Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Attachment 41413

Mind, we ain’t changing the world, here...

Peace,
    Robert
    One step at a time....That's all that matters. I couldn't build a boat if my life depended on it Rob, I could buy one, help fix it up and use it. That's enough for me. What you do would be enough for me to say you're more than acceptable to join the WBF family. You've demonstrated you have an interest, some here haven't and I often wonder why they are here unless it's to agitate others especially leading up to another election. I suspect they will fade away after said election too.

Default Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    One step at a time....That's all that matters. I couldn't build a boat if my life depended on it Rob, I could buy one, help fix it up and use it. That's enough for me. What you do would be enough for me to say you're more than acceptable to join the WBF family. You've demonstrated you have an interest, some here haven't and I often wonder why they are here unless it's to agitate others especially leading up to another election. I suspect they will fade away after said election too.

why do you insist on conflating boat ownership and politics?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    guys, the pile on of alan is unbecoming

seriously just because heís unwilling to elaborately criticize a politician is not a just reason for accusing him of being racist
    You'd have to define the difference between being an 'enabler' of a racist, and being a racist, oneself.

Sure, it may be wrong to spit out accusations of racism in a casual manner.... which is why I won't do it. But that doesn't mean that I can't form an opinion of the character of a person who is an enabler... and I DO.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    It is a boat forum.
    If you don't want the politics, avoid the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I disagree. How do you think the world gets changed?
    Itís like NY subway light bulbs. It has a left handed thread, so itís REALLY hard to change.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Itís like NY subway light bulbs. It has a left handed thread, so itís REALLY hard to change.
    Happily, I'm left handed.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    From today's Washington Post:

21st century Republicans are both morally and ethically bankrupt. They are divided between those who enthusiastically applaud Trump's racism and those who, as Ms. Phillips points out, servilely enable it by declining to oppose it. We see plenty of the second kind here in the WBF Bilge. The 21st century GOP is a sick man.
    We also might note that we see a few of the first kind here as well.

As to a point made in the WaPo article, if Republican members of the House and Senate feel there is no incentive to speak out as they'd lose their jobs, I have a simple solution that won't put their jobs in peril, and as added bonus it might give them "a shot" at regaining their dignity, and remember I said; "might" give them a shot.

So what if these giants of courage in the GOP stepped forward, called out the racists tweets for what they are, and then joined with their Democratic colleagues in calling for impeachment hearings, and note that it is hearings I am advocating, not a call for absolute impeachment.

The facts laid out to the American public will likely have an effect and at the very least get the misdeeds out in the open and into recorded history.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Maybe it's because it's a b oat forum Alan. Did you think that might be the reason? Does it make sense? I've sailed with a lot of people here, all happen to be boaters. We don't argue, we talk about boats 90% of the time. Oh wait, we do argue over construction and materials used but, that is a side bar. We may argue about the booze too, I like beer and maybe in the evening, rum. We argue a lot about our choices in Scottish Whiskey too. Very important!

Maybe it's because it's a b oat forum Alan. Did you think that might be the reason? Does it make sense? I've sailed with a lot of people here, all happen to be boaters. We don't argue, we talk about boats 90% of the time. Oh wait, we do argue over construction and materials used but, that is a side bar. We may argue about the booze too, I like beer and maybe in the evening, rum. We argue a lot about our choices in Scottish Whiskey too. Very important!

right, "real boat owners" are only the ones that share your politics. if the politics are different, then you're a "fake boat owner". i'm not saying you can't talk politics on a boat forum, i'm saying it's ridiculous to say "real boat owners" are this way or that way in regards to anything. "boat owners" are people. people can be anything they want. seems to reason then that you will have "real boat owners" that aren't like you. and ya know what? that's OK! i think if we required every boat owner to think like you, there'd be a sheet load of boats hitting craigslist. i'd probably just burn mine

No, share boats and a love of boats Alan, you seem to conveniently ignore that fact whi=ch suggests that YOU have no interest in boats. Leads to an obvious question, why are you even here except for the reasons I've posted.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    I don't know what cancel culture means. I asked what kind of boat you have. Two years ago I recalled you saying that you don't have a wooden boat.

