Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678 LastLast

Thread: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

Default Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    As was I - but they were unnecessary in any case.
    Agreed.
    Rattling the teacups.

Default Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    This is really simple READ the summary

To Rob who said he'd posted pictures of his boat.
    My response to him, I didn't see it.
    To bobbys who said that he'd built a boat
    Bobbys, I didn't see it and then, I'm surprised you even built one.

Robert sent pictures bobbys gave excuses for not doing so.

Rob's boat, if I say something negative he'd get pissed. Actually the boat looks nice but, not sure of rigging/sail
    I have no idea what you are going on about.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I have no idea what you are going on about.
    Nothing new about that. You have fantastic insight into the obvious.

Distraction.

Doesn't make donald any less of a schmuck. Concentrate.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i think it's funny that anyone would poo poo any hand made wooden boat in here given the foundation of the forum. that said... in response to it not being "much of a boat", it may not be. but its construction did serve a purpose at a time when i needed it the most. and for that, it'll always be a fine craft for me.
    Did I strike a nerve? Why would I be concerned about your feelings when you show so little regard for those of others?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Mister Rob, you may pardon me for saying so, but I was under the clear impression that Jamie's remarks were directed at bobbys.

Lovely boat.
    The one is a wee sharpie-like sailing skiff/canoe deal I “designed”. The middle boat is a 12’ skin on frame kayak, built to someone’s plan, and the other is the frame I have hanging under my eave. I’d skin and paddle her tomorrow if I could still get in her and roll.

But, I can’t roll, anymore, so no “real” kayaking, and I can’t really paddle all that much, or well, anymore, so I’m learning about the sailboats.

This year I’ve managed to almost finish one long lived project, and build two others.

Peace,
    Robert

Nice to see amish rob's pix. Good looking boats. Many more builds than I, with only Leeward (Chamberlain gunning dory) from scratch. It's plywood, by the way. Maybe if I had gates to close I'd have the servants build me something out of very light cedar all copper riveted and finished the Callahan's varnish.

So sorry.

No gates.

No servants.

But on the topic of racism (and sexism, misogyny, et cetera) I notice that I, with a life spent organizing to end these oppressions, have enough biases within my soul that I've plenty yet to do.

Pity I am not yet as perfect as the many who have not a racist bone in their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The one is a wee sharpie-like sailing skiff/canoe deal I “designed”. The middle boat is a 12’ skin on frame kayak, built to someone’s plan, and the other is the frame I have hanging under my eave. I’d skin and paddle her tomorrow if I could still get in her and roll.

But, I can’t roll, anymore, so no “real” kayaking, and I can’t really paddle all that much, or well, anymore, so I’m learning about the sailboats.

This year I’ve managed to almost finish one long lived project, and build two others.

Peace,
    Robert
    You've almost finished a project?

Way ahead of me!

My current project is to have a yard sale this weekend to try to get some space to actually complete some projects.

Unfortunately, I am being beaten about the head and shoulders with the ugly reality that I'm going to have to get a *&^$#% job.

You know, like a JOB job, and you know what that sort of nonsense does to a person's ability to finish projects.

Maybe I can actually move into this shop before I'm forced to abandon the idea of working there.

A lot of blather, but I would like to say that your boats are lovely, and I hope you can ignore the Morons. They can't actually DO anything anyway, so they try to bring honest folk down to their level.

All the best from Tejas,

John T
    Rattling the teacups.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

#237….
    Wooweee!!

At present theres a big case just decided where a prominent restauranteur and media personality has to pay millions to ex-staff who he underpaid for decades. Bought a big mansion on wage theft. There are whole chains of franchise operations and businesses whose financial survival relies on wage theft. And of course a similar business paying according to the law does not survive against these criminal enterprises.
    Same thinking, cotton wasn't viable with out slaves, sugar too.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-17-2019 at 11:53 PM.

The deplorables in full cry:

"We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

^ That bloated orange POS is going to get someone shot.

rob, cool looking mini boats. question, what kind of time and money did you put into that little sailboat? my boy is about old enough to do one of those projects with me and i really dig that sailboat. i've been wanting to do a strip canoe, but was thinking something with a sail would be more fun for them

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    "Will no-one rid me of this turbulent ..."
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Attachment 41580

Attachment 41581

Attachment 41582

I’m surprised I could, too.

Peace,
    Robert
    My big beef with Rob is that he doesn't live close enough to show me his boats in person...

I have the same problem with Rich Jones--is it too much to ask you guys to move to Northern Michigan to give me a little schooling?

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    My big beef with Rob is that he doesn't live close enough to show me his boats in person...

I have the same problem with Rich Jones--is it too much to ask you guys to move to Northern Michigan to give me a little schooling?

Jeff C

i've got the same beef. but i'm even further away that you. (should that be farther?)

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    And you, I compliment your boat and YOU come back with this! Sorry I did compliment it, then you'd have cause too whine a little more. Talking about thin skim Robert, you're right up there with Trump.
    You are simply too insulting.

