remarks. They’re cold and calculated moves. He’s using racism as a re-election strategy.

I’m not telling you something new here. We all know this. But, we can’t just be outraged by what he’s saying. We need to use it as motivation to dig a bit deeper and do even more to defeat him—-and we need to start today.

When future generations look back at this moment, we need the story line to say that Trump’s racist campaign backfired. Instead of shoring up his base, it motivated volunteers and activists to do more than they ever had. And as a result, not only did Trump lose the White House, but Republicans lost the Senate and state houses across the country.

So my ask to you is simple: figure out something you can do to beat Trump. Write a letter to an unregistered voter. Recruit your friends to join an organization like Swing Left. Donate $10. Do it today, and keep doing everything you can, straight through to November 2020.

If you’re looking for ideas, check out our Action Finder, which makes it dead simple to get started working on 2020 now. Every suggestion it makes (races to donate to, actions to take) is a way you can help unseat Trump and his Republican allies.

These next 16 months are going to say a lot about our country. I’m convinced that we can (and must) use it as a watershed moment to reject the gross racist campaigning of politicians like Trump. It is our duty to stand with black and brown communities most impacted by his campaign, and make real, lasting change in our government.

But, it won’t be easy. We’re all going to need to do it together.

So find what you can do, today.

Looking forward to everything we’re about to do,

Matt Ewing
    Managing Director, Swing Left
    Looking for something you can do? Start here: https://swingleft.org/take-action

Intentional, yes. The remarks weren't "off the cuff" and ad libbed; Trump read them straight off the teleprompter.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    as you said, TLT, life is complex. I think you will find that two of the issues you address were actually created by the GOP. The republicans never allowed a vote on a bipartisan bill to reform immigration and then demanded Obama do something, so he did with a executive order and they went ballistic with cries of it being illegal to do so.

As for the ACA, It was altered from it's original plan to bring more GOP aboard, They all voted against it anyway. They had the votes to do a complete single payer system, but didn't because they wanted it to be bipartisan. They should have never trusted the GOP
    One can always find excuses for doing nothing. Saying the devil was not cooperative seems to be a poor excuse.

From the mid 80's - when a federal courts declared the practice unconstitutional, until the mid teens - when the supreme court responded in the same fashion, HUD practiced discrimination in lending. Any Democratic president could have corrected the issue with an instruction ot HUD to change their practice. There were some Democratic presidents in that time period. Try to blame the Republicans for the inaction of the Democratic presidents on that issue.

But as many have said before: all that it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. And the Democrats have done so. But they might not be good men.
    Life is complex.