Thread: Switching from 6 to 12 volts

Default Switching from 6 to 12 volts

I have a gray marine Phantom Four 45 (1940 dated). I would like to switch the generator from 6 to 12 volts. Does any one know of a place that would sell the necessary parts for this operation?

I had ordered them from Van Ness Engineering, but it seems to have gone out of business. The last I sopke with Dave Van Ness he told me the package was on its way. That was over a month ago...

I need another source for these parts. Thank you for any help.

Default Re: Switching from 6 to 12 volts

Most automotive generators are output voltage restricted by the regulator. (Voltage output is a direct function of voltage introduced to the field coil windings. I have seen unregulated 6v generators on my work bench make 20 volts, no problem)

I know for certain that a 6 volt generator can operate at 12 volts, by simply adjusting or replacing the regulator. I ran a system that way for several years until I had the field coils and armature rewound. Any good electrical shop will have a contact to rewind armatures and field coils.

(Depending on the load, heat may be an issue and I can't say how long it will run that way, my application was just headlights and taillights which were no problem)

I would assume the amp capacity drops as you raise the voltage, so for lighting, one could switch out the bulbs for modern LED equivalents to unload it.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

David is still in business with VanNess Engineering. I spoke with him just a couple of weeks ago. I know that doesn’t help with the fact that he is notoriously slow.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    David is still in business with VanNess Engineering. I spoke with him just a couple of weeks ago. I know that doesn’t help with the fact that he is notoriously slow.
    Ah! that could be it then. It is true that to get an answer from him takes a while. I got an answer by email today saying I should be getting my package next week. It was suppose to be that way two weeks ago... Patience, patience

That reflects my experience dealing with Dave Van Ness. He's hard to get a hold of, but he has come through on things he committed to. I have received all of the parts I ordered from him though.

He once spent two hours on the phone with me guiding me though diagnosing and adjusting a carburation problem in my boat. And that was on a Saturday morning! And I hadn't even bought anything from him at that point!

I'm interested to hear how the conversion goes for you. I recently started another thread about converting my Chrysler Crown from 6 volts to 12. I'm thinking of doing it this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by guillemot View Post
    That reflects my experience dealing with Dave Van Ness. He's hard to get a hold of, but he has come through on things he committed to. I have received all of the parts I ordered from him though.

He once spent two hours on the phone with me guiding me though diagnosing and adjusting a carburation problem in my boat. And that was on a Saturday morning! And I hadn't even bought anything from him at that point!

I'm interested to hear how the conversion goes for you. I recently started another thread about converting my Chrysler Crown from 6 volts to 12. I'm thinking of doing it this winter.

Thank you for your message. It is reassuring to know that he came through in the end. I know he is a very nice guy. The few times we spoke on the phone, I could sense that he is ready to help,....if you can get a hold of him.... It is just a bit frustrating having to wait and being in the blue.