Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

Default Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

The last line in this opinion piece, I think, says it best.

It’s hard to attribute President Trump’s racist tweets over the weekend to some deep strategy to improve his re-election prospects, but let’s face it: It’s working exactly as he intended.

As Charlie Sykes has noted, trom birtherism to Mexican rapists to mistreating migrants at the border to the “fine people” in Charlottesville, it’s worked for him.

That’s why Trump allies expect this ugliness to get worse as the presidential campaign heats up, not better.

In this case, Trump is exploiting recent divisions with the Democratic party, mainly between Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the four progressive House Democratic women who refer to themselves as “the Squad.”

Trump has seen the polling that the most visible one of these liberal Democrats — Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) — is becoming the face for the party with a crucial group of swing voters. And he’s baiting Democrats into rallying around her and her allies.

Trump knows exactly how Democrats will react: with justified outrage. But it also helps him tie all Democrats — especially those running for president — to the most liberal side of their party. At the same time it also allows him to speak to his racist base in a way no president has dared to do in modern times.

Meanwhile, the news media plays a familiar game of refusing to call out Trump’s racismand instead relying on “critics” of the president. The effect is to not frame Trump’s racist rhetoric as wrong; it’s simply portrayed as more partisanship.

Of course, none of this works if Republicans had joined Democrats in denouncing Trump’s racist rant. Their complete silence proves that Trump is in total control of the Republican party. There was no dissent at all — even for language that would have been considered unacceptable and even un-American just a few years ago.

As we look at the campaign ahead, it’s obvious that Trump no longer needs to rely on dog whistles. He can use a bullhorn.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

A certain Austrian house painter?

Thumbs down Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

Not me.
    I still don't.
    Not if they expect to win.
    Last edited by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All; 07-15-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Default Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

An assumption that spoke volumes. And today... he doubles down --

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/14/u...sultPosition=1

When it comes to race, Mr. Trump plays with fire like no other president in a century. While others who occupied the White House at times skirted close to or even over the line, finding ways to appeal to the resentments of white Americans with subtle and not-so-subtle appeals, none of them in modern times fanned the flames as overtly, relentlessly and even eagerly as Mr. Trump.

His attack on the Democratic congresswomen came on the same day his administration was threatening mass roundups of immigrants living in the country illegally. And it came just days after he hosted some of the most incendiary right-wing voices on the internet at the White House and vowed to find another way to count citizens separately from noncitizens despite a Supreme Court ruling that blocked him from adding a question to the once-a-decade census.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

pfffffffffft

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    pfffffffffft
    You've long identified yourself and your values here, no need to keep reinforcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?
    david g?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    You've long identified yourself and your values here, no need to keep reinforcing it.

yeah, my values are racism...

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

From today's Washington Post:

By Amber Phillips

By now, it’s not a surprise that congressional Republicans are largely silent as President Trump attacks four American congresswomen in language that, outside the GOP, has been widely condemned as racist.

They’ve learned over the years that they have nothing to gain by speaking out against Trump, and plenty to lose — like their jobs.

Let’s go back to one of the first high-profile times that Trump used, in Republicans’ own words, racist language. Trump was the Republican nominee for president and was accusing a judge overseeing a lawsuit about Trump University of being biased because of the judge’s Hispanic heritage. At the time, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) called it “the textbook definition of a racist comment."

What happened to Ryan? Trump won the election, Republicans embraced him, and Ryan retired after two years rather than keep trying to play nice with Trump.

The next time Trump used language about race that shocked the nation was a year later, during deadly protests led by white supremacists in Charlottesville. A neo-Nazi supporter was recently convicted of murder for ramming a car into a group of peaceful protesters. Yet at the time of the attack, Trump said, “I think there is blame on both sides.”

Ryan said language like that was wrong but maintained he wasn’t going to do anything about it.

Former senator Bob Corker of Tennessee tried to. Once on a shortlist for a Trump Cabinet post, Corker decided to use his leverage as a known Trump ally to say this: “The president has not yet been able to demonstrate the stability nor some of the competence that he needs to demonstrate in order to be successful."

Corker saw his popularity in Tennessee plummet. He is now retired.

