Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Finn

Default Talk me out of a Finn

An old glass Finn just popped up on C-List right in my little town. I've always been fascinated by them, though I've never sailed one. I use to sail/race a Force 5, but that was like forty years ago. I'm in pretty good nick for an old codger of 65, but would I be foolish to release my inner Paul Evlstrom at this late date?

I haven't looked at it yet, and I don't know who made the hull, but it looks to be in nice shape, with two pretty good dacron sails, and under a grand all in.

I'm teetering
    Tom

Default Re: Talk me out of a Finn

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    An old glass Finn just popped up on C-List right in my little town. I've always been fascinated by them, though I've never sailed one. I use to sail/race a Force 5, but that was like forty years ago. I'm in pretty good nick for an old codger of 65, but would I be foolish to release my inner Paul Evlstrom at this late date?

I haven't looked at it yet, and I don't know who made the hull, but it looks to be in nice shape, with two pretty good dacron sails, and under a grand all in.

I'm teetering
    Tom
    Do it Tom. Another reason to stay in shape. They are fun and require core muscles - things that will keep you young, bold and happy.

the Finn is a great boat. There are number of classes and competitive races that you could do if you felt that was your thing. An old well thought out and sailed Finn still can give a run for the money against the carbon ones.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-08-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

They are definitely fun little boats. I presume it's the one in Redwood?

There's one in Charlotte, VT for $1250 (been on for 20 days, so an offer might well be accepted) that includes a trailer: https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d...922323101.html

So far no one is doing a very good job of talking you out of it, eh?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

You don't need to sail it in big winds; or if you do invite a friend along.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

They had over 300 boats for the Masters regatta in Denmark recently. That just goes to prove that there is most certainly a market for a boat guys that weigh 200 pounds (or more) can sail without having to come up with crew.

I loved the two I had, the fleet I sailed with, and the class. The history of it. The boat itself is fun to sail. If you have never sailed a Finn it has all the bells and whistles of a much bigger boat, but with the simplicity of a one-man dinghy. I would never talk anyone out of sailing a Finn. If my hip worked I'd be out there with them still.

Oh, and one of the boats I had came from Willow Bank YC near Syracuse. I got to sail in the Toilet Bowl when I picked her up and that was a lot of fun.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

The only thing about Finns as a daysailer for us older guys is ducking under the VERY low boom. If I were to have one I might consider changing the rig a bit, to something like this. It would require a bridle across the tiller however.
    phpThumb.jpg

Yeah, you pretty much have to kiss the floor to cross in a Finn.

Mickey Lake

I heard back from the guy, he thinks it is a Newport, so that would make it very old I think? The lack of a trailer is no biggie, it's only 10 miles away and I've got lots of trailers. I'm going to look at it this afternoon.

You guys arn't helping. I was teetering, now I'm leaning over the edge with my arms pinwheeling.

I heard back from the guy, he thinks it is a Newport, so that would make it very old I think? The lack of a trailer is no biggie, it's only 10 miles away and I've got lots of trailers. I'm going to look at it this afternoon.

You guys arn't helping. I was teetering, now I'm leaning over the edge with my arms pinwheeling.
    can you take a trailer... you know for a better today price.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Thatís good practice for hiking out.

Peace,
    What Are You WAITING For?

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    That’s good practice for hiking out.

Peace,
    What Are You WAITING For?
    Yeah, while wearing six soaking wet sweaters — old school!

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    The only thing about Finns as a daysailer for us older guys is ducking under the VERY low boom. If I were to have one I might consider changing the rig a bit, to something like this. It would require a bridle across the tiller however.
    This is less expensive than a new sail:

The Finn will cost more than a sawbuck, but you should still go for it.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 07-08-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Yeah, while wearing six soaking wet sweaters ó old school!

Seriously, though, the clock is ticking. We canít, not any of us here, waste any days. Get the boat, and sail it.

Enjoy it.

Peace,
    Robert

Yeah, while wearing six soaking wet sweaters — old school!
    Wool I hope, the real stuff does really keep you warm even wet. Or was it just a canny way of avoiding class movable ballast rules. "Here, put on two fair isle sweaters and get wet ASAP, that'll add 100lb..."
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Plyboy View Post
    Wool I hope, the real stuff does really keep you warm even wet. Or was it just a canny way of avoiding class movable ballast rules. "Here, put on two fair isle sweaters and get wet ASAP, that'll add 100lb..."
    It may have been coincidence but the rules about wearing wet clothing for ballast were changed.Just a few months after several very good Finn sailors had knee surgery to repair the damage they had done.In those days I sometimes wore a 28lb weight jacket as a trapezing crew and the only time I really noticed it was a second or two after taking it off,when I briefly felt a little taller.I owned a Finn for a year or two in the eighties but was never tall enough or heavy enough,now I have one of those factors dealt with I just need to get a few inches taller.

Thanks for that link!

I pulled the trigger, I guess I knew I would

Newport hull #699, with a nice, straight Needlespar mast, two very clean North sails, and a nearly unblemished hull, I couldn't say no. Apparently, it was bought new by a local Doctor and only sailed on the little inland lake where I found it, remarkable! In a few days I'll splash it in the St Lawrence and we'll get acquainted.

Thanks for that link!

Newport hull #699, with a nice, straight Needlespar mast, two very clean North sails, and a nearly unblemished hull, I couldn't say no. Apparently, it was bought new by a local Doctor and only sailed on the little inland lake where I found it, remarkable! In a few days I'll splash it in the St Lawrence and we'll get acquainted.
    Yep - you knew everyone here would tell you not to buy it, right?

Hint: Don't tell your wife that you tried to get us to talk you out of it - unless you wanna sleep in the new boat for a few nights...

Congrats & I hope you have lots of fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Plyboy View Post
    Some where in one of Elfstrom's books there is a photo of him wearing wet sweaters. ISAF finally put in a rule about weight.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Yeah, you pretty much have to kiss the floor to cross in a Finn.

Mickey Lake
    I sort of recall that if you stood the mast up straight the boom went up. For day sailing you could just slack the main tacking. The way to reset the finn using existing kit might be just to take 6 inches or a foot out of the leech, would need to rerope the foot. International Canoes were easier to change dimensions with a loose footed main.
    Ben Fuller

Thanks for that link!

Donít do it!

There. I TRIED to talk you out of it, but I was too late, so you may as well enjoy it.

Peace,
    Robert

Now what does it take to make the Olympic team besides sailing skill and 300 sit ups a day. You have 5 years to get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Now what does it take to make the Olympic team besides sailing skill and 300 sit ups a day. You have 5 years to get ready.
    If the Finn is in for 20 it is out for 24. No longer a big guy boat in the five ring circus.
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    If the Finn is in for 20 it is out for 24. No longer a big guy boat in the five ring circus.
    Damn! August then!

• Finn - Melbourne, Australia | 13-21 December 2019

• 2019 Test Event | August 15-22, 2019 | Enoshima, Japan
    • 2019 World Cup Series Enoshima | August 25-September 1, 2019 | Enoshima, Japan

2020 Funding Levels (Based on 2019 results):

Level Achieved the Following
    A1 Finish on the Podium at any of the three above events
    A2 Finish within the top 10 countries at any of the three above events

No, the Finn is out after this cycle.

I think you will have a wonderful time sailing your boat. I really wish I had found the Finn while in my teens or twenties before getting into Star boats. I learned an awful lot even starting in my late forties.

Mickey Lake

I sailed a friend's Newport Finn in Nantucket Sound when I was about fifteen. I probably weighted about 130 lbs. When the wind was was very light it was remarkably stable and fun. When whitecaps arose the boat bulled me around something fierce. It was all I could do to keep from capsizing especially during jibes. But boy did that boat plane!

Just a "human interest" addendum to this story:

First, I asked the seller about the original owner. He told me he was a Doctor, and he knew nothing about him but his name that was on the sail bag. Curious about a guy who would buy a serious race boat like this just to sail by himself on that little lake, I Googled him. Turns out he was a chest cutter in Watertown NY, former Air Force, and a one-time P51 jockey! As I know this boat was built in the 70's, the good Doctor must have been in his 50's when he bought it, I'm guessing he was still a bit of an adrenaline junkie?

Second, the fellow I bought it from said he was a lifetime Summer resident of this lake. As so happens, my wife and I had bought her '47 Chris Craft "Rocket" off this same lake around 30 years ago, so I asked him if he remembered that boat. He got a funny look on his face and said "Do you mean the Honey Bear?" I had forgotten that name that had been on the transom when we bought it. So I told him, yes, and that we had bought it and taken in over to the River all those years ago. He told me that all the kids on the lake had loved that boat, the last woody on the lake, and that they had stopped what they were doing and waved whenever the Honey Bear went by. He asked me whatever had happened to it, so I told him it was a hundred yards away in our barn. He asked to see it, and took pictures of it to send to his siblings and old lake friends -- and that was a treat for us both.

There's something special about special boats.

Tom

Thanks for sharing that! Great story.

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    The way to reset the finn using existing kit might be just to take 6 inches or a foot out of the leech, would need to rerope the foot.

Just do and enjoy it.

Post pics here of you doing so.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

I once had a kite but really loved sailing a Finn that belonged to one of my friends whenever the Santana winds blew up in S. California. That boat was able to surf in the open sea when the angle was right on. However pitch polling in the troughs was a very wet affair!
    Jay

I sail both a modern Devoti Finn and a classic Fairey wooden Finn. I have a Needlespar mast and the original wooden mast for the classic Finn and race it in classic events with either rig. I'm sure you'll have a great deal,of fun and soon find that there's plenty of room to get under the boom without altering a thing as the boom goes up when you release the sheet and the cockpit's deep.
    if you need any help or advice I'm the classic Fin rep for the British Finn Association and you can contact me through the BFA site

I lusted after a Kite (self-bailing) or an OK dinghy after I sailed that Finn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_(sailboat)

Newport Finns are REALLY old.
    I advise you to pay attention to a few details. This from a guy who built a few hundred Vanguards.
    Make sure the tanks are watertight, and there are no openings in the deck forward of the tanks.
    Make sure you have TWO optimist size airbags under the foredeck between the mast and the front end of the tanks.
    If you don’t have these bags, when you right the boat there may be enough water in the tub that you cannot sail the boat dry with the suction bailers. This is a certainty if there are any holes, like where a compass might have been.
    Also make sure the rudder latch works and the rudder cannot fall off. Nothing is worse than righting the boat and seeing your rudder ten yards away.
    Helmets make sense, I was knocked unconscious by a Finn boom at age 10 or 11. Fortunately it wasn’t blowing very hard and I came to in the bottom of an upright boat.
    Finns are real boats, if you have good tight tanks, they are very seaworthy and can be sailed a long way.
    SHC