They hanged Mussolini from a lamp post...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

Re: They hanged Mussolini from a lamp post...

Originally posted by Keith Wilson
    Ladies and gentlemen, Landrith has just called domestic terrorists, mass murderers, those who killed 168 innocent civilians including 19 young children in a day care center, "my state's real militia".
    Of course he did.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Landrith
      • Aug 2005

Ladies and gentlemen, Landrith has just called domestic terrorists, mass murderers, those who killed 168 innocent civilians including 19 young children in a day care center, "my state's real militia".
      That is an inflammatory and damaging characterization of my post which was actually referring to a Mainsteam publication Vanity Fair's article where Gore Vidal stated that at a lake in Kansas some people identified by Vidal as members of the Kansas state militia helped build the fertilizer bomb in the Ryder rental truck. It caught my attention at the time because the Oklahoma City bombing was a horrific tragedy and I spent a lot of time with the Kansas Army National Guard and I did not know the men Vidal named.

"Farley was testifying for the defense about his experience a few days before the bombing. Farley, an employee of the Fort Riley Outdoor Recreation Center, near Geary Lake, had already told the F.B.I. that on April 17 or 18, 1995, he had gone to the lake to scout out the fishing potential. After inspecting the lake, Farley drove down the road that led back to the highway, but his departure was slowed by a number of vehicles parked close to the exit—a pickup, a large stakebed truck, a brown car, and a Ryder truck—and standing near the vehicles were several men. The large truck was burdened with what he believed were bags of ammonium nitrate fertilizer. “It looked like it was completely weighted down,” Farley told the jury. He thought the truck was stuck due to the weight of the fertilizer, and decided to offer assistance. He quickly changed his mind when one of the men—the same man, he believed, he was identifying more than two and a half years later in court—shot him a nasty glare. The man was standing practically next to Farley’s car, and he had a number of distinguishing features, including a beard with no mustache. A few days later, after the bombing, Farley claims, he saw the man again. This time on TV, being interviewed about militia issues. By then it was known that the bomb had been detonated in the back of a Ryder truck that had allegedly been rented in Junction City, Kansas, close to Geary Lake. "

Americans were fed the story of Timothy McVeigh’s trial and execution as a simple, unquestionable narrative: he was guilty, he was evil, and he acted largely alone. Gore Vidal’s 1998 Vanity Fair essay on the erosion of the U.S. Bill of Rights caused McVeigh to begin a three-year correspondence with Vidal, prompting an examination of certain evidence that points to darker truths—a conspiracy willfully ignored by F.B.I. investigators, and a possible cover-up by a government waging a secret war on the liberty of its citizens.

I gather you Keith didn't take a proprietary concern as a tax paying citizen as it has come out since that the Oklahoma City bomber continued to have explosive training by the regular Army long after he was supposedly separated from service.
      Last edited by Landrith; 07-09-2019, 11:54 AM.
      "Bai'r llywodraeth yw e." Tollbooth (2021)

Comment

• Dave Wright
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TomF
        To be clear, I do not wish to see Trump assassinated or even mildly physically damaged. The police shouldn't bang his head on the car if they put him into the back seat in handcuffs; they shouldn't "rough him up a little" if they put him into a paddywagon. I want Trump's actions and directions - some of which were described by Mueller in great detail - investigated honestly and thoroughly, with any resulting consequences being those mandated under your Constitution. Period. And failing that, I want him utterly trounced in the 2020 Presidential election - both in terms of Electoral College and Popular Vote. And subjected to prosecution (if that's where the evidence points) for whatever crimes put on ice because of that Department of Justice "policy" about not prosecuting a sitting POTUS.
        Well yes, of course that's the right way to think about it. While this is going on though, it's important to note that there are up to 24 lightning strikes per square mile per year in Florida. Golf courses are particularly vulnerable....if God wills.
        Apple products have always been silly expensive,
        no one told anyone to buy an iPhone, there are plenty fine cheep non apple cell phones.

Comment

• Gerarddm
          #RESIST
          • Feb 2010

So, Rummy, look back carefully, there are any number of coments herein decrying the OP. So why you think the " whole thread " is disturbing is beyond me. I hope you were equally disturbed by our current president's call for his rally goers to riot, and for Second Amendment solutions to the Hillary 'crisis'.

Were you?
          Gerard>
          Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Keith Wilson
            Trying to be reasonable
            • Oct 1999

Originally posted by Landrith
            That is an inflammatory and damaging characterization of my post . . .
            Against my better judgement, I'll bite.

So you're referring to the National Guard as the 'real state militia'? And claiming that members of the Kansas National Guard were involved in the Oklahoma City bombing - or claiming that Gore Vidal (who has almost as much of a fondness for conspiracy theories as you do) said they were?

My understanding (which corresponds to the dictionary definition) is that a "militia" means an improvised military force, raised on an ad hoc basis from the general population in an emergency, or an unofficial military group (as the Italian partisans you referred to earlier). That doesn't accurately describe the National Guard - although the National Guard is the closest modern equivalent to the 'well-regulated militia' mentioned in the Constitution. (Militias in that sense have been obsolete as military forces for about 200 years, but never mind . . .) Thus, perhaps, a misunderstanding. I don't intend to mischaracterize your posts. You say a lot of things I think are stark raving mad, but I want to respond to what you actually intend to say.
            Last edited by Keith Wilson; 07-09-2019, 12:29 PM.
            "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
            for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• TomF
              Recalcitrant Heretic
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Dave Wright
              Well yes, of course that's the right way to think about it. While this is going on though, it's important to note that there are up to 24 lightning strikes per square mile per year in Florida. Golf courses are particularly vulnerable....if God wills.
              Thoughts and prayers.
              If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                Ancient Mariner
                • Dec 2006

My great uncle was killed by lightening playing golf. It could happen.