Fast-forward to the 2018 midterm elections. It’s primary season, and some of the House’s most conservative Republicans are in danger of not even winning their primaries. Why? In the case of Rep. Martha Roby of Alabama, voters there remembered how she said she wouldn’t vote for Trump because of the way he bragged about sexually assaulting women in an “Access Hollywood” tape released in the final weeks of the presidential campaign.

Rep. Martha Roby

@RepMarthaRoby
    Donald Trump's behavior makes him unacceptable as a candidate for president, and I won't vote for him.

She eventually won her primary. But another outspoken Republican critic of Trump wasn’t so lucky. Trump tweeted the day of South Carolina’s primary for Republican voters to knock out sitting congressman Mark Sanford. And they did.

“We’re playing with real fire in a reason-based republic,” Sanford told me shortly after losing his primary.

Mia Love, the lone black Republican in the House, lost her reelection in Utah in November after she criticized Trump for calling Haiti, where her family is from, one of several “a$$hole countries.”

“Mia Love gave me no love, and she lost,” Trump said.

Seeing a theme here? Republicans who have spoken out forcefully and memorably about Trump are no longer Republican officeholders. It is overly simplistic to say these Republicans retired because of their battles with Trump — though in Ryan’s case, a new book suggests that might be true. But all of them saw the writing on the wall: I can either speak out about Trump, or keep my job. In this Republican Party, you can’t do both.

One Republican member of Congress is kind of testing that theory. On Sunday, Rep. Chip Roy of Texas became the lone Republican lawmaker to condemn Trump’s remarks, tweeting that Trump "was wrong to say any American citizen, whether in Congress or not, has any ‘home’ besides the U.S.” Though in that same tweet he made sure to qualify how supportive he is of Trump’s immigration policies.

Self-preservation is the default mode of any politician. Most of the congressional survivors of Trump’s takeover of the Republican Party went into that mode when Trump attacked a federal judge, and again when he didn’t forcefully stand up for peaceful people protesting white supremacy. So when Trump attacks Democratic lawmakers, who are regular boogeymen on Fox News anyway, there’s no political incentive for Republicans to say anything about it.

That’s the way Trump has engineered the Republican Party, to be able to get away with whatever he wants to say. And it’s working.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.de55c4288b38
    21st century Republicans are both morally and ethically bankrupt. They are divided between those who enthusiastically applaud Trump's racism and those who, as Ms. Phillips points out, servilely enable it by declining to oppose it. We see plenty of the second kind here in the WBF Bilge. The 21st century GOP is a sick man.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-15-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    "No matter which faction of the party with which you identify, whether left, center left, centrist, blind partisan, social justice warrior, Dem leaning Indie, or Never-Trumper, job one is defeating these Republicans badly enough that they will BACK THE F OFF.

If that doesn't happen, there will be no climate change fix, no inequality fix, no better health care, jobs, .... no future. It is vital to stop them now and do it decisively." -- sonofswen

Lee Atwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    david g?
    Indeed, I did.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Ronald Reagan.

Carl Rove.

more.

Who ever thought most Americans were clueless..

yeah, my values are racism...

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT
    No, you value being a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    No, you value being a troll.

i just like to sport the hair

Is AlanMc thirteen years-old? Asking for a friend.
    "No matter which faction of the party with which you identify, whether left, center left, centrist, blind partisan, social justice warrior, Dem leaning Indie, or Never-Trumper, job one is defeating these Republicans badly enough that they will BACK THE F OFF.

If that doesn't happen, there will be no climate change fix, no inequality fix, no better health care, jobs, .... no future. It is vital to stop them now and do it decisively." -- sonofswen

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    No... he's something else.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    No... chronologically speaking... I believe he's an adult.

But he's made my ignore list because - despite the opportunities afforded by his years on earth - he is committed to ignorance, and has failed to learn much about rhetorical skills, critical thinking, or anything beyond the most simplistic and slanted version of how the world works. He's willing to avoid the hard work of thinking for himself... and, instead, just swallow the kookaid and regurgitate it. Sad. Bigly sad.
    Last edited by David G; 07-15-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

yeah, my values are racism . . . PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT
    I'm going to take this seriously. I assume you're referencing Mr. Trump's latest outburst that has been generating so much fuss, and which was factually wrong about three of the four women he mentioned.

