Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

The last line in this opinion piece, I think, says it best.

It’s hard to attribute President Trump’s racist tweets over the weekend to some deep strategy to improve his re-election prospects, but let’s face it: It’s working exactly as he intended.

As Charlie Sykes has noted, trom birtherism to Mexican rapists to mistreating migrants at the border to the “fine people” in Charlottesville, it’s worked for him.

That’s why Trump allies expect this ugliness to get worse as the presidential campaign heats up, not better.

In this case, Trump is exploiting recent divisions with the Democratic party, mainly between Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the four progressive House Democratic women who refer to themselves as “the Squad.”

Trump has seen the polling that the most visible one of these liberal Democrats — Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) — is becoming the face for the party with a crucial group of swing voters. And he’s baiting Democrats into rallying around her and her allies.

Trump knows exactly how Democrats will react: with justified outrage. But it also helps him tie all Democrats — especially those running for president — to the most liberal side of their party. At the same time it also allows him to speak to his racist base in a way no president has dared to do in modern times.

Meanwhile, the news media plays a familiar game of refusing to call out Trump’s racismand instead relying on “critics” of the president. The effect is to not frame Trump’s racist rhetoric as wrong; it’s simply portrayed as more partisanship.

Of course, none of this works if Republicans had joined Democrats in denouncing Trump’s racist rant. Their complete silence proves that Trump is in total control of the Republican party. There was no dissent at all — even for language that would have been considered unacceptable and even un-American just a few years ago.

As we look at the campaign ahead, it’s obvious that Trump no longer needs to rely on dog whistles. He can use a bullhorn.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

A certain Austrian house painter?

Thumbs down Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

Not me.
    I still don't.
    Not if they expect to win.
    Last edited by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All; 07-15-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Default Re: Who ever thought that racism would be a Presidential campaign strategy?

An assumption that spoke volumes. And today... he doubles down --

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/14/u...sultPosition=1

When it comes to race, Mr. Trump plays with fire like no other president in a century. While others who occupied the White House at times skirted close to or even over the line, finding ways to appeal to the resentments of white Americans with subtle and not-so-subtle appeals, none of them in modern times fanned the flames as overtly, relentlessly and even eagerly as Mr. Trump.

His attack on the Democratic congresswomen came on the same day his administration was threatening mass roundups of immigrants living in the country illegally. And it came just days after he hosted some of the most incendiary right-wing voices on the internet at the White House and vowed to find another way to count citizens separately from noncitizens despite a Supreme Court ruling that blocked him from adding a question to the once-a-decade census.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

pfffffffffft

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    pfffffffffft
    You've long identified yourself and your values here, no need to keep reinforcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    You've long identified yourself and your values here, no need to keep reinforcing it.

yeah, my values are racism...

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

No, you value being a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    No, you value being a troll.

i just like to sport the hair

yeah, my values are racism . . . PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT
    I'm going to take this seriously. I assume you're referencing Mr. Trump's latest outburst that has been generating so much fuss, and which was factually wrong about three of the four women he mentioned.

Several possibilities come to mind:
    1. You agree with him, and approve of what he said.
    2. You don't think it was worthy of condemnation, not that bad.
    3. You think it was really bad, but you support him anyway despite his faults, and resent people saying you share in those faults.
    4. Other. Feel free to explain.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 07-15-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I'm going to take this seriously. I assume you're referencing Mr. Trump's latest outburst that has been generating so much fuss, and which was factually wrong about three of the four women he mentioned.

Several possibilities come to mind:
    1. You agree with him, and approve of what he said.
    2. You don't think it was worthy of condemnation, not that bad.
    3. You think it was really bad, but you support him anyway despite his faults, and resent people saying you share in those faults.
    4. Other. Feel free to explain.

i don't really have a strong opinion on it. i got the gist of what he was saying, though he continually words things like he wants to get the most outrage possible for whatever reason. the gist was "the countries your family came from suck, that's why they left and came here". it could be "racist" i suppose. but it seemed like more US nationalism to me. 'merica.

i don't really have a strong opinion on it. i got the gist of what he was saying, though he continually words things like he wants to get the most outrage possible for whatever reason. the gist was "the countries your family came from suck, that's why they left and came here". it could be "racist" i suppose. but it seemed like more US nationalism to me. 'merica.
    It definitely is racist, it is exactly what the racist bigots in England say to any one who does not turn bright red when they sun bathe.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Your quoted “gist” is a misinterpretation. He said “progressive Democratic Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe....” then follows with three more references about the countries they came from. Ilhan Omar escaped Somalia when she was six and the rest were born in the US. He was talking about the Congresswomen, not their families. If you want to be a really good troll you should do a better job avoiding specifics and stick with peanut gallery comments.

