Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitar lessons

Default Re: Guitar lessons

I think that I need to maybe do an updated version of the video above to help me see the progress.

One thing I see that has helped and I need to get back to it, is playing along with the song. You can download Audacity for this. You can loop sections and or slow it down. I don't do the slow down part but I would loop a section just slightly before and after what I wanted to work on and just keep practicing that section over and over. That made a difference.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

A Snark is a great Tuner. Buy some spare 2032 batteries.

Get a a good capo too. This allows you to play with others but finger different chords so that you’re not doing the exact same thing as everyone else. (If they’re playing in D, you can capo up 2 and finger it in C.)

Don’t fuss too much. Learn the basics and then play with gusto, having fun. And have a couple of funny songs on hand. Most people play too much weepy stuff.

I have been advised to learn a new or difficult up tempo passage by slow, precise practice. Learning to play it precisely at a slow tempo allows you to work up the tempo with precision, in incremental steps. Trying to learn a hard, up tempo passage often makes precise placement difficult and results in just learning to play your mistakes fast. I wish I had one of those looping apps, Chad! That sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    A Snark is a great Tuner. Buy some spare 2032 batteries.

Get a a good capo too. This allows you to play with others but finger different chords so that you’re not doing the exact same thing as everyone else. (If they’re playing in D, you can capo up 2 and finger it in C.)

Don’t fuss too much. Learn the basics and then play with gusto, having fun. And have a couple of funny songs on hand. Most people play too much weepy stuff.
    Thanks, I ordered a Snark ST-2. Cheap, and good reviews. I've got my sweeties capo that was in the case, though it's very old, and might go gunnysack at any time. Good enough for now. She also had a strap, a few picks, and what looks like a winder (for changing strings a bit more swiftly?). I added a slide and a set of 13-56 bronze strings when I was thinking I might start with open-tuning slide stuff. I also just ordered a wad of asst. picks, and a guitar stand. I'd like the instrument to be handy, so I can grab it and either just noodle, or seriously practice, when inspired. I know myself well enough to know that putting it back in the case and putting it away in the other room is not a great idea.

If you have a spot on a wall, String Swing guitar hangars work nicely to keep you guitar handy, yet safe from small hands or, in our case, a modestly insane kitty cat. Watch your house humidity. It is generally recommended to keep acoustic guitars at the 40 to 50 % humidity level. We have a small music room where we house my darling’s piano and my guitars, along with a humidifier that seems to regulate the room around 45%. Winter can get a bit difficult on guitars and pianos.
    Last edited by garland reese; 07-18-2019 at 05:48 PM.

I replaced my ancient elastic capo a while back with one of these spring-loaded lever ones and it has worked very well. Mine says "KYSER" on the side of it.

capo.jpg

Too good not to share on a guitar thread.
    Thanks, Fred....

Quote Originally Posted by garland reese View Post
    If you have a spot on a wall, String Swing guitar hangars work nicely to keep you guitar handy, yet safe from small hands or, in our case, a modestly insane kitty cat. Watch your house humidity. It is generally recommended to keep acoustic guitars at the 40 to 50 % humidity level. We have a small music room where we house my darling’s piano and my guitars, along with a humidifier that seems to regulate the room around 45%. Winter can get a bit difficult on guitars and pianos.
    Hercules guitar hangers are brilliant.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Our office/spare bedroom also serves as my "music" room. Guitar Center sells a few different styles of hangers for your guitar. It works great for storing them up out of the way from the dogs, cats, and grandkids and they are right there super handy.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Off-the...MaAqtgEALw_wcB

Audacity is a free download. Give it a try.

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Appreciate the hints about guitar storage. I got a small, folding stand because I want to go mobile at times. Play at friends houses, jam sessions, capfires at various locales, etc.

I was dithering about a new capo... but seeing how easy the new ones are compared to the old elastic beast... I went ahead.

Fingers are still tender from y'day's practicing. I'll go light today, methinks, then heavier again tomorrow. Busy day today, anyway, so that works.

Here's a question -- practicing. What's your practice regimen? Normally. When working up a new song. When preparing for a gig. Etc.

If anyone's curious about what that Epiphone sounds like - here's a guy selling one, and playing it a bit --

Yes, the Hercules hangers and other products are excellent. Be extremely careful about buying guitar hangers and stands and avoid bargain brands. You would think they would test this stuff, but the foam padding on some of the cheap Chinese hangers and stands will actually react with the finish on the guitar's neck and soften it - making for an expensive repair. Stick with the proven brands.

