Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harry Bryan Rambler 23 for sale

Default Re: Harry Bryan Rambler 23 for sale

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Viking funeral would be sad. Donate the hull to a school like the one in Cape Fear? The students there could repower or alter it someway for thier use: http://cfcc.edu/martech/boat-building-school/
    Unfortunately with the changes in the tax laws theres no advantage to donating. Id do better stripping her out and selling off parts.

And think of the YouTube hits Id get!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Unfortunately with the changes in the tax laws there’s no advantage to donating. I’d do better stripping her out and selling off parts.

And think of the YouTube hits I’d get!
    It may not benefit your taxes, but a donation will benefit the Sea Scouts
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I’m thinking the local fire department/marine rescue services might be able to make use of the bare hull. Maybe in a fire fighting training exercise. Might even be some sort of tax break for that donation, I’ll have to check.

any end that results in the destruction of this boat is too pitiful to contemplate
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Nope, no tax advantage at all for any kind of donation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    any end that results in the destruction of this boat is too pitiful to contemplate
    Paul I agree, but it is what it is. Can’t use her here, can’t sell her and something is only worth what someone will pay for it. I’ve advertised it everywhere and placed the boat with a broker, cut the price 50% and not one offer or even a a serious conversation.
    I can use the trailer for the next boat, and the engine should be a lot easier for sell than the entire boat.
    After 5 years of work I’m pretty disgusted by this state of affairs, but I understand the reason now. People buy boats on credit and no bank is going to loan $$ on this boat.
    I can see why so many beautiful wood boats get cut up and disposed of now.

And honestly after all the hard work to create this boat, using the best materials I could obtain, 1000’s of hours of work doing the best job I could possibly manage the idea of just handing it to somebody turns my stomach more than destroying it with my own 2 hands. They wouldn’t appreciate the boat if they weren’t willing to cough up the cost of materials to own her. It’d be better off turned to ash.

I liken it to having a dog get stolen as opposed to dying. With the former you’d always worry about if it was being taken care of, with the latter at least its over.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 08-17-2019 at 06:55 PM.

You've only advertised it for just over a month, right? I just don't think that's very long for a boat to be for sale.

Beautiful boat, btw. Congratulations on an excellent build.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Paul I agree, but it is what it is. Can’t use her here, can’t sell her and something is only worth what someone will pay for it. I’ve advertised it everywhere and placed the boat with a broker, cut the price 50% and not one offer or even a a serious conversation.
    I can use the trailer for the next boat, and the engine should be a lot easier for sell than the entire boat.
    After 5 years of work I’m pretty disgusted by this state of affairs, but I understand the reason now. People buy boats on credit and no bank is going to loan $$ on this boat.
    I can see why so many beautiful wood boats get cut up and disposed of now.

And honestly after all the hard work to create this boat, using the best materials I could obtain, 1000’s of hours of work doing the best job I could possibly manage the idea of just handing it to somebody turns my stomach more than destroying it with my own 2 hands. They wouldn’t appreciate the boat if they weren’t willing to cough up the cost of materials to own her. It’d be better off turned to ash.

I liken it to having a dog get stolen as opposed to dying. With the former you’d always worry about if it was being taken care of, with the latter at least its over.
    You don’t build an object that way to last for a single human lifetime.

Ever.

Peace,
    Robert

Unfortunately with the changes in the tax laws there’s no advantage to donating. I’d do better stripping her out and selling off parts.

And think of the YouTube hits I’d get!
    Strip the boat and then donate the hull? Even if no tax benefit? The boat we bought had been on the market for more than two years (although I watched it the entire time) and the previous owner offered the guy who stored it 25% commission on any sale (in lieu of storage fees) no matter who found a buyer. Perhaps better than burning?

