Thread: Llewellyn Howland passed June 21st 2019

Default Llewellyn Howland passed June 21st 2019

It would mean more that you would imagine, if you would sign the Guest Book at:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx
    Last edited by John Howland; 07-08-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Default Re: Llewellyn Howland passed June 21st 2019

All the best of old line New England, kind, wise, accepting, constructively critical. Couldn't ask him a question or talk about a book with out the question, ' Now tell me how you are doing....." Only wish he'd been receiving back in May when I wanted to stop in. Instead a long talk, me sitting overlooking the Essex River and describing the day. Pax Vobiscum Louie, I'll hear that voice as long as I live.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Yes!

Yes to everything Ben said so well, and still more.
    Steve Mack

John- Was he a relation of yours? If so, condolences.

Sadly, the "Orical" has left the Temple! He is now living on Mt. Olympus!
    Jay

Louie was my friend, de facto cousin, as his grandfather was married to my great aunt, and my mentor in all things related to my endless quest for all things to do with my family's yachting endeavors. I will miss his wit, charm and occasional irreverence. It was a pleasure to have had the chance to learn from him. I will continue to learn from him for the rest of my days. Lessons have finite times attached to them, the learning can come at any time. I have a ways to go on that last front. Such was the depth of his knowledge.

Jon

Envision heaven as a large room two stories high, filled book shelves floor to ceiling all around except the windows which are shaded by trees outside such that direct sunlight will not harm the books or the many nautical antiquities, and a central oak table with relevant reference works pushed aside for a stack of blank paper . . .

I'm reading his father's (?) book about 'olden days on Buzzards Bay', "Sou-west and West By Cape Cod". Fun read: http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.p...=9780674499027

I have had no contact with this side of our family. My grandmother spoke about having dinner with Waldo and Katherine Sue when they were young. She said that Waldo was very kind and paid much attention to his lovely bride.
    My father and I use to build small wooden boats together when I was young. Our children never knew not sailing and our son goes with his lovely wife often. I have spent more than my share of time with wood, wind and waves, as my lovely bride of 42 years would most likely agree. I do my best to make it up to her most days.

Quote Originally Posted by John Howland View Post

About 20 years ago when I was fresh out of college and working in a boat shop, I decided one day to visit Louie Howland’s “Bookshop”. Of course I soon learned there was no actual shop, just his stately residence in JP, which I found somehow. I caught him just as he was driving out, but he asked me in for some tea and a chat. I sat there talking boats with him for over two hours and going through the absolutely incredible collection of nautical books he had just in the library (there was a barn full more!). That afternoon has been etched in my brain as one of those special days with a special person. He was so gracious and kind to a punk kid who was essentially trespassing on his property!