Thread: Wood from pecan trees?

Default Wood from pecan trees?

Is there any place pecan tree wood could be used onboard a boat? I've done a quick search and nothing comes up. My friend that will be supplying me with my wood ask if I'd be interested in any of it at milling cost. His crew is about to fell around 20 pecan trees ranging from 10 to 30 inches in diameter. It's coming from a pecan plantation/orchard(?). The trees were well cared for until the owner's death a few years ago. The new owners want the land completely cleared for horses.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Default Re: Wood from pecan trees?

Pecan is a type of hickory and prone to rot. It also turns gray quickly. Not a good boat building wood, but a very good hard, strong wood for other purposes. Your friend might find a lumber mill that will pay for the logs.

https://www.wood-database.com/pecan/
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Pecan is a favorite of chip carvers and makers of Americana furniture. The grain and texture I'm told are a delight to carve.

Thanks guys. I've had a cord of pecan rot over a wet summer. I didn't think there would be a place for it. Thought I would ask. His company specializes in land clearing and responsible harvesting around our area. They have their own sawmill. They have a slight overage problem at the moment and most pecan they have goes to feed wood burners in the winter. Not many, if any, furniture makers or woodworkers around here.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

you could use it in the barbecue grill or the smoker !

good for tillers(need to be kept covered) tool/axe handles and smoking meat(BBQ)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

My experience is that smoking with pecan gives a wonderful flavor to prime rib, pork butt, ribs, ham etc.
    One quick way around here too identify pecan is woodpeckers peck.

How would that be for interior fitout? Would it be too prone to expansion/contraction? It seems to make beautiful cabinetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    How would that be for interior fitout? Would it be too prone to expansion/contraction? It seems to make beautiful cabinetry.
    Onboard a boat, possibly. I'm planning a quality cabinet grade ply for my cabinetry and furniture, DF or Birch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Once it's dried - it doesn't move much. So for furniture and interior millwork - excellent, and often beautiful. Just nowhere where it might get wet. Not durable at all. Good firewood, if stored inside a shed.

The flip side of the open grained woods issue, is they should suck up thin epoxy or other runny sealants or preservatives extremely well. Whereas epoxy would just sit on top of white oak. So it would seem that if you wanted to make a piece or two that was really bulletproof, then you'd think these would actually be more desirable for it. However, doing a lot with it, or putting it somewhere you'd forget about it, would probably mean that 100% attention to it, in terms of regular checking for damage, or getting it extremely well covered in the first place, might not be so likely to happen.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.