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Strip the boat and then donate the hull? Even if no tax benefit? The boat we bought had been on the market for more than two years (although I watched it the entire time) and the previous owner offered the guy who stored it 25% commission on any sale (in lieu of storage fees) no matter who found a buyer. Perhaps better than burning?
    Not a bad idea. I’d happily offer my friend a commission if he can unload the boat.
    It’s getting a lot of hits with the broker. Every few days somebody is requesting info. The big price drop brought in a lot of new traffic. Maybe its getting close to a number it’ll move at.
    I’ll be less impatient once I get Catnapper in the water. My boat $$ from the convertible sale has grown by 15% in an E*TRADE account so maybe I won’t have to wait for the Rambler to leave before getting another boat.

The Georgetown wooden Boat show is coming up .October 19&20th . For $35 dollars you can show the boat on her trailer ; right on Front Street. You'd get lots of praise for the boat and there might be a buyer there . It's an interesting sight too .

People who coach rowing shells and young sailors need low wake launches .Maybe there's a role for her there ? I believe I can share your feelings . I'll be forced to sell someday and will be lucky to get cost of materials back .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 08-21-2019 at 01:44 PM.

When it rains.....

Got 2 calls today. One from the broker re an interested party asking all the right questions.
    The 2nd from another forum. A knowledgeable wooden boat owner/builder than wants someone he can use now.

Showed the boat twice today. First guy was moderately interested but had to “talk to his wife”
    Second flew in from out of town and spent almost 2 hours here. I’m thinking I may be hearing back from him.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Perkins View Post
    The Georgetown wooden Boat show is coming up .October 19&20th . For $35 dollars you can show the boat on her trailer ; right on Front Street. You'd get lots of praise for the boat and there might be a buyer there . It's an interesting sight too .

People who coach rowing shells and young sailors need low wake launches .Maybe there's a role for her there ? I believe I can share your feelings . I'll be forced to sell someday and will be lucky to get cost of materials back .
    She’d make a real pretty committee boat! Hadn’t thought about the rowing angle, but yes she’d be great for that. At 6 knots she barely makes a ripple.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Good luck!

Thanks. My friend here is adamant that storing the boat at his place is not an imposition, so my sense of desperation has passed. That Stiegercraft up on LI is still for sale, no trailer. I’m going to do some research today and see if she’d fit on my current trailer. If it will, and these buyers don’t act soon I may decide to keep the trailer.
    Good used trailers are hard to find and the one I have is in excellent shape with new brakes.

I posted her on a local FB group and have gotten quite a bit of activity. Thinking there may be more of a market for her here than I realized. I bought some for sale signs and I’m looking at places to possibly park her with good visibility.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 08-26-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Another call on the boat a few minutes ago from someone in upstate NY. I will say I’ve met and talked to some very pleasant, interesting people during this process.

Anybody know if there’s a forum dedicated to electric boats? One of the interested parties mentioned he’d like the boat better if it had electric propulsion.
    Pull the westerbeke, controls, fuel tank, exhaust etc and maybe find a buyer interested in converting it. It’s be a fast way to get into an electric boat.

I’d knock off $3000.

There's an electric boat page on Facebook. I don't know about a regular forum. Consult the Google.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Very interesting idea! With all the interest in electric boats right now I'll bet it would get a lot of attention that way and likely command a higher price as well. You could pull the diesel setup, sell the components and do the conversion yourself then increase the asking price accordingly.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Very interesting idea! With all the interest in electric boats right now I'll bet it would get a lot of attention that way and likely command a higher price as well. You could pull the diesel setup, sell the components and do the conversion yourself then increase the asking price accordingly.
    I’ll meet someone 1/2 way. I’ll pull the diesel and all its associated components. I’m not about to sink the $$ into a conversion on speculation.

So to update the sale. Current price is $19750. Without the trailer $17250. Without engine and components or trailer $14,250.

Anybody know if there’s a forum dedicated to electric boats? One of the interested parties mentioned he’d like the boat better if it had electric propulsion.
    Pull the westerbeke, controls, fuel tank, exhaust etc and maybe find a buyer interested in converting it. It’s be a fast way to get into an electric boat.