My impression is that you don't care about much at all, and are here for yucks regarding people who do care.
    I thought that was Bluey?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I thought that was Bluey?
    What's in a name?

Quote Originally Posted by joe (socal) View Post
    lock her up!

No, share boats and a love of boats Alan, you seem to conveniently ignore that fact whi=ch suggests that YOU have no interest in boats. Leads to an obvious question, why are you even here except for the reasons I've posted.

hahaha... yeah, all i've done is grow up on the river and build a boat in my garage. no interest in boats though. you know, b/c SV says so and he's always right.

and obviously sv, i come here b/c your buffoonery is TOP NOTCH! i mean, just READ your last few posts. you can't get that kind of lunacy just any ole place.

Personally I don't have an issue with Alan, I don't agree with his politics but he's posted some pretty nice things as a basic human being, as has Gang - I don't agree with them on political issues and I will go toe to toe in debates. But thats about it
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

All talk and no proof! Wheeee! And you wonder why so many on the WBF have put you on ignore. There are those who have photographic proof of my boats Alan. That's a fact!

All talk and no proof! Wheeee! And you wonder why so many on the WBF have put you on ignore. There are those who have photographic proof of my boats Alan. That's a fact!

my profile pic is my boat man.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Personally I don't have an issue with Alan, I don't agree with his politics but he's posted some pretty nice things as a basic human being, as has Gang - I don't agree with them on political issues and I will go toe to toe in debates. But thats about it

thanks joe. yeah, i doubt we'd ever agree on the political stuff. doesn't mean i wouldn't buy you a beer though.

I looked at your profile, found nothing about boats, just previous posts. Nothing else. AND I MEAN NOTHING. Have a good day, I don't have many people on ignore, this will be a highlight of my day. Thanks!

Is that what it is. At the low resolution I thought that it was a medieval helmet.

hahah, for some reason it shows up sideways. the original pic is normal. here's some from when it was brand new

Your neighbor has a nice boat!

When estimating the worth of a person I use 'what you walk past you accept' as a decider.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I agree, I would happily have a beer and one of his mushroom Swiss cheese burgers with him, leave the politics in the car.

Great photo!

I took the liberty of airbrushing out the other boat, house, and cell phone tower, to give it a more Wyeth haunting feel:

The other boat is me and Youngest Son in the Duck punt. And, itís not a river, itís a lake.

As to the tower, why pretend a-holes donít want to live in the middle of nowhere? But not.

Peace,
    Robert

Sorry!
    No need! Not at all bothered, provided you put me back in. We were playing, and Iím not kidding, ďload of dead ducksĒ. I had to row him to market before he spoiled.

Hahahaha.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal)
    I don't agree with his politics but he's posted some pretty nice things as a basic human being.... I don't agree with them on political issues and I will go toe to toe in debates. But thats about it
    There are a couple of Trumpkins in my family. I do not discuss politics with them despite their constant efforts to draw me into a political debate.

We cannot choose our family. But we sure as heck can choose our friends. I am with skuthorp: "When estimating the worth of a person I use 'what you walk past you accept' as a decider. Neither Donald Trump nor anyone who behaved like him would be welcome in my home.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-15-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    "No matter which faction of the party with which you identify, whether left, center left, centrist, blind partisan, social justice warrior, Dem leaning Indie, or Never-Trumper, job one is defeating these Republicans badly enough that they will BACK THE F OFF.