Your quoted “gist” is a misinterpretation. He said “progressive Democratic Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe....” then follows with three more references about the countries they came from. Ilhan Omar escaped Somalia when she was six and the rest were born in the US. He was talking about the Congresswomen, not their families. If you want to be a really good troll you should do a better job avoiding specifics and stick with peanut gallery comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Don't much care whether or not you have a wood boat, but if you're OK with what Trump said, you are OK with racism. And just being a liar (3 out of 4 were born in the US).

Generally, people who are OK with others being racist are racist themselves.
    right on script fellas. great job!

There you go, a proper peanut gallery comment avoiding any content required to address the topic.

So Alan, if someone says to you “go back to the country you came from” what do you do? How about if they say it to your son? How about if a politician says it? Like maybe the POTUS? You managed to get some attention on this thread so enjoy that attention and bring it to the topic.

So Alan, if someone says to you “go back to the country you came from” what do you do? How about if they say it to your son? How about if a politician says it? Like maybe the POTUS? You managed to get some attention on this thread so enjoy that attention and bring it to the topic.
    I went to school with Jimmy, he was Australian Chinese. The first of his family arrived in Australia in 1856, did well enough on the gold, started a tent restaurant and a laundry, brought his wife out had several kids. His grandson fought at Galippoli and the Western Front. Their South Melbourne cafe fed hundreds of people during the depression free. I can remember Jimmy being told to 'go back where you come from' by ignorant, bigoted b'stds during his teens.

i dunno. first they'd have to tell me what country i was specifically from history wise. i've never really bothered to look it up, but i think there's german and scottish/irish in there. i would bet there's some native american there somewhere too. then we'd have to work out whether i was going back to the highest percentage country, or i could choose which one i wanted, or maybe i would have to spend an appropriate percentage of time in each one according to my lineage percentages. sounds like it could be kind of fun since those countries don't suck. but i think i'd rather stay here.

trump and his comments on the other hand. who knows what he's trying to say. i think you have to fill in the gaps a lot when he talks or it doesn't make any sense. so first i have to make an assumption that the president isn't making racists comments on his twitter feed. hey, maybe that's a bad assumption but it's the only one that makes sense to me. so if he's not trying to be blatantly racist, what's he really trying to say? i assume he's being blatantly 'MERICA F'CK YEA. which means, "hey you came here b/c it's better than where you came from (fill in that he is generally saying you family and not that you weren't born here)".

i don't rate these instances high up my GAS indicator.

lots of assumptions. but hey, i'm an optimist

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc
    trump and his comments on the other hand. who knows what he's trying to say.
    Seriously dude?
    "No matter which faction of the party with which you identify, whether left, center left, centrist, blind partisan, social justice warrior, Dem leaning Indie, or Never-Trumper, job one is defeating these Republicans badly enough that they will BACK THE F OFF.

If that doesn't happen, there will be no climate change fix, no inequality fix, no better health care, jobs, .... no future. It is vital to stop them now and do it decisively." -- sonofswen

so first i have to make an assumption that the president isn't making racists comments on his twitter feed.
    Riiiiiight... because even though it's been walking like a duck, swimming like a duck, and quacking like a duck for years now, it's just not reasonable to assume it's a bird, let alone waterfowl of some kind.

maybe that's a bad assumption but it's the only one that makes sense to me.
    Given that you're intelligent enough to use a computer and post things on the internets, I have trouble believing your sense-maker is that poorly calibrated. I think you know it's a bad assumption and you don't believe it for a moment.

What are you doing about it?

I dunno. First they'd have to tell me what country I was specifically from history-wise. I've never really bothered to look it up, but i think there's german and scottish/irish in there. I would bet there's some native american there somewhere too. then we'd have to work out whether I was going back to the highest percentage country, or I could choose which one i wanted, or maybe I would have to spend an appropriate percentage of time in each one according to my lineage percentages. sounds like it could be kind of fun since those countries don't suck. But I think i'd rather stay here.

