Thread: Who leaked?

Default Who leaked?

I imagine it's not surprising - the level of in-fighting/back stabbing that we've seen in Washington for years - but to see this happen in the UK seems... foreign. Any thoughts on who leaked the memos? Any chance that Johnson will spontaneously combust - or are you stuck with him? The pathology we're seeing world-wide in our democracies is stunning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48937120

Sir Kim Darroch has resigned as UK ambassador to the US, as a row over leaked emails critical of President Trump's administration escalates.

Theresa May said Sir Kim's departure was "a matter of deep regret" after the ambassador said it was "impossible" for him to continue.

Tory leadership candidate Boris Johnson has faced strong criticism for failing to fully support him.

President Trump said on Monday that the US would not deal with Sir Kim.
    The US president had branded him "a very stupid guy" after confidential emails emerged where the ambassador had called his administration "clumsy and inept".

In a letter to the Foreign Office, Sir Kim said he wanted to end speculation about his position: "The current situation is making it impossible for me to carry out my role as I would like."
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Default Re: Who leaked?

FSB?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Maybe. What is it?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I suspect Boris Johnson, he doesn't like the guy from what I hear. Hunt, MP candidate, said he'd keep the now retired ambassador in his position until his term is up..Fall sometime. Boris hedged but, said he wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Maybe. What is it?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Security_Service
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Side bar: ‘It Could Have Been Any of Us’: Disdain for Trump Runs Among Ambassadors

WASHINGTON — Ask members of the Washington diplomatic corps about the cables that Sir Kim Darroch, the British ambassador who resigned Wednesday, wrote to London describing the dysfunction and chaos of the Trump administration, and their response is uniform: We wrote the same stuff.

“Yes, yes, everyone does,” Gérard Araud, who retired this spring as the French ambassador, said on Wednesday morning of his own missives from Washington. “But fortunately I knew that nothing would remain secret, so I sent them in a most confidential manner.”

So did Mr. Darroch, who alone and with Mr. Araud, tried to navigate the minefield of serving as the chief representative of longtime American allies to a president who does not think much of the value of alliances.

Until Mr. Darroch’s confidential cables appeared in the Daily Mail last weekend, none of the major ambassadors in Washington had been denounced by President Trump as “wacky” and a “very stupid guy’’ — a description that the envoy’s friends are quick to say hardly applies to one of Britain’s most sophisticated diplomats and a former national security adviser.

But as one ambassador, who is still serving and therefore spoke on the condition of anonymity, said on Wednesday, “it could have been any of us.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...zCD?ocid=ientp
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Smells like Putin to me - means, motive and opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Smells like Putin to me - means, motive and opportunity.
    I second the Putin vote.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

I hadn't considered putin; was more suspicious of a rival. I was hoping some of our UK folk might contribute; is the populace really going for BJ? Good Grief! Do they want the $hitshow we're 'enjoying' in the States?

They voted for Brexit, I'd be surprised if they stopped the lunacy at that when they have such a delicious choice before them.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    I suspect Boris Johnson, he doesn't like the guy from what I hear. Hunt, MP candidate, said he'd keep the now retired ambassador in his position until his term is up..Fall sometime. Boris hedged but, said he wouldn't.
    Johnson was foreign secretary up to about a year ago. Some of the cables date from 2019, so he shouldn't have access to them. Also, what would he gain?

I hadn't considered putin; was more suspicious of a rival. I was hoping some of our UK folk might contribute; is the populace really going for BJ? Good Grief! Do they want the $hitshow we're 'enjoying' in the States?
    Sadly, the populace don't get a say in the matter, only Conservative Party members get to vote for the party leader, who automatically becomes PM until the next general election, unless the house carries a vote of no-confidence as soon as he becomes PM.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...son-would-lose
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Govt sources are looking internally, have poured cold water on the idea of some external agency. Still the motive for leaking is obscure. All Ambassadors are expected to send confidential briefings, it is part of their jobs. Cui bono is a real puzzle. Considering the damage done it was a fairly desperate act. The culprit could face criminal proceedings in what with all of the anger aroused is certain to be a career limiting act.
    From the Beeb
    Foreign Office minister Sir Alan Duncan dismissed the idea that the disclosure was part of a conspiracy or "Brexit plan" and called it "a despicable leak," adding that "the first premise is that it is a leak from within".
    A Whitehall source told The Times: "The involvement of hostile state actors has not been ruled out" - but Downing Street said there is no evidence to suggest the involvement of foreign powers.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48921235
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

One theory doing the rounds is that it was an inside job from the FCO. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48921235 . The journalist who broke the story is a long standing Brexit supporter https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...boys-of-brexit . It doesn't take much imagination to see that this was / is a nasty stitch up to screw up Sir Kim's career at it's very end. Usually, such a career would end with a peerage and seat in the House of Lords as a crossbencher. I hope Mrs May disregards this affair and gives Kim Durroch his due.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Sadly, the populace don't get a say in the matter, only Conservative Party members get to vote for the party leader, who automatically becomes PM until the next general election, unless the house carries a vote of no-confidence as soon as he becomes PM.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...son-would-lose
    With the view that Boris threw Sir Kim under the bus he would most certainly loose. If it were down to MP's rather than the Daily Wail readers Hunt would now be a shoe in.
    I understand that Sir Kim Darroch made his decision to resign after watching @BorisJohnson refuse to support him during last night’s Tory leadership debate
    — James Landale (@BBCJLandale) July 10, 2019
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48941001

I am very disappointed that he resigned. I have to think he was ordered to do it. Meanwhile, Trump insults everyone with impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I am very disappointed that he resigned. I have to think he was ordered to do it. Meanwhile, Trump insults everyone with impunity.
    Nope, everyone byr Boris had closed ranks behind him.