If that doesn't happen, there will be no climate change fix, no inequality fix, no better health care, jobs, .... no future. It is vital to stop them now and do it decisively." -- sonofswen

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    I agree, I would happily have a beer and one of his mushroom Swiss cheese burgers with him, leave the politics in the car.
    We don't have to agree with a person's politics to enjoy them as a person. I have a number of friends & family I enjoy spending time with who are like that. Luckily... it hasn't gotten to that point here in the U.S. yet. But, be warned. It could. I'd even say it's approaching. It's happened elsewhere. Being a 'Good German' in order to avoid conflict never helped anything.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Alan, you keep whining that I don't believe the policies you hold and I hold you against them. You're right policies are determined by actual facts, no some mythical bS Which ends up being just that. If you supported your positions with facts, I would take them seriously but, as is, I can't. If you support these policies with facts, I may even change my mind. Your leader can't open his mouth without lying and you turn those lies into facts. Doesn't work that way.

Democrats lie too, no question but, not as often as Republicans appear to. It's pretty obvious when they do. Do I agree with All of their policies, NO, I don't but, taking everything into consideration and giving everything equal weight, I believe the Dems more than I believe the Republicans

I used to be a Republican 40 yrs actually. An Eisenhower Republican not the fake Republican in office now. I switched parties because initially, I could no longer defend them; what they are doing globally, the environment and pretty much every policy they try to drum into the public.

So, you are way off track. If you're a Republican. old school, be one put your money where your mouth is. If you support Trump fine, just back his policies up instead of brushing them under the carpet.

If you can't support them except through snark, accusing others as being the problem, well I NEVER would have a reason to change my mind about anything from the right. In fact, leaning further left is more likely.

I listen to blowhard Trump this morning Lie, after lie, racist comments etc. Can't stand him or his policies.

Nice boat, Alan!

Ralphie

I told my dr. to bet on Trump winning. i saw him riding racism and bigotry into the White House.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

right on script fellas. great job!
    So Alan, if someone says to you ďgo back to the country you came fromĒ what do you do? How about if they say it to your son? How about if a politician says it? Like maybe the POTUS? You managed to get some attention on this thread so enjoy that attention and bring it to the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    So Alan, if someone says to you “go back to the country you came from” what do you do? How about if they say it to your son? How about if a politician says it? Like maybe the POTUS? You managed to get some attention on this thread so enjoy that attention and bring it to the topic.
    I went to school with Jimmy, he was Australian Chinese. The first of his family arrived in Australia in 1856, did well enough on the gold, started a tent restaurant and a laundry, brought his wife out had several kids. His grandson fought at Galippoli and the Western Front. Their South Melbourne cafe fed hundreds of people during the depression free. I can remember Jimmy being told to 'go back where you come from' by ignorant, bigoted b'stds during his teens.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.149bbb46157a

By George T. Conway III
    July 15 at 7:15 PM
    George T. Conway III is a lawyer in New York.

To this day, I can remember almost the precise spot where it happened: a supermarket parking lot in eastern Massachusetts. It was the mid-1970s; I was not yet a teenager, or barely one. I don’t remember exactly what precipitated the woman’s ire. But I will never forget what she said to my mother, who had come to this country from the Philippines decades before. In these words or something close, the woman said, “Go back to your country.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...swomen/594019/

Trump Tells America What Kind of Nationalist He Is
    In a series of tweets attacking four Democratic congresswomen, the president reiterated his belief that only white people can truly be American.
    3:23 PM ET

Adam Serwer
    Staff writer at The Atlantic

When President Donald Trump declared himself a “nationalist,” he was telling the truth, but he was inadequately specific.

On Sunday morning, the president told four members of Congress to “go back” to the countries “from which they came.” The remark, a racist taunt with a historic pedigree, inspired a flurry of fact-checking from mainstream journalists who were quick to note that Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, and Ilhan Omar are American citizens, and that only Omar was born abroad, in Somalia. It was a rather remarkable exercise in missing the point.

When Trump told these women to “go back,” he was not making a factual claim about where they were born. He was stating his ideological belief that American citizenship is fundamentally racial, that only white people can truly be citizens, and that people of color, immigrants in particular, are only conditionally American. This is a cornerstone of white nationalism, and one of the president’s few closely held ideological beliefs. It is a moral conviction, not a statement of fact. If these women could all trace their family line back to 1776, it would not make them more American than Trump, a descendant of German immigrants whose ancestors arrived relatively recently, because he is white and they are not