Thread: Sam Manning

Default Sam Manning

Just informed that Sam Manning died this AM. For those that knew him notes to his widow Susan POB 722 Camden, Maine 04843. He'd been in hospice care for about a month. His work has and will be preserved at Penobscot Marine Museum.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Default Re: Sam Manning

Thanks for the address, Ben.

For those who didn't know about him and his contributions: http://www.glen-alden.com/illustrator.html

Never met him, but I adore and admire his work.

The passing of a real talent.

Peace,
    Robert

I did not know him, but his illustrations are responsible for probably 90% of what I think I know about wooden boats. When I was learning draftsmanship and illustration I always hoped to be able to match his clarity of line. I never came even remotely close of course, but I spent many hours examining his work, as a painter might copy an old master. He was a wonderful artist.

I have learned from, and enjoyed his work, in the Gardner books, and elsewhere.

May he rest in peace.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I first became aware of his talent for wonderfully clear illustrations when I read the Dory Book.No photographs could have conveyed the information in the same unambiguous manner and the examples of his work that live on in print will be a great resource for students of the art of illustration.Condolences to those close to him.

I met him once when he was around Royaton, CT. I kept a boat there. I rowed his Banks Dory with Sam and his wife aboard down to the mouth of the Five Mile river and back. My first and only experience with thole pins.

I was told that his father tried to make him a stock broker, and it did not work.

A 16 X 20-inch copy of TON TIMBER, which was one of the illustrations for NEW ENGLAND MASTS and the KING’s BROAD ARROW, is framed and on the wall a few feet away from me.

John Meachen has it right. Sam Manning’s illustrations revealed more than could a photograph. And, in addition to its accuracy, detail and precision, his work was pleasing to the eye.

His articles in the MAINE COAST FISHERMAN I appreciated, too. A couple of them covered the controversy surrounding the 60-foot Novi long-liners that were being built and subsidized by the Canadian government in the 1950s and 60s. (see illustration for one of those articles, and later used for the marine calendar below.)

Sam was helpful in my pursuit of some of my own interests.

I am sorry to hear that he is gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stumpstalker; 07-09-2019 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spelling of name

Sam was a very nice as well as very talented person. We will miss Sam.

A lot of what I know of boatbuilding was learned from Bud MacIntosh's book 'How to Build a Wooden Boat', all beautifully illustrated by Sam. He will be sorely missed.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I met Sam at some of the early Small Reach Regattas. Just yesterday I was working on some of his “Manning Benches”. Very sad news.

I met him once on a dock in Maine. He struck me as warm, humble and passionately interested in small boats. He was just getting underway in his sailing canoe.
    Fair Winds Sam!

Wouldn't be writing on this Forum had Sam not grabbed me with his drawings. I pulled my tattered Dory Book out and copy of New England Masts out yesterday to have a look. Rest in peace, Sam!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Howard’s Manning benches:

9E401D62-F452-4373-A008-092CAA69119F.jpg

I think I‘ll build a pair for myself.

And here's another lovely article, from a link in the one rbgarr pointed us to, including a good few photos and illustrations.

He looks different in those photos than I remember him. I guess I do too. Gee wiz, it was nearly 60 years ago.

I met Sam for the first time a few years ago at his house where he hosted the Downeast TSCA's New Years Day row and brunch. (We didn't row that year, I think the -20 had something to do with it) I presented him with a TSCA shirt and hat as a thank you for hosting. About a month later I get a package in the mail, an autographed copy of one of his books and this wonderful hand written letter. (The Mannings had no computer, email or cell phone) A unique individual, very talented, warm and personable.. RIP Sam.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

That is very cool, Steve.
    I had a little moment of glory one year at the Small Reach Regatta when there was a pretty strong onshore breeze and lots of boats were coming in to the beach a little ”hot”. As I approached I saw what was happening and before I got too close to the beach I rounded up and turned back into the wind, reached back and shipped the rudder and gently drifted onto the beach. Just in time to hear the Mannings compliment my boat handling skills. I think it might have just been luck that I didn’t screw anything up but that comment from them sure meant a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    That is very cool, Steve.
    I had a little moment of glory one year at the Small Reach Regatta when there was a pretty strong onshore breeze and lots of boats were coming in to the beach a little ”hot”. As I approached I saw what was happening and before I got too close to the beach I rounded up and turned back into the wind, reached back and shipped the rudder and gently drifted onto the beach. Just in time to hear the Mannings compliment my boat handling skills. I think it might have just been luck that I didn’t screw anything up but that comment from them sure meant a lot to me.
    Steven, had you dropped anchor as you rounded up it would have been 'club-hauling', a yet more seamanlike maneuver! See it performed here at 3:00 in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq0sXv6YeJM

Sam and Susan kept their dory at the Camden Public Landing year round, and now it's become an impromptu memorial...

Sam and Susan Manning's dory at Camden Public Landing July 13 2019.jpg

Heartbreaking. The illustrations in McIntosh's book and The Dory Book are so much better than photos could ever be.

This thread needs an illustration or two...

Thanks for all the fantastic art, Sam. Fair winds...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I only know Sam Manning from the pages of WoodenBoat. He introduced me to the art of it. Fair winds Sam! / Jim

I was down at the Landing the a few days ago, the flowers were neatly lined up up on the dock and Susan was out in the dory with what looked like an adult with a steering oar and a child with Susan rowing. A bit to far away to see well though.
    I often saw Sam and Susan around town, but I'm just too shy to introduce myself. I'm sure he's heard it a million times how beautiful his drawings are.

I think that you will all appreciate this brief film. Sam and Susan manning, with friends, on a small boat sail and oar trip to Matinicus Island. Such a good man.

Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

Thanks, Bob, that was fantastic!