I’d knock off $3000.

Ask him to make an offer based on repowering with electric. " If I promise to repower with electric, and sell to you for $Xxxxx, will you give me a deposit today?"

Proposals like that weed out dreamers.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Ask him to make an offer based on repowering with electric. " If I promise to repower with electric, and sell to you for $Xxxxx, will you give me a deposit today?"

Proposals like that weed out dreamers.

Kevin
    That’s a idea I like. And it’d be a NON refundable deposit.

$14k for that boat less the motor and ready for an electric conversion seems like a deal to me. It's pretty much perfect for that setup.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. I actually thought about going with electric propulsion early in the build, but a good deal on a diesel came along.
    The hull is so easily driven at hull speed that an Elco electric drive would give quite a bit of range.
    It would greatly simplify the boat. The current diesel weighs 300#. Add in the exhaust, and fuel tank and you are well over 400#.
    The electric motor @ 100#. 300# is a LOT of batteries to make up the difference. With the fuel tank and diesel removed there is plenty of room as well.

For anybody that might have an interest I spoke to Elco and got this response.

Thanks for contacting us. Your 23' launch would use our EP-12. The price is $7,995, You will need four 12 volt deep cycle 245 amp hour batteries wired in series to get 48 VDC to power the motor. This size, 245 amp hour batteries will give you four hours at a moderate speed between charging. A 48 VDC shore power battery charger is $375.95. Please let me know if you have any questions.I will follow up with a phone call.and look forward to talking to you.

That size AGM battery is about $700 apiece, so $2800 total for batteries, so @ $11,200 for the parts to convert to electric power.

OK y’all, here’s a possibility. There’s a boat on Long Island I’m quite interested in. Doesn’t have a trailer. My current trailer will work. I’ll consider hauling the boat to LI, or anywhere between SC and LI for a confirmed buyer.
    $17,250, no trailer delivered to you. My timeframe is mid September, unless the boat on LI sells to another buyer of course.
    Having the boat delivered from SC to NY would run @ $1000-$1500 if you hired it done.

On the off chance anybody is interested in the boat I went and checked on her yesterday and she came through Dorian fine. Some Spanish moss and pine needles on the mooring cover was about the extent of the “damage”.

Glad to hear it. Any progress with any of the aforementioned interested parties?

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Glad to hear it. Any progress with any of the aforementioned interested parties?

Nothing definite yet, thought it gets a lot of inquires.

So one individual that came to look at the boat didn’t buy it because he thought the trailer was too big. I really don’t want to sell the trailer anyway, its a tandem axle Loadright. I just installed new calipers and repacked all 4 bearings.
    This boat is 23’ long, 7’ beam and weighs 1810# empty. Is there a “smaller” trailer that would work?

Default Harry Bryan Rambler 23 for sale

You gotta nail these guys down.

" OK, give me a deposit today and I'll go right out and order the trailer you want."

( You can sell your trailer easily)

If he balks, he's not really a buyer; the trailer bit was just something to say.

Kevin

So one individual that came to look at the boat didn’t buy it because he thought the trailer was too big. I really don’t want to sell the trailer anyway, its a tandem axle Loadright. I just installed new calipers and repacked all 4 bearings.
    This boat is 23’ long, 7’ beam and weighs 1810# empty. Is there a “smaller” trailer that would work?
    He's not wrong. A tandem axle trailer is probably overkill for a boat that doesn't even break 2 tons fully laden. But that's a dumb reason to not buy the boat. He was looking for a polite way to refuse.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    He's not wrong. A tandem axle trailer is probably overkill for a boat that doesn't even break 2 tons fully laden. But that's a dumb reason to not buy the boat. He was looking for a polite way to refuse.
    Thats what I thought as well, but he called the broker back with a picture of a trailer asking if it would work.