Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do some people think that the Tesla model 3 is ugly?

Default Why do some people think that the Tesla model 3 is ugly?

I had a look at one today, found it difficult to see that its much different to a whole lot of other current (sorry, that pun was an accident) cars. Its not easy to pick out in traffic, looks much like anything else but there are some who have very strong opinions about its appearance.
    Me? Its got four doors, 5 seats, a wheel on each corner, and gets along the road so who cares what it looks like.

But all that poses the question, some of the finned and over chromed monsters of the late 50s and early 60s were said to be "great looking cars". Some of the 90s ones were all angles and flared tyre wells, todays tend to be rounded and streamlined curves. Styles change, so what is a "good looking car" to forumites? What makes it good looking, what are the necessary features of a good looking car?

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: Why do some people think that the Tesla model 3 is ugly?

compared to the model S, it is nothing special. I think that is it's problem.

It's like comparing the BMW 3 and 5 series. The three was always a good looking car, but the fiver was always better looking.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I have always believed that automakers intentionally limit the visual appeal of their lower-end cars, in order to provide an incentive to up-sell to a more expensive model. If the cheap cars were every bit as pretty as the expensive ones, fewer people would be buying the higher-profit expensive ones.

While the appeal of the model 3 can be debated, it certainly doesn't look as good as the model S.... I suspect even Joe(SoCal) would agree with that.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

The blunt nose looks like they forgot to cut the hole for the grill.

That apart it could be mistaken for a ford or Kia or Hyundai or.....
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

I’d expect a 5 to be more stylish- it’s more expensive. A design needs to flow. For me, function dictates style. Fit/finish shouldn’t be an afterthought.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Porsche has run into that a bit- the Cayman is competing with the 911. A bit better design, actually- for less money.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Why do some people think that the Tesla model 3 is ugly?
    de gustibus non est disputandum
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It ain't no Vespa
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Ahhhhh a subject I can espouse on endlessly, let me get a fresh Nespresso™ ........ ahhhhh that’s better

So what John, said essentially, the laws of physics and fuel efficiency have left us with most cars looking extremely similar. The Model 3 is very much like most 4 door sedans, and the reason I compared it to Normans beloved Accord. Like most cars there is the showroom angel, and for the Model 3 that would be the 3/4 taken from the left rear or the top down slightly backward. The absolutely WORSE angle is the front end. I think that has to do with the lack of grill and the traditional visual cues. I have a wonderful aftermarket business where you can get all sorts of grill decals what would fit that blunt nose. Just think of a nice Austin Martin grill decal As a matter of fact when I get mine, I will probably just for giggles get my van wrap company to put one on mine

That said there is more beauty in the Model 3 than meets the eye and again a TEST DRIVE would revel these things The entire roof is glass which makes for a sleek and open feel. ( yes it can make you use more climate control but such is the price of beauty ) Also those bemoaned door handles are slippery and oh so cool ( again try them then talk ) Oh and as for the fit and finish issues, I’m sorry I’ve looked and looked and looked and many many many model 3’s and it’s like those Consumer Report, YouTube rants, I just don’t see it. To be honest the fit and finish on the Model 3 is WAY better than on my new Jeep and my New Ford Transit Connect ( and as a former industrial designer I notice these things )

Performance: OK this is one of those things you simply must experience no amount of words on a page can describe the INSTANT TORQUE ACCELERATION you feel when you step on the “gas”. Also because of the center bottom mass of the batteries it has nearly 50/50 weight distribution so it handles remarkably well. This is a sleeper sedan that will blow the doors off every other luxury car, even your beloved Porsche.

Interior is very nice but then again my Jeep’s interior is pretty nice as well, leather seats, nice stitching, the steering wheel seems a little basic. This biggest issue most people have is the lack of drivers instrument display above the steering wheel and I grant you it takes about 1.8 seconds to get over it. That said I really like the streamlined uncluttered almost Swiss furniture wooden dashboard. The single temp vent is ingenious. The cabin is spacious and well laid out. The HUGE touch screen is better, more responsive and more intuitive than any APPLE iPad ( and you all know what a rabid Apple fan I am )

Finally I would be remiss to not to mention the tech in this car. Cameras and sensors, safety beyond safety, self parking, yadda yadda yadda we’ve all heard about. Although what you don’t get is since this is a totally connect EV its essentially a tabula rasa - they release updates all the time that improve performance and range. When there was hurricanes in the south they blasted an upgrade that re-managed the range to help people get out. So while you may buy a 2020 Model 3 you can either opt or eventually be sent a performance package in the future. Not many cars can claim that at this time.

In the end the best way to judge this car is to simply take one out for a test drive.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

We all have our personal tastes, of course. Some like bulbous. Some prefer angular. Some like sleek. Some like aggressive.

And I have mine.

But in reality - I can appreciate various flavors... if the designs have integrity. If they flow. If the nose evokes the same sort of response as the tail. If - when it hearkens back to some design language (modern or archetypal or something in-between) - it ALL hearkens back to the same language.

