Thread: Order of events

Default Order of events

Hello!

I'm brand new to this wooden boat building thing, so apologies if my questions have been asked a 1000 times. I try to use the search as much as possible but I'm stumped here.
    The problem is my plans mention one way to go but I may have read too much (haha) and learned about some processes that my plans/instructions didn't include.

So say I have finished constructing the hull of a boat and I want to apply the following processes to it. What order do these go in?

- Epoxy/Fibreglass
    - Fairing compound
    - Paint or Stain (prime?)

Thank you for the help,
    Carlos

Default Re: Order of events

Hi Carlos, welcome.
    Fiberglass, fair, paint in that order. You might need to fill some parts of the hull before fiberglassing if it is not smooth, but you'll want to smooth the hull again after glassing.
    In that case it would be Fill, Fair, Glass, Fair, Paint.
    What are you building?

Thanks John!

Its a strip planked 17' norwegian pram. From childhood I'd always