Several possibilities come to mind:
    1. You agree with him, and approve of what he said.
    2. You don't think it was worthy of condemnation, not that bad.
    3. You think it was really bad, but you support him anyway despite his faults, and resent people saying you share in those faults.
    4. Other. Feel free to explain.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 07-15-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I'm going to take this seriously. I assume you're referencing Mr. Trump's latest outburst that has been generating so much fuss, and which was factually wrong about three of the four women he mentioned.

Several possibilities come to mind:
    1. You agree with him, and approve of what he said.
    2. You don't think it was worthy of condemnation, not that bad.
    3. You think it was really bad, but you support him anyway despite his faults, and resent people saying you share in those faults.
    4. Other. Feel free to explain.

i don't really have a strong opinion on it. i got the gist of what he was saying, though he continually words things like he wants to get the most outrage possible for whatever reason. the gist was "the countries your family came from suck, that's why they left and came here". it could be "racist" i suppose. but it seemed like more US nationalism to me. 'merica.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Hey, it's the 2 year anniversary of you finding the Bilge and not looking back. Did you ever get a wooden boat?

i do have a wooden boat you silly goose.

Newt Gingrich
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

"I don't really have a strong opinion on it" sounds a whole lot like option #2.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

not really, since i don't think it "deserves condemnation". it really didn't deserve any lip service good or bad.

What is it?

a boat made of wood? i don't get it.

not really, since i don't think it "deserves condemnation". it really didn't deserve any lip service good or bad.
    Perhaps you can clarify how indifference isn't #2.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Perhaps you can clarify how indifference isn't #2.

indifference doesn't include "deserving condemnation". i don't think it warrants rebuking. especially at the rate it's getting. it warrants ignoring at best.

It is a simple question. What is your wooden boat?

a candlefish. but you don't really care. you're just making a lame attempt at cancel culture.

I don't know what cancel culture means. I asked what kind of boat you have. Two years ago I recalled you saying that you don't have a wooden boat.

My impression is that you don't care about much at all, and are here for yucks regarding people who do care.

you recall incorrectly. i built my boat several years ago.

i don't really have a strong opinion on it. i got the gist of what he was saying, though he continually words things like he wants to get the most outrage possible for whatever reason. the gist was "the countries your family came from suck, that's why they left and came here". it could be "racist" i suppose. but it seemed like more US nationalism to me. 'merica.
    It definitely is racist, it is exactly what the racist bigots in England say to any one who does not turn bright red when they sun bathe.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

indifference doesn't include "deserving condemnation". i don't think it warrants rebuking. especially at the rate it's getting. it warrants ignoring at best.
    If ignoring it would encourage language like this to stop flowing from the POTUS' mouth or thumbs, presumably the Republican caucus' stalwart actions would have worked by now. The dog whistles aren't dog whistles anymore; the "throwaway" comments about black "SOBs" taking a knee aren't throwaways or "gaffes" now, they're tropes, intended and repeated in a sequence of tweets. It's not really sustainable anymore to pretend that this isn't racism, which leaves us with Keith's options. If one's "indifferent" about racist comments, that's #2.

pfffffffffft
    Don't much care whether or not you have a wood boat, but if you're OK with what Trump said, you are OK with racism. And just being a liar (3 out of 4 were born in the US).

Generally, people who are OK with others being racist are racist themselves.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Your quoted “gist” is a misinterpretation. He said “progressive Democratic Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe....” then follows with three more references about the countries they came from. Ilhan Omar escaped Somalia when she was six and the rest were born in the US. He was talking about the Congresswomen, not their families. If you want to be a really good troll you should do a better job avoiding specifics and stick with peanut gallery comments.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Your quoted “gist” is a misinterpretation. He said “progressive Democratic Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe....” then follows with three more references about the countries they came from. Ilhan Omar escaped Somalia when she was six and the rest were born in the US. He was talking about the Congresswomen, not their families. If you want to be a really good troll you should do a better job avoiding specifics and stick with peanut gallery comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Don't much care whether or not you have a wood boat, but if you're OK with what Trump said, you are OK with racism. And just being a liar (3 out of 4 were born in the US).

Generally, people who are OK with others being racist are racist themselves.
    right on script fellas. great job!