Thread: Gender reveal burnouts

Default Gender reveal burnouts

It seems these days the way to announce the sex of your baby is by colored smoke from a burnout. This one seems to have gone a bit awry.
    I'm beginning to think I may have lived too long.

Default Re: Gender reveal burnouts

This whole "gender reveal" trend just blows my mind. I truly don't remember giving a crap about the gender. Completely useless information for at least the first year of the kid's life.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

I think the whole gender reveal party thing is a big waste of time and money.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Morons that think having a kid is some grand acomplisment akin to splitting the atom or curing a disease.
    Nosce te ipsum

Lordy, what a buncha ornery old curmudgeons. Young folks are excited about having a baby, let 'em have a party if they want, why not? Now, burning up a car in the process is a bit excessive, I agree, but idiots will always be with us.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Idiots reproducing.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Lordy, what a buncha ornery old curmudgeons. Young folks are excited about having a baby, let 'em have a party if they want, why not? Now, burning up a car in the process is a bit excessive, I agree, but idiots will always be with us.
    C'mon Keith, we never did anything stupid when we were testosterone infested young adults.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    C'mon Keith, we never did anything stupid when we were testosterone infested young adults.
    Well, we manage to survive to our current age, so we couldn't have done anything too stupid, at least not that I remember . . .
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    This whole "gender reveal" trend just blows my mind. I truly don't remember giving a crap about the gender. Completely useless information for at least the first year of the kid's life.
    I remember when we went for the sonogram for Tess the nurse asked if we wanted to know the sex. Initially we had decided we wanted to be surprised. Then my ExWife asked, so do you know ? The nurse responded, Oh yea WE KNOW FOR SURE !!! Well that got me thinking, who the hell are you to know and we are the parents, so we asked and so then we knew we were having a girl.

The funny thing is I wanted a girl and my ex wanted a boy, when we got the news I was initially excited then a wave of oh a boy would have been nice too. The exact opposite happened with my ex, she was sad that we were not having a boy, followed immediately by wow a girl would be so cool.

Gender reveals and insane video proposals are just beyond my comprehension.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Well, we manage to survive to our current age, so we couldn't have done anything too stupid, at least not that I remember . . .
    Only nowadays those stupid things end up on YouTube and everyone from Maryland to Malawi is witness.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Morons that think having a kid is some grand acomplisment akin to splitting the atom or curing a disease.
    Well. Fir sure its a life changer for the parents, ( and the baby, in a manner of speaking) but as a part of society? Not so much. I dont get the big deal about gender reveal parties at all.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Didn't one of them start a large wildfire not all that long ago?
    Nosce te ipsum

So with kid #1 at the ultra sound, the tech said: "you're having a little girl"

Kid #2 at the ultra sound, the tech said, "it appears to be female...."

Gotta love good bedside manner
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Do you guys have families? When some relative is pregnant, the conversation among the siblings and cousins and aunts is all about whether it will be a boy or a girl--mixed in with each relative/ friends personal experience having raised one, the other or both. So, the reveal is a natural extension of that.

Besides, its nice to be able to paint the room and buy the kids furniture and get useful baby shower gifts, etc.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Do you guys have families? When some relative is pregnant, the conversation among the siblings and cousins and aunts is all about whether it will be a boy or a girl--mixed in with each relative/ friends personal experience having raised one, the other or both. So, the reveal is a natural extension of that.

Besides, its nice to be able to paint the room and buy the kids furniture and get useful baby shower gifts, etc.

Kevin
    When my ex was pregnant with our daughter, we very deliberately kept her sex a secret. We painted her room orange and green. If relatives wanted to buy toys for the new baby before she was born, they had to eschew the gender stereotypes. Especially now, we realize that sex is not binary. A baby may be a boy, a girl, or something in between. If people really want to do a gender reveal, more power to them, but I think it is silly.

Aside from the purpose (or lack thereof), how is that "burn the tires and not go anywhere" thing done?

In this case it's very easy. Pour some ATF (with some additive that turns the smoke blue) on the tires, let 'er rip and tickle the brakes.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.