I think the Tesla trips a bit with its nose. Too big a step away from a traditional 'sports car' look... unlike the rest of the car. The rest could have come off the board of someone from Pininfarina of Ghia. But not that nose, I think. The lead designer, I'm guessing, would have insisted on a bit more work on that aspect.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Ugly and pretty are the stupidest metrics.

Totally subjective, therefore completely irrelevant.

Like music, like art, like mates.

We like what we like, aesthetically, and judgments based on those preferences are ridiculous.

Peace,
    Likes Chain Drive Cycle Cars, For Example...

ETA Damn it. David G and I are cross post “agreeing”. What the heck is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Ugly and pretty are the stupidest metrics.

Totally subjective, therefore completely irrelevant.

Like music, like art, like mates.

We like what we like, aesthetically, and judgments based on those preferences are ridiculous.

Peace,
    Likes Chain Drive Cycle Cars, For Example...

ETA Damn it. David G and I are cross post “agreeing”. What the heck is going on?
    Yeah... knock it off!!! <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It&rsquo;s not that terrible looking. The biggest issue standing in the way for me, is the parts availability, or the lack there of. If something happens and you need a replacement part, you could wait a month for it.

Also the longevity of the company is in question, what happens if they go under in a few years?

I&rsquo;d rather stick with the companies that have been around for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by digdug18 View Post
    It&rsquo;s not that terrible looking. The biggest issue standing in the way for me, is the parts availability, or the lack there of. If something happens and you need a replacement part, you could wait a month for it.

Also the longevity of the company is in question, what happens if they go under in a few years?

I&rsquo;d rather stick with the companies that have been around for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Well fist there are far far far less moving parts, Second those moving parts are practically indestructible, as a matter of fact there is a robust secondary market for the electric motors since even after a Model 3 is totaled those electric motors at the ends of the wheels are usually perfectly fine.

In this global economy companies come and go or are bought and sold, this ain’t your daddy’s Pontiac

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    blah... blah... blah...
    of course you love it joe, its an iphone on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    It’s an IPhone that will out accelerate your Vette

Well fist there are far far far less moving parts, Second those moving parts are practically indestructible, as a matter of fact there is a robust secondary market for the electric motors since even after a Model 3 is totaled those electric motors at the ends of the wheels are usually perfectly fine.

In this global economy companies come and go or are bought and sold, this ainít your daddyís Pontiac

Wait.

Did you say totaled Teslas and second hand motors?

Peace,
    Iím Listening...

Itís an IPhone that will out accelerate your Vette
    Yeah, but how HIGH can you throw your iPhone?

Peace,
    N. Stigater

The parts are not indestructible.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

I had a ugly girlfriend but she bought me pizza and beer so I loved her, then I fell for a model and she took all my money, so be careful of looks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I had a ugly girlfriend but she bought me pizza and beer so I loved her, then I fell for a model and she took all my money, so be careful of looks
    I lucked out and got both, hot and get's me pizza and beer

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Of course not I was simply saying there are far less moving parts and the secondary market for motors AFTER a crash is high since they seem to withstand a lot of punishment and their position leaves them in reusable condition.

Nothing is indestructible

california pizza rocks

Just a note, do NOT buy a frozen pizza from Walmart..

Yeah, I know but the grandkids were here, they loved it. Also dollar store pizza is a culinary delight..

Cosco, 10 buck pizza not bad.

california pizza rocks
    ONLY if you know where to go

Bronx Pizza in SD
    Pizza Monza in Newport ( right next to the Ferrari dealership )
    New place we found in Laguna - Laguna Brewery, not a bad bar pie - they have a real oven and get a nice crust and the sauce is legit )

Or I could just been liven here to long now that my taste buds are going

california pizza rocks
    Have you ever checked out the amount of sugar in an American pizza? Chain ones anyway? Huge amounts of it. Off topic anyway.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

If it has a sim card, it might be a replacement for the eye phone.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

ONLY if you know where to go

Bronx Pizza in SD
    Pizza Monza in Newport ( right next to the Ferrari dealership )
    New place we found in Laguna - Laguna Brewery, not a bad bar pie - they have a real oven and get a nice crust and the sauce is legit )

Or I could just been liven here to long now that my taste buds are going
    I look for checkerboard table cloths and dean and Frank playing on the radio before I go in.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I look for checkerboard table cloths and dean and Frank playing on the radio before I go in.
    48077211-8BAA-448E-B1C8-1BF6487EE65C.jpg

I used to think that the Lotus Europa was the coolest car ever made. Somewhere along the line I realized it was even more fun if the car was big enough for me to get into and actually drive! Some of the Tesla shape is determined by aerodynamics, but some of it is due to having enough head and leg room for a guy 6'5" to get into, sit comfortably, and drive. The roof could be lower, but then I would not be able to buy it.

Oh, you could still buy it - but I'd have to drive it for ya.

bring a trailer

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Oh, you could still buy it - but I'd have to drive it for ya.
    Thanks for the assist. I'll keep you in mind!

bring a trailer
    I've seen the look before - head sticking a foot above the roll bars like a basketball player driving one of those Shriner cars. It's not a good look for me.

Nespresso. Really?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Name a vehicle that isn’t?
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.