Trump and his comments on the other hand. who knows what he's trying to say. I think you have to fill in the gaps a lot when he talks or it doesn't make any sense. So first I have to make an assumption that the president isn't making racist comments on his twitter feed. Hey, maybe that's a bad assumption but it's the only one that makes sense to me. So if he's not trying to be blatantly racist, what's he really trying to say? I assume he's being blatantly 'MERICA F'CK YEA. which means, "Hey you came here b/c it's better than where you came from (fill in that he is generally saying your family and not that you weren't born here)".
    . . .
    Lots of assumptions. but hey, i'm an optimist
    In this case, I'm sure you've got it wrong. This last series of tweets has made something very clear. A great deal of what Mr. Trump does makes perfect logical sense if you identify it as white nationalism. He didn't invent it; it's been a fairly common idea over the past couple of centuries; this is the White Man's' Country, everybody else doesn’t really belong, and is only here on sufferance. My ancestors came from various parts of the British Isles and Germany, but none of the folks who think this way would dream of telling me to ‘go back where I came from’. You either. Trump didn't tell Nancy Pelosi that she should go back to Italy, or Chuck Schumer that he should go back to Germany.

This idea has taken a lot of different forms over the last 150 years, but it's always the same thing - WE (the northern European white Christian folks) belong here, THEY don't. It's sometimes been mainly cultural-religious (those damned Irish Papists, the beer-swilling German Catholics), sometimes based on skin color/ethnicity (the Chinese Exclusion Acts, the Asiatic Exclusion Zone) sometimes a combination (those dreadful Italians, the eastern European Jews, and the Johnson-Reed Immigration Act of 1924), but it's always a variation on the same thing. We're now having a revival of it, likely due to the latest wave of immigration by folks who don't look a lot like me. The irony, of course, is that Ms. Ocasio-Cortez was born in New York City, and grew up in more or less the same area as Trump, if not nearly so high on the proverbial hog).

Many of Mr Trump’s positions are driven by his narcissism, whatever will get him support or admiration in the moment, but as far as I can tell, his white nationalism is deep-rooted and completely sincere. I expect some of it is driven by his pathological fear of contamination - he washes his hands obsessively, hates to shake hands, and only drinks through a straw. (reference) White nationalism forms a large part of his appeal, in fact, and has been a consistent theme through his campaigning and presidency.

The fact that you consistently deny the obvious and refuse to recognize Mr Trump's white nationalism is - well - interesting. I'm beginning to think you might approve of it - or Mr. Trump could pee on your head and you'd claim it was raining.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 07-16-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

i dunno. first they'd have to tell me what country i was specifically from history wise.
    As if. Like it's OK if he's telling Bolivian-Americans to go back to their country, but not Uruguayan-Americans. What a twittle of a remark.

Ah, what the hell, you're not an American anyway, what can one expect? Perhaps you should be made to assimilate. We seem to have imported a lot of people from places whose values are simply antithetical to ours.

We aren't self-confident enough to make them assimilate so they never feel fully American.

Or maybe the problem is deeper than that. Maybe we're importing people from places whose values are simply in antithetical to ours.

-- Tucker Carlson
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...braces-hateful
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Cortez's family is from PR, which is not "another country" last time I checked.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Cortez's family is from PR, which is not "another country" last time I checked.
    An important detail is that Trump made no reference to families, just the women and the countries they come from. There’s no need to attribute meaning when Trump made other references to congresswomen and “their” countries as opposed to “our” country.

guys, the pile on of alan is unbecoming

seriously just because he’s unwilling to elaborately criticize a politician is not a just reason for accusing him of being racist
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

seriously just because he’s unwilling to elaborately criticize a politician is not a just reason for accusing him of being racist
    I’m not calling him a racist. He’s a troll.

There is a FB meme about that.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

You'd have to define the difference between being an 'enabler' of a racist, and being a racist, oneself.

Sure, it may be wrong to spit out accusations of racism in a casual manner.... which is why I won't do it. But that doesn't mean that I can't form an opinion of the character of a person who is an enabler... and I DO.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Not everyone is racist but, Trump's disciples usually are!

pfffffffffft
    Don't much care whether or not you have a wood boat, but if you're OK with what Trump said, you are OK with racism. And just being a liar (3 out of 4 were born in the US).

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

Not necessarily. They can simply be trolls having fun talking about all manner of hot button topics to get people riled up. Racism, politics, whatever. The topic is a vehicle for abuse of some degree, self or inflicted. They aren’t right in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Hey, it's the 2 year anniversary of you finding the Bilge and not looking back. Did you ever get a wooden boat?

i do have a wooden boat you silly goose.

What is it?

a boat made of wood? i don't get it.

It is a simple question. What is your wooden boat?

a candlefish. but you don't really care. you're just making a lame attempt at cancel culture.

I don't know what cancel culture means. I asked what kind of boat you have. Two years ago I recalled you saying that you don't have a wooden boat.

My impression is that you don't care about much at all, and are here for yucks regarding people who do care.

you recall incorrectly. i built my boat several years ago.