Is it correct that the Brexit referendum was passed based on a pack of lies fostered by nationalist pro-leavers, torys and boris johnson and that they admitted to those lies after the vote?

Hhhmmmmm, a brit ambassadorship may be in yer future.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

At least he'd earn it, Trump picks his on how much money they've donated to him. Thats's often a requirement for a position in the Trump Admin. Experience? Not necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    One theory doing the rounds is that it was an inside job from the FCO.
    What does FCO stand for?
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    What does FCO stand for?
    British Foreign Office. (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    British Foreign Office. (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)
    Thanks for that.

Seems unlikely they, the Office, would leak. If they feel the need to disparage Trump as a policy -- unlikely -- they wouldn't do it covertly. If it was just some guy who, Trump got under his skin -- entirely plausible, that's what Trump does -- then it wasn't the Office that did it.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Is it correct that the Brexit referendum was passed based on a pack of lies fostered by nationalist pro-leavers, torys and boris johnson and that they admitted to those lies after the vote?
    "Admitted to" might be a bit strong for some of them, their tendency is to hunker down and keep digging, but they were lies none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Thanks for that.

Seems unlikely they, the Office, would leak. If they feel the need to disparage Trump as a policy -- unlikely -- they wouldn't do it covertly. If it was just some guy who, Trump got under his skin -- entirely plausible, that's what Trump does -- then it wasn't the Office that did it.
    No, the comment was not that it was official FCO policy, but that some civil servant who works in the FCO acted on their own initiative to leak.

From the ''Update me'' thread
    Stolen from a letter to the Independent..

There is still no plan, still no way to turn an emotional appeal of independence and self-government into a practical reality. Saying there is no plan is too kind. The entire concept is flawed: independence? Brexit will lead to more dependence. Self-government? There is nothing to govern that cannot already be governed today - and currently they can't do it properly. However, it isn’t a plan for Brexit that we are missing, we’re missing a reason for Brexit.

kind of related

https://qz.com/1555392/us-ambassador...d-under-trump/

Trump has appointed the highest percentage of inexperienced ambassadors since FDR
    By Justin RohrlichFebruary 21, 2019

“In short, it appears that campaign contributions may be generating an increasingly deleterious effect on the quality of U.S. diplomatic representation overseas,” writes Ryan Scoville, a law professor at Marquette University who conducted the study.

Scoville spent four years prying loose State Department records under the Freedom of Information Act, revealing the qualifications and political contributions of more than 1,900 ambassadorial nominees going back to the Reagan administration. During Trump’s first two years as president, 42% of his picks have been political appointees with no diplomatic experience, the highest figure of amateur US diplomats serving since Roosevelt’s tenure (46%) and a significant rise from the 30% recorded under Barack Obama.

So, preferment on the basis of cash payments, how very Kingly of donald. Profligate royalty over the centuries have acted similarly, gave out peerages, medals and decorations, trading sinecures, ambassadorships etc. in return for 'donations' to the Royal treasury.
    Of course when all other means had been exhausted a good old fashioned anti Jewish pogrom was the traditional Royal way, confiscating all their possessions and expelling them from the realm.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    So, preferment on the basis of cash payments, how very Kingly of donald. Profligate royalty over the centuries have acted similarly, gave out peerages, medals and decorations, trading sinecures, ambassadorships etc. in return for 'donations' to the Royal treasury.
    Of course when all other means had been exhausted a good old fashioned anti Jewish pogrom was the traditional Royal way, confiscating all their possessions and expelling them from the realm.
    Sheesh, you have a long memory.
    However it is said that the long time between Edward in 1290 and Cromwell in 1656 removed most anti-Semitism from England, whilst it continued to be rife throughout mainland Europe.

The chairman of Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party was last night embroiled in the “Trump files” leak scandal as it emerged that he is in a relationship with the writer whose story brought down Britain’s ambassador to Washington.

Richard Tice, a Brexit Party MEP, is dating Isabel Oakeshott, who last week published leaked diplomatic cables in which Sir Kim Darroch branded Donald Trump “clumsy and inept”, forcing Darroch’s resignation when the president announced he would not work with him.

Security forces said a suspect had been identified...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/trump-leak-scandal-engulfs-brexit-party-2w7dn3hrm

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ntified-report
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Something is rotten in the states of Britain, Australia and the US………..

Makes some of our politicians tolerance of the Saudi's and the Russians explainable, they're jealous.

Security forces said a suspect had been identified...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ntified-report
    Still totally perplexed as to what the insider intended to achieve. It was speculated that it was a rabid leave voter, but I still cannot think how this bit of criminal mischief could achieve anything.