I also have one of those milti-axe stands for gigging that is built like a short electric guitar case. It folds down small and flat for transport and is surprisingly stable in use. A pretty clever gizmo.

basses 002 copy.jpg

EEEEEK!!! It's making lines on my fingers. No one TOLD me there'd be LINES!!!!

Man this little Snark electronic tuner works well for just a few dollars. My sweetie has a heck of an ear. I tuned up using it, then carried it in to her office. She checked it and said she couldn't improve it. So we took it over to the piano, and tested against that. No differences.
    Last edited by David G; 07-20-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Just wait till they get so sore you cant touch the strings, then the calluses come and you are good to go.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

When I saw Jimmy 'Duck' Holmes at the festival on his farm last month, at the beginning of his set, he went on a rant against electronic tuners. According to him, any guitar player should be able to tune their guitar without one. It did look like he was about the only guitar player there not using one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    When I saw Jimmy 'Duck' Holmes at the festival on his farm last month, at the beginning of his set, he went on a rant against electronic tuners. According to him, any guitar player should be able to tune their guitar without one. It did look like he was about the only guitar player there not using one though.
    That was my sweetie's reaction as well. But then she has perfect pitch. I'm discovering, using the tuner, that my ear is pretty decent as well. I'm just following instructions from my new gittar teacher, but maybe I'll eventually be able to leave it behind.

I know that lots of people tune by ear, It is a learned thing. But when you play with those that use the tuner they wont always like you. Also find some body to pick with, playing by yourself will make you get into a habit of this is the way it is is done, even if it is wrong. Also you will learn to watch and listen to others and learn a lot quicker. As an old picker once told me there is not an almost in tune.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Supposedly, it is a mathematical impossibility for a guitar to be perfectly in tune, no matter what method or gizmo is used, and it would sound awful if you could even do it. Thus the reason for compensating bridges on acoustics and individual adjustable saddles on electrics. A good tech will have his own version of what slight variations he wants to make to the saddles and string lengths to make up for different string diameters and arrive at good sound. The guy who set up my electric twelves uses an oscilloscope and then tweaks specific individual strings to arrive at what he calls a "sweetened" tuning. If you just tune everything with a tuner, it often does not sound good, especially the B strings. I'll normally tune the Bs by fretting them on the third fret to make a D and then adjusting that D as needed to fit in properly with some chords. This usually means that the open B strings are just a hair flat on the tuner. The low E pair also get tuned when fretted to the third fret (G) rather than as an open E. It just seems to work better. The tuner will get you in the same ballpark to play in tune with the rest of the band, but getting your guitar in tune with itself may take a bit more adjustment.

Individual bridge saddles scoped and adjusted for sweetened tuning on this particular guitar.

step 028 copy.jpg

Well... luckily, I'm just a simple neophyte - who doesn't have to worry yet about the nuances. All I have to do is learn to make noises that won't spook the horses... or set they coyotes to howling. <G> That little electronic gizmo seems, amazingly, for $10 or so, to do that. It's a Snark ST2, if anyone is curious.

True temperament frets solve those intonation issues, but create others.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Well... luckily, I'm just a simple neophyte - who doesn't have to worry yet about the nuances. All I have to do is learn to make noises that won't spook the horses... or set they coyotes to howling. <G> That little electronic gizmo seems, amazingly, for $10 or so, to do that. It's a Snark ST2, if anyone is curious.
    If you ever find yourself in need there are several apps that perform very well. I use one called GuitarTuna.
    Nosce te ipsum

That pesky b string..

this is interesting.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daw93bRHe4Y

Tuning my Yamaha s80 is such a pain...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    That pesky b string..

this is interesting.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daw93bRHe4Y
    bad link?

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    bad link?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daw93bRHe4Y
    Nosce te ipsum

Even more on guitar tuning. . .

Nosce te ipsum

Inspiration for all of our guitar players. When we play, we learn. My friend Randy and his son:

Jeff C

I use an app called Gstrings for tuning, but I also have a clamp on tuner. I learned a long time ago to tune with a tuning fork but it never stuck. Might try that again one day.

Oh for chords I use and app called Jambox.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Just back from the first lesson. The instructor's final words were something like, well, I do like a challenge <G>

Watch the first few minutes. He walks over ans sits, stage right. The camera closeups his right hand. I'm not a player, but I find it fascinating as he switches from thumb, to pick, to fingertips.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

What joy. Tight band. In the zone. Carlos Santana purely knows his way around the instrument. I'll likely never get to the point where I can do his stuff any kind of justice at all... but wouldn't it be sweet...

This is a delight - regardless of your choice of instrument.

Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

^ Part of a complete and balanced Chewsday.
    Nosce te ipsum