Comment

• bobbys
                  • Jun 2009

Intresting take on theology, God uses lighting to knock off people?..

And here I almost had Keith and Tom converted. Smile.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                    • Jun 2001

Maybe it could happen here -

On the same day as Mussolini left Milan, the CNLAI declared:
                    The members of the fascist government and those fascist leaders who are guilty of having suppressed constitutional guarantees, destroyed the people's freedoms, created the fascist regime, compromised and betrayed the country, bringing it to the current catastrophe are to be punished with the penalty of death. — CLNAI, Decree issued 25 April 1945

Comment

• Landrith
                      • Aug 2005

Against my better judgement, I'll bite.

So you're referring to the National Guard as the 'real state militia'? And claiming that members of the Kansas National Guard were involved in the Oklahoma City bombing - or claiming that Gore Vidal (who has almost as much of a fondness for conspiracy theories as you do) said they were?

My understanding (which corresponds to the dictionary definition) is that a "militia" means an improvised military force, raised on an ad hoc basis from the general population in an emergency, or an unofficial military group (as the Italian partisans you referred to earlier). That doesn't accurately describe the National Guard - although the National Guard is the closest modern equivalent to the 'well-regulated militia' mentioned in the Constitution. (Militias in that sense have been obsolete as military forces for about 200 years, but never mind . . .) Thus, perhaps, a misunderstanding. I don't intend to mischaracterize your posts. You say a lot of things I think are stark raving mad, but I want to respond to what you actually intend to say.
                      No, I was in the National Guard. If you look at it, it is very much a federal creation. Like the various highway patrol organizations importantly called "State Police", also largely federally controlled. If you look at History before the 1930's,you will see in many encounters you would, of course, remember learning about as a Lefty where state officials cause the union strikers to be gunned down by a "state militia". Well,that bunch of thugs hired by Republican factory owners is not the National Guard we know of today. Federal funds, rules and standards started taking over the traditional state militias in the late 30's and then after WWII they became an extension of the Army. Meanwhile, especially in Western states you can find they have both a National Guard (Army and Airforce), and a true state militia. Still with a largely informal and honorary leadership when acknowledged officially, but I am sure willing to fill out the ranks with paid thugs to protect mines or factories...

In the constitutional sense, Keith Wilson is Minnesota's militia. When your governor calls up men at arms to defend your sanctuary cities from President Trump's tanks, you will be exercising the right to bear arms (your state's right) as we understood it in the 1960's and 1970's...
                      Last edited by Landrith; 07-09-2019, 01:16 PM.
                      "Bai'r llywodraeth yw e." Tollbooth (2021)

Comment

• David G
                        • Dec 2003

What a long strange trip it's been...
                        David G
                        Harbor Woodworks
                        https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Osborne Russell
                          • Mar 2006

Like the various highway patrol organizations importantly called "State Police", also largely federally controlled.
                          Controlled how?

In the constitutional sense, Keith Wilson is Minnesota's militia. When your governor calls up men at arms to defend your sanctuary cities from President Trump's tanks, you will be exercising the right to bear arms (your state's right) as we understood it in the 1960's and 1970's...
                          If it's my right, I can choose not to exercise it. I can tell the Prez and the state to F off. If it's my right to arm myself, it's my right to not arm myself.

Seems like an odd conception of a "real militia"
                          Do not speak of "our institutions" unless you make them yours by acting on their behalf.

Timothy Snyder, On Tyranny (2017)​

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                            Ancient Mariner
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Osborne Russell
                            Controlled how?

If it's my right, I can choose not to exercise it. I can tell the Prez and the state to F off. If it's my right to arm myself, it's my right to not arm myself.

Seems like an odd conception of a "real militia"
                            So what militia are you attached to, the kkk, the Bundy group, the White Neo Nazi crowd. what?

Comment

• Dave Wright
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bobbys
                              Intresting take on theology, God uses lighting to knock off people?..

And here I almost had Keith and Tom converted. Smile.
                              I heard it straight from at least a half dozen Republican religious authorities (Pat Robertson, Hal Lindsay, Charles Colson, John McTernan, Franklin Graham, Buster Wilson, - and so many more!) that God punishes sinners (you know, gays, abortion supporters, etc.) with major disasters like hurricanes.

So, learning and taking my cue from these esteemed religious Republicans, I simply have to wonder. How come this vengeful god doesn't have one little lightning bolt to strike down just one confirmed liar, cheat, swindler, rapist, pedophile, sodomizing, old man? Is this too much to expect. Heck what's one lightning bolt compared to a whole hurricane?
                              Apple products have always been silly expensive,
                              no one told anyone to buy an iPhone, there are plenty fine cheep non apple cell phones.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                                • Jun 2001

I heard it straight from at least a half dozen Republican religious authorities (Pat Robertson, Hal Lindsay, Charles Colson, John McTernan, Franklin Graham, Buster Wilson, - and so many more!) that God punishes sinners (you know, gays, abortion supporters, etc.) with major disasters like hurricanes.

So, learning and taking my cue from these esteemed religious Republicans, I simply have to wonder. How come this vengeful god doesn't have one little lightning bolt to strike down just one confirmed liar, cheat, swindler, rapist, pedophile, sodomizing, old man? Is this too much to expect. Heck what's one lightning bolt compared to a whole hurricane?
                                It's almost enough to make a person question the whole "religion thing" init?

Comment

Working...