You haven’t complimented one thing in any post, but instead insist on lumping me with bobbys, or now Trump, for whatever your reasons are.

Peace,
    Robert
    Last edited by amish rob; 07-18-2019 at 10:24 AM.

You are simply too insulting.

You haven’t complimented one thing in any post, but instead insist on limping me with bobbys, or now Trump, for whatever your reasons are.

Peace,
    Robert

well to be fair, you and trump look like twins.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post

Jeff C
    Ironically, that sail IS in Michigan, I believe... I “designed” it, with help.

There’s a duck punt sitting here would probably love Michigan. It needs a sail, though, as my savage tarp has given up what ghost it actually had.

Peace,
    Robert

rob, cool looking mini boats. question, what kind of time and money did you put into that little sailboat? my boy is about old enough to do one of those projects with me and i really dig that sailboat. i've been wanting to do a strip canoe, but was thinking something with a sail would be more fun for them
    the one kayak is 18’ long, so not too mini.

Funny you should mention that. Youngest Son and I have been suffering through a project making a “Moana boat”, but the back and forth kind, NOT the zig zag kind.
    A proa, in other words...

BUUUT, another forumite and I have been playing around modernizing the lines of a small sailing garvey from ASSC...

The one pic is a sof kayak with ply frames, ala Gentry and Kudzu. Now, building a wee sailing canoe skin on frame with ply frames would be a sweet and fun project to do with a kid. And, I THINK (I know he does) DGentry has a pretty swank sailing canoe.

The answer, though? The sail was, by far, the most expensive part. I often get second hand goods, though.

Peace,
    Robert

the one kayak is 18’ long, so not too mini.

Funny you should mention that. Youngest Son and I have been suffering through a project making a “Moana boat”, but the back and forth kind, NOT the zig zag kind.
    A proa, in other words...

BUUUT, another forumite and I have been playing around modernizing the lines of a small sailing garvey from ASSC...

The one pic is a sof kayak with ply frames, ala Gentry and Kudzu. Now, building a wee sailing canoe skin on frame with ply frames would be a sweet and fun project to do with a kid. And, I THINK (I know he does) DGentry has a pretty swank sailing canoe.

The answer, though? The sail was, by far, the most expensive part. I often get second hand goods, though.

Peace,
    Robert

hahahah, i'm the king of acquiring 2nd hand goods! sometimes i acquire 1st hand goods at 3rd hand rates. a sailing canoe.... i'm interested.... 2 birds and all

hahahah, i'm the king of acquiring 2nd hand goods! sometimes i acquire 1st hand goods at 3rd hand rates. a sailing canoe.... i'm interested.... 2 birds and all
    Oh, I nearly built a chataqua canoe. Built a ply one, instead.

Peace,
    Robert

To pick up the notion from my #233 with more correct punctuation and then to ask for help:

On the topic of racism (and sexism, misogyny, et cetera):

I, with a life spent organizing to end these oppressions, have enough biases within my soul that I've plenty yet to work on.

Pity I am not yet as perfect as the many who have not a racist bone in their bodies.

I do not believe Trump when he claims not a racist bone in his body. Well, no one does because bones are not in themselves racism, but we take the metaphor and recognize that in Trump's case it's an untrue statement. But more people than Trump make this claim. Biden for example. Several on this Forum.

So of some at least middle aged white guy who is into woodenboats and who claims no personal racism I ask, "How did you reach such a wonderfully post-racial state?"

You are correct, Ian. We all have some biases, just that some are more extreme than others. Taken all the way to the end, they become bigotry and racism.

I try my best not to judge, but to answer your question, I work with many people of colour. I myself am only a few percentage points above being one myself. Once you get past the worst if the biases, you find that people are just that.. people.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Then he’d blame the victim.

^ He sure didn't take any responsibility for the bomber he inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    To pick up the notion from my #233 with more correct punctuation and then to ask for help:

On the topic of racism (and sexism, misogyny, et cetera):

I, with a life spent organizing to end these oppressions, have enough biases within my soul that I've plenty yet to work on.

I do not believe Trump when he claims not a racist bone in his body. Well, no one does because bones are not in themselves racism, but we take the metaphor and recognize that in Trump's case it's an untrue statement. But more people than Trump make this claim. Biden for example. Several on this Forum.

So of some at least middle aged white guy who is into woodenboats and who claims no personal racism I ask, "How did you reach such a wonderfully post-racial state?"
    Exactly. We're all flawed. We all have issues to work on. And that doesn't mean we can't improve both the world and ourselves at the same time.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

On August 19, 2015, Scott Leader, 38, and his brother, Steve Leader, 30, attacked a homeless man in Boston who they wrongly believed to be an undocumented immigrant.

