Thread: Home Depot Gloat

Default Home Depot Gloat

So I'm at the local HD, suffering the indignities of big box retailing, getting some 2x10 for a non-boat project. (building ramps for a girlfriend who fell 10' out of a tree and fractured her pelvis, putting her in a wheelchair for 3 months, oh joy.) I always cast a weather eye for choice wood in the racks and tonight I hit the jackpot. This is the cleanest, clearest piece of Doug Fir that I shall ever see in such a place. Not one single defect in the whole 12' board and 99.5% heartwood. This is a minor high point in my existence. Clear Doug Fir can be had around here for a price but to find such a piece in such an unlikely locale has me kvelling.

Home Depot Score.jpg

Default Re: Home Depot Gloat

Huh, funny. I bought some of that DF from my local Home Depot a few weeks back as well. Nice stuff! Even the apron guy who helped me get it down remarked that it was better than what they usually get.

I once found a straight piece in the economy 2x4s.... damn, now I look back on things that might have been the highlight of the last 10 years
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Nice and clear but very prone to cupping due to the grain pattern.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Jay
    Indeed, which is why it's going to ripped into strips for a yet to be determined spar.

When did 6-ring to the inch DF become spar material? / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Jay

Rip it in half, epoxy it face to face and you have a very nice vertical grain 4 x 5
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Day to day the wood at our HD can go from crap hemlock to doug fir.
    That is a nice plank, but yea, it is a second growth , fast growing tree.Kiln dried.Heavier than old growth, in my experience.
    It's fine for most small boat things.
    Always hunt through the pile of 2x10's and 2x12's ,not 2x4's /2x6's.

I keep an eye on the pile of 1/4" underlayment too. Most of it is crap -- 2 paper-thin surface veneers over a core -- but once in a while they have something good show up; 3 equal plies, and well glued-up. If I see that I immediately start thinking of scarfing and building...

The kindling I use in the winter comes from Big Red Box cut offs.
    Jay

Though actually I found a "project panel" sized piece of ply in the red box once that was better than what they had on the shelf. Think they must have changed supplier or product code or something and put the last few of the older batch in there.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

I am boycotting HD because of it's Trump-loving owner. Screw 'em, I go to Lowe's.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    When did 6-ring to the inch DF become spar material? / Jim
    When I cut it up and build it into a spar

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I try to boycott HD as well which is across the street from Lowes. Ace is my go-to as its 5 minutes from the house and somewhat local. Lowes is a 30-minute drive across town.

I cut all the frames for my Simmons from Big box DF 2x, planed to 1-1/4" every one of them twisted and warped. I used those for kindling and cut new out of Mahogany. Gotta watch that moisture content.
    Simmons Sea Skiff build photos here:
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...92a21VWm02bmhR

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Always hunt through the pile of 2x10's and 2x12's ,not 2x4's /2x6's.
    Good advice... comes from bigger trees !

We picked through a full pallet of Cedar this spring (Friday night date ) Selected about 10 lengths out of the 120.....

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Good advice... comes from bigger trees !
    Yeah I've seen stuff so small and green in the cheaper 2x4s you could probably have dipped it in rooting compound and planted it.

What jay said about that plank. I still go to Lowes for some hardware item on occasion, but I've given up on Lowes and Home Despot for just about any lumber whatsoever. The possible savings in cost simply isn't worth the time, trouble, and splinters sorting through what you know already was graded as "bottom of the barrel" before it ever left the mill. I can't see spending the time going over a whole pike of lumber to find one or two pieces that are at least useable for the sake of a ten or fifteen percent savings when I can go to a decent lumberyard and do the same culling and find some really good pieces in the pile.