Thread: Recommendations on a ski boat build.

Default Recommendations on a ski boat build.

A few years ago I got some great recommendations on suggestions for my first build. I ended up with a sweet Northeastern Dory by CLC. Thinking about my next build and I'd really like a runabout I can pull skiers and inner tubes with. Perhaps something I can carry 4-6 people or throw some gear in and camp out a night or two. It would be nice if I could take it on the ocean on calm days as well as the lakes but not sure if that's asking too much.

I was looking at the Malahini by designer: Glen L Marine

Hoping for more good suggestions. I would say my building skills are intermediate with the combined experience of my brother and father who have all build their own boats. .

Edit: I forgot, I love the classic/vintage style with mahogany.

Thanks you fellow obsessed crazies.
    Last edited by D Morris; 07-09-2019 at 01:35 AM.
    Never ask a amateur boat builder "Are you done yet?". The only correct question is "Can I buy you a beer and steak dinner?".

Default Re: Recommendations on a ski boat build.

I've always liked the look of this one...
    http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=Utility/SeaRover
    Has a cuddy version.

Would probably want to stick a 40HP on it for towing oomph I'd think, don't think much more would be very wise without serious figgerin'.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Thanks man, l'll look into it!
    Never ask a amateur boat builder "Are you done yet?". The only correct question is "Can I buy you a beer and steak dinner?".

https://bowdidgemarinedesigns.com/

Mark Bowdidge has some of the best home built wooden power boats for open water fishing. Can’t speak to skiing with them. But I bet one of his designs would work for you.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Thanks Matt. In regards to skiing behind, we already have quite a few doing that already LOL

Can you provide a link to some of your ski boat designs? After researching many options I see your brand is well respected.
    Last edited by D Morris; 07-13-2019 at 05:45 PM.

are you asking me D Morris or refering to someone elses post?

Mark,

Sorry, yes I was asking you.

What some of our builders are doing (those with families) are simply adding ski poles or towing pits to their boat. This way, they can either go fishing or if the family want to go wakeboarding/ skiing or towing a rubber raft, they can.

22 foot plywood 2.jpg22 foot plywood 3.jpg22 foot plywood.jpg

I am sorry to say that I don't recall the name of the poster but these are photos that I saved from the forum. Hopefully, someone else will recall who it is and what the boat design is.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsub86 View Post
    22 foot plywood 2.jpg22 foot plywood 3.jpg22 foot plywood.jpg

I am sorry to say that I don't recall the name of the poster but these are photos that I saved from the forum. Hopefully, someone else will recall who it is and what the boat design is.
    Hey, that's my boat a Whitefin21, my son in law at the helm! I Posted that in about 2005 shortly after launching. It's still going strong, here's a photo from last summer's family trip on Rainy Lake:

DSC00901.jpg

I built it from plans highlighted in Boatbuilder magazine and communication with the designer afterward led me to believe it is the only one built from those plans. It has worked out great for me as a cruising/picnic/camping boat but my kids have pulled tubers and water-skiers without problem. It tops out at 36 MPH with a Yamaha 90 but I'm not really into the waterski thing. I am doubtful that the plans are still available but would try to help find if interested.
    Bruce
    Last edited by hnsbrc; 07-14-2019 at 04:50 PM.