“Donald Trump was right,” they told police, after beating the man with a metal pipe and then urinating on him. “All these illegals need to be deported.”
    On October 14, 2016, the FBI arrested three men — Patrick Eugene Stein, Curtis Allen, and Gavin Wright — for plotting a series of bomb attacks against the Somali-American community of Garden City, Kansas. Calling themselves “the Crusaders,” they had planned to launch, on the day after the November 2016 presidential election, what The Guardian said “could have been the deadliest domestic terror attack since the Oklahoma bombing in 1995.”

Two of these three men were open supporters of Trump and were obsessed with anti-Muslim, anti-refugee conspiracy theories. For Stein, according to a profile in New York magazine, Trump was “the Man.” Allen wrote on Facebook: “I personally back Donald Trump.”
    On the evening of January 29, 2017, Alexandre Bissonnette opened fire on worshippers at the Islamic Cultural Center in Quebec City, Canada, killing six of them and wounding 19.

Bisonnette, 27, was obsessed with Trump: He searched for the president on Twitter, Facebook, Google, and YouTube more than 800 times between January 1, 2017, and the day of the shooting. A former university classmate told the Toronto Globe and Mail that he “frequently argued” with Bissonette over the latter’s support for Trump.

In his police interrogation video, Bissonnette can be heard telling officers that he decided to attack the mosque after Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted a message of welcome to refugees in the wake of the U.S. president’s travel ban — which was issued two days before the mosque attack.
    In March 2018, three alleged members of a far-right militia — Michael Hari, Michael McWhorter, and Joe Morris — were charged in connection with the August 5, 2017, bombing of the Dar Al-Farooq Islamic Center in Bloomington, Minnesota. McWhorter is alleged to have told an FBI agent that the attack was an attempt “to scare” Muslims “out of the country.”

Back in 2017, Hari, who owns a security company, submitted a $10 billion proposal to build Trump’s wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. “We would look at the wall as not just a physical barrier to immigration but also as a symbol of the American determination to defend our culture, our language, our heritage, from any outsiders,” Hari said. Sound familiar?
    On August 12, 2017, a car crashed into a crowd of people protesting a neo-Nazi rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer. The alleged driver of the car, James Alex Fields Jr., has been charged with, among other crimes, hit-and-run and first-degree murder.

Fields, according to a former middle school classmate, enjoyed drawing swastikas and talked about “loving Hitler.” The registered Republican, according to a former high school teacher, also adored Trump. In an interview with the Associated Press, the former teacher “said Fields was a big Trump supporter because of what he believed to be Trump’s views on race. Trump’s proposal to build a border wall with Mexico was particularly appealing to Fields.”
    On January 9 and 10, 2018, 19-year-old Brandon Griesemer allegedly made 22 calls to CNN. In four of those calls, the part-time grocery clerk from Novi, Michigan, threatened to kill employees at the network’s Atlanta headquarters, according to a federal affidavit.

“Fake news. I’m coming to gun you all down,” he told a CNN operator. Again, sound familiar? Trump has spent his entire presidency slamming CNN as “fake news,” singling out the network for criticism and abuse. According to the Washington Post, a high school classmate of Griesemer described him as a Trump supporter who “came in after the election and was very happy.” The classmate, reported the Post, “compared Griesemer’s reaction to that of a fan whose team had won a big game.”
    On the afternoon of February 14, 2018, 19-year-old gunman Nikolas Cruz shot and killed 17 students and staff members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

According to an investigation by CNN, Cruz was part of a private Instagram group in which he “repeatedly espoused racist, homophobic and anti-Semitic views” and “bragged about writing a letter to President Donald Trump — and receiving a response.”

Cruz also posted a photo of himself on Instagram wearing one of Trump’s signature red “Make America Great Again” hats, with an American flag-patterned bandana covering the bottom half of his face. Former classmates have confirmed that he also wore the red Trump hat to school.
    DFT has the blood of American and Canadian citzens on his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Exactly. We're all flawed. We all have issues to work on. And that doesn't mean we can't improve both the world and ourselves at the same time.
    I say it all the time, but becoming better does NOT imply there is a problem, flaw, or damage to begin with, necessarily.

Everything can be improved.

I tell people to worry about being better versions of themselves, by which I mean a version of themselves living more closely to their own ideals.

The real You is the You you are when no one is looking.

Peace,
    Robert

I say it all the time, but becoming better does NOT imply there is a problem, flaw, or damage to begin with, necessarily.

Peace,
    Robert
    One of the leadership strategies I picked up somewhere along the way was to get the whole crew to 80% and then raise the bar a little bit.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

If you go to the bible, there is the notion of "original sin". As stated above, we are all flawed in some way. It is what makes us human, unfortunately. It comes with the territory of being able to reason. It also gives us something to strive towards.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I tell people to worry about being better versions of themselves, by which I mean a version of themselves living more closely to their own ideals.

The real You is the You you are when no one is looking.

Peace,
    Robert
    WELL... you don't have to get insulting!!! <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Flawed?

That’s mind control religion.

Mine says we’re all inherently perfect. Mini versions of god, in fact.

God is One. All is One.

Peace,
    One