Thread: Screw lube

Default Screw lube

What’s your favorite screw lube? Soap worked great until I found out it promoted rust on the screw. Beeswax is pretty hard and crumbly so it doesn’t stick to the threads well. Grease works great but seems wrong for reasons I can’t put my finger on. Toilet bowl wax works but is pretty messy.

What do ya got?
    Last edited by bluedog225; 07-09-2019 at 10:23 PM.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: Screw lube

I think toilet bowl wax is usually beeswax.

This is NOT that sort of forum...

Oh... for boat building - I use a block of parafin kept in my apron. Or a toilet gasket ring on occasion. You're right... no soap.

I have a can of Butchers Bowling Alley Wax, which is furniture paste wax. A tiny dab on the end of the screw seems to work fine.

i just hawk a loogie on it

Anything at all that won't interfere with whatever finish you intend to apply. If you're screwing down a sub floor you probably don't have to worry about finishes. I once used Crisco on house framing because it was in the cupboard and that's all I had available without driving to a store. I'm not recommending it, but it worked well in lieu of nothing else available.

That same day I was alone and trying to slide a 4X 10 by 16 foot beam into position. I had to slide it over a top plate and over to a couple of posts but I wasn't strong enough. I put Crisco on the top plate and easily slid the beam into position. Later when I stained that beam the Crisco was a problem. I took it off with a solvent, but it still affected the tone of the stain in places.

Thumbs up Re: Screw lube

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i just hawk a loogie on it
    Necessity is the Mother of Invention.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

A can of paste wax may be just what I need. Nice and wide so it won’t tip over and it won’t matter if it melts in the sun. Thanks!

Do NOT use ear wax unless you remove it from your ear first.

$8.00 amazon

Jay Greer, would tell you to melt or soften the beeswax first, then dip the fastener. I've learned a lot from him that seemed to work for me over the years. But if I'm in a hurry I rub a little bw from a block in my pocket onto the threads and soften for a second in my hand. That seems to work. They say beeswax has anti-fungal properties. I don't know but it's a pleasant belief.

I'd be interested in Jake's recommendation as well cause I know what you mean about beeswax. If you're driving a lot of screws or you have a set up in the shop, then having a warm pot makes sense but other times it's not convenient. I usually seem to get by loading the threads then rolling the screw between my fingers or my palms for a few seconds and then letting the heat generated in driving the fastener do the rest. It works better if it's not winter.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

A mixture of 1/3 bees wax, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, and 1/3 turpentine. Heat in a double boiler until the wax melts, stir it up good, and set aside to cool and solidify. I make it by the coffee can full. Great for everything from #4 screws in little projects to 3/8" x10" GRK structural screws used to hold the common rafters down on timber frames. Snap the plastic lid back on the can when you're done. And, it smells great!

That sounds pleasant. A variation of the boat soup theme.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    A can of paste wax may be just what I need. Nice and wide so it won’t tip over and it won’t matter if it melts in the sun. Thanks!
    Again the question of finishing afterward. Many paste waxes contain silicone - which can interfere with stains and topcoats.

Anhydrous lanolin. A little dab'll do yah.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Just get a bigger screw gun.

^^That probably smells good, too if you like lamb.
    Steve Martinsen

Paraffin wax, one candle does lots.

Also works on sole of plane.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Anhydrous lanolin. A little dab'll do yah.
    I keep a small tub of that under the workbench. Another at home. Marvelous stuff. I've not found it in a packaged form that can travel with me in my work apron. And a bit dear for us to use as a screw lube.

What kind of screw? Wood screw or machine screw?

For wood screws, I use beeswax. A fresh cake of beeswax is usually plenty soft and the friction of driving the screw melts the wax, lubricating the driven screw. This also has a tendency to seal the wood fibers from the drilling process.

For machine screws, an anti-sieze lubricating grease - usually one with moly or something similar. Particularly important for stainless-on-stainless to prevent galling of the threads.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

it's lanolin with some smelly "medicine" in it. A fraction of the price of "lano-cote" and is a bit softer.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Toilet bowl wax is NOT beeswax.

The English, who invented what has become the modern toilet, used beeswax to sealthe connection between toilet and pipe. But as the newfangled toilets gained popularity, they outstripped bees' ability to make wax. Modern wax rings are made of vegetable and petroleum waxes, with polyurethane additives.