Thread: Tablesawing food fight on Facebook! Wooden Boat Forum

Default Tablesawing food fight on Facebook! Wooden Boat Forum

See Wade Smith's page, July 13.

Default Re: Tablesawing food fight on Facebook! Wooden Boat Forum

Missed that one, The posts about the wooden mast with the woodpecker holes were jawdropping. That mast was so full of holes it looked like it had been shot up by an A10. Epoxy will fix it was the consensus.... I often despair at the level of idiocy on that page. Still i suppose it is a reflection of society!
    Last edited by keith66; 07-14-2019 at 09:58 AM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I banned myself from that nonsense

I don't do facebook. Is the WBF page pretty crazy?

I always learned that woodpeckers will only go after wood with insects in it - that they don't just make holes for the heck of it. I guess the epoxy will kill the insects, eh?

Not sure I understand why there is one since we have the real forum.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Ben Sebens, a member here, started the Wooden Boat Facebook page. No affilation with WoodenBoat. It's fun to look at. Lots of great boats and interesting stuff. Of course, there are some people who know nothing of which they speak.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Facebook is still a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I don't do facebook. Is the WBF page pretty crazy?

I always learned that woodpeckers will only go after wood with insects in it - that they don't just make holes for the heck of it. I guess the epoxy will kill the insects, eh?

Not sure I understand why there is one since we have the real forum.
    why then does this dumbass woodpecker continue to go after my metal gutter down spout

nothing like being woken by that machine guy fire at daybreak
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Sometimes woodpeckers just want to make a lot of noise. That mast must have had a nice resonance to it.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    why then does this dumbass woodpecker continue to go after my metal gutter down spout

Hey! Hey! Heyeheyheyhey! I’m ready to make babies, Ladies!

Hey! Hey! Hey!

Really. Some drum to attract mates and look to the loudest drum. It most likely allows them to demonstrate their pecking prowess.
    See? Imagine if we had to smash our heads into trees instead of owning corvettes and stock portfolios?

Peace,
    Flicker

ETA You ever read Benrd Heinrich? He’s written a few cool bird books, including a great one about ravens.

I feel your pain. There is an exception to woodpeckers only banging when looking for food: looking for a mate. Yeah - don't go there Paul...

ETA: I see Rob beat me to it.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/why-do-woodpeckers-like-to-hammer-on-houses-and-what-can-i-do-about-it/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Ben Sebens, a member here, started the Wooden Boat Facebook page. No affilation with WoodenBoat. It's fun to look at. Lots of great boats and interesting stuff. Of course, there are some people who know nothing of which they speak.
    Actually... Ben is our public face, but not the founder. The page was started by a certain WBF UPS driver... who appointed me as an admin. -- then promptly wandered off. I've recruited some other moderators who all help out. A beautiful photographer from Cape Cod that some of you know. A friend and long-time small-boat maven from Scotland some of you may have heard of. A couple of others. But - while we all contribute content here and there - Ben looks far better in a bikini than any of us older folk. He also tends to be more patient with newbies. Less irascible, for sure. And he's full of great ideas, and great energy. That's why HE has sort of become the public face of the group. It happened organically, and seems to work well.

Couldn't see the FB post in question - as I'm not friends with the fellow. I offered just now, as I'm always curious about tablesaw topics... and might even have an opinion or two.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Actually... Ben is our public face, but not the founder. The page was started by a certain WBF UPS driver... who appointed me as an admin. -- then promptly wandered off. I've recruited some other moderators who all help out. A beautiful photographer from Cape Cod that some of you know. A friend and long-time small-boat maven from Scotland some of you may have heard of. A couple of others. But - while we all contribute content here and there - Ben looks far better in a bikini than any of us older folk. He also tends to be more patient with newbies. Less irascible, for sure. And he's full of great ideas, and great energy. That's why HE has sort of become the public face of the group. It happened organically, and seems to work well.

Couldn't see the FB post in question - as I'm not friends with the fellow. I offered just now, as I'm always curious about tablesaw topics... and might even have an opinion or two.
    I can't believe it. You? Have an opinion? That's almost as silly as saying I have em!

UPDATE -- I now have access and still am not seeing the controversial post. Was it the one about cutting rebates on the table saw?

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    UPDATE -- I now have access and still am not seeing the controversial post. Was it the one about cutting rebates on the table saw?
    It was about women and woodworking. It seems to have been removed, perhaps by the member who shared it in the first place. No loss. (To be clear, there was nothing wrong with the post, but the comments were getting a bit fraught).

[QUOTE=Paul Pless;5936371]why then does this dumbass woodpecker continue to go after my metal gutter down spout

nothing like being woken by that machine guy fire at daybreak[/QUOTE

That woodpecker is a Flicker. That is a mating call. I was once given a small cement mixer by a guy who got tired of the bird beating his brains out against it at daylight.
    If you don't know where you're going, you might not end up there.-Yogi Berra

[QUOTE=Ron Carter;5936645]

nothing like being woken by that machine guy fire at daybreak[/QUOTE

That woodpecker is a Flicker. That is a mating call. I was once given a small cement mixer by a guy who got tired of the bird beating his brains out against it at daylight.
    One of them would drum on the chimney cap at our house. Joked to the kids that Santa was trapped.