Thread: Mystery fishing boat

Default Mystery fishing boat

Hello everyone, Ive always loved this weird fishing boat thats falling apart on the hard on cape cod. It almost looks like a combination of a trawler and a lobster boat but smaller. Its about 30' and I think the name is written in greek, although this looks nothing like a Mediterranean boats that Ive seen. I am thinking of a build in the future and something like this is on my consideration list. Any one have any idea what to call this? Or what do you see is identical alternatives? Just brainstorming for now.

Screenshot (1).jpggreek fishing boat.jpg

Default Re: Mystery fishing boat

A smaller trawler I want to call a smack, but that might just be UK east coast usage.

Edit: I am unsure if Ag. Nikolaos represents the name or the home port https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agios_Nikolaos,_Crete or it was named after the port or something else.
    Last edited by Plyboy; 07-17-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Kinda looks to me like someone dropped a tug or herring buy-boat superstructure on a lobsterboat hull, but that's just me. A spectacularly out-of-proportion mash-up, in my opinion, which is worth the paper that this comment is written upon...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I was going to say tugboat superstructure as well. A different looking boat anyway. Not ugly to my eye but as Michael said above, seems a mash up of different boats.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

.... what Michael said....

........ I'd be curious to see what her undersides and transom look like. Her forward sections look to have some elements of an old (40's - 50's) Maine lobster boat.

Thanks for the insight everyone. She is strange in her proportions isnt she? Next time im on cape ill take some measurements and detailed pictures. Id be interested in getting the lines off of her. I can see that the cabin layout is more like a tug than anything else but the bow is almost like an old lobster boat maybe.

What about plans or designs like this? Modifying for superstructure isnt so hard but Id be interested in finding somethings with similar hull lines that would be an ideal substitute. Unfortunately woodenboat doesnt seem to have any small tugboat plans which is what I would also consider. Other than those silly mini tugs with the outboards

Quote Originally Posted by jackmcauliffe View Post
    Thanks for the insight everyone. She is strange in her proportions isnt she? Next time im on cape ill take some measurements and detailed pictures. Id be interested in getting the lines off of her. I can see that the cabin layout is more like a tug than anything else but the bow is almost like an old lobster boat maybe.

What about plans or designs like this? Modifying for superstructure isnt so hard but Id be interested in finding somethings with similar hull lines that would be an ideal substitute. Unfortunately woodenboat doesnt seem to have any small tugboat plans which is what I would also consider. Other than those silly mini tugs with the outboards
    The issue with tugboats is that there is just enough hull to support the weight of the engine. An efficient tugboat design is crap as anything else. You are better off looking for a counter sterned troller.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Superstructure not unlike the buy boats of the Chesapeake. Here Winnie Estelle has better proportions.

Steve Martinsen

Maybe the forward part was originally a double-ended Gloucester, MA-style Mackerel seining boat. Then someone spliced onto it a transom sterned after-section to better accommodate an engine.

As for the pilot house and trunk, probably from something else, as said, given the disproportions.

mackerel.seine.boat.jpg

lanes.cove.seine.boat.jpg