Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk me out of a Finn

Default Re: Talk me out of a Finn

Quote Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
    I sail both a modern Devoti Finn and a classic Fairey wooden Finn. I have a Needlespar mast and the original wooden mast for the classic Finn and race it in classic events with either rig. I'm sure you'll have a great deal,of fun and soon find that there's plenty of room to get under the boom without altering a thing as the boom goes up when you release the sheet and the cockpit's deep.
    if you need any help or advice I'm the classic Fin rep for the British Finn Association and you can contact me through the BFA site
    That's interesting! Somebody near me has a Fairey Jollyboat, I see it out every once in a while. Years ago, there was a fleet of those at the Rochester (NY) YC, it probably came from there.

We have had zero wind since I got the boat, but yesterday I took a shot at rigging it up on the lawn, and I'm stumped by a few things. Perhaps some of the Finn veterans here can help me out?

First -- the tack. There's no fitting at the gooseneck to secure the tack, there is a cunningham tackle that leads through the deck on one side, is the tack secured the same way? There are other fairleads by the mast step.

[IMD83409E3-C56B-46C1-B1D2-C8DFEAF785C4.jpg

Next, the vang. It looks like there is a cable bridle for a vang, but I don't see how to attach it to the mast? There is a small SS tang right at the mast base that might serve, but I don't see how to connect it, am I missing some bit of hardware?

95D3790C-B130-4CDB-A0D7-DC042B05CB21.jpg

Lastly (for now ) there is a black line coming right out of the top of the stem, what the heck is that for?? It leads back to the cockpit, ls it a tow line?

577D2923-B582-4457-B311-6C49C4C40098.jpg

That's all for now. The concerns about the tanks and floatation are well founded, and I'll give that a good look. My boat also has large foam blocks attached to the hull forward of the tanks that look like they may have been added later, I don't know?

Anyway, thanks for the help and support, one of these days they'll be a moderate breeze day, and I'll sally forth with good intent!

Tom
    Last edited by moTthediesel; 07-11-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Hi Tom -

Your images in the post above (the one about rigging) aren't showing.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Hi Tom -

Your images in the post above (the one about rigging) aren't showing.
    Goddamn Google photos! Since they closed out Google+ it’s been giving me fits!

I can see them on all my devices, perhaps it's a privacy setting issue? Problem is, how do I know if I have fixed it??
    Last edited by moTthediesel; 07-11-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    I can see them on all my devices, perhaps it's a privacy setting issue? Problem is, how do I know it I have fixed it??
    Wait for annoying people like me to say they can't see 'em?

Why not just upload 'em to the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Wait for annoying people like me to say they can't see 'em?

Why not just upload 'em to the forum?
    Yeah, but they're from my phone, they'll prob be flipped.
    Last edited by moTthediesel; 07-11-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Yep - I email pics from my phone to my confuser, fix 'em & then upload 'em.

I can see them OK (using Chrome), but unfortunately have no experience with Finns to be able to offer info. Might check the Finn site?

They're showing for me as well. Also - no Finn experience her either.

Ched Proctor of North Sails may be able to help. ched.proctor@northsails.com

He's a Finn sailor and has contributed to a Finn Tuning Guide available online: https://www.northsails.com/sailing/e...n-tuning-guide

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Ched Proctor of North Sails may be able to help. ched.proctor@northsails.com

He's a Finn sailor and has contributed to a Finn Tuning Guide available online: https://www.northsails.com/sailing/e...n-tuning-guide
    Thanks, I’ll look that over — but what I really need in “Finn tuning - 40 years ago” ;<)

#1 - you can tie the tack to the mast because the cunningham will keep it where it needs to go. I used to just tie it a little loose so it would slide up and down the mast.

#2 - we all have lever vangs but I will be darned if I can remember how it's rigged. I can look at the club.

#3 - yes, it is your tow line. Usually we tie those off at the mast so I am not sure now it's secured.

#4 - you will want to rig a bungee to pull the boom forward for you. It's easy to do.

#5 - you need to learn what a Jesus knot is and what it's for. It's important.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

The tack is normally controlled with a line passing through through the deck or a block on the deck on both sides and led back to a cleat on each side deck. It needs tensioning upwind to flatten the sail and easing downwind to increase fullness in the sail.
    Early masts (yours is a Needlespar 3B, the first of the alloy masts introduced in 1972), attached the wire part of the kicker to the small tang you have. A more secure method is to pass the wire strop around the mast, protect it with a sheath of plastic and secure with a small eye on the front of the mast close to the deck ring. The eye only locates then and doesn't take any real strain and the sheath prevents the wire cutting into the mast. Then you attach a purchase between the tang and the lever of about 3:1 and a block to the tail so that again you can adjust it from either side deck. Pull the kicker down to increase power on a reach and to prevent the sail twisting on a run then ease it for upwind sailing and gybing so you can get under the boom

'Finn tuning 49 years ago' - by then the rigging was almost the same as today, inhaul (tack), Cunningham, out haul and kicker were all controlled by lines coming back to the side deck either side. The lines were either led over the deck from pairs of blocks either side of the mast or by lines going down through the deck and back from pairs of blocks at the mast step. Mast rake should be about 6.76m from the black band to the top of the transom, a little more for strong winds ( to bend the mast and flatten the sail more). Upwind the boom should be pulled down with the main sheet until it's on the side deck, just above it 4-6" in light winds, and the traveller set so that the boom end is at the gunwhale, further out for stronger winds.

Thanks Peter — that is a clear and comprehensive explanation! I see the mechanical logic of that vang (kicker to you) tackle now — it’s really very clever — a clever lever if you will ;<)

I found a Finn tuning control diagram online, and your right, it’s pretty much unchanged these 40 years on — that’s kind of remarkable. I’m lucky to have a pretty well equipped shop, I should be able to knock up something to make that “kicker” operational, as an old Force 5 jockey, I live in fear of running without a vang. “Trim or swim” we used to say.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    Thanks Peter — that is a clear and comprehensive explanation! I see the mechanical logic of that vang (kicker to you) tackle now — it’s really very clever — a clever lever if you will ;<)

I found a Finn tuning control diagram online, and your right, it’s pretty much unchanged these 40 years on — that’s kind of remarkable. I’m lucky to have a pretty well equipped shop, I should be able to knock up something to make that “kicker” operational, as an old Force 5 jockey, I live in fear of running without a vang. “Trim or swim” we used to say.

Tom
    I think you need to read Gary Hoyt's description of gybing a Finn in a healthy breeze.I read it a very long time ago and during my brief period of Finn ownership realised I had no chance of getting close to that sort of competence.Simply the wrong size and shape for the boat but I admire it and have great respect for those who drive them hard.

Wire strap for Vang goes around the front of the mast held down by small eye strap or equivalent.
    the tack of that sail doesn’t look like the inhaul version. That has an approximately 45 degree cutof that more or less makes the sail have two tacks. One to pull the foot tight another to pull the luff tight.
    I would just lash the tack around the mast.
    The painter/ tow line can be pulled aft under the foredeck so just the knot is at the stem head. A nifty system I use on almost all my boats that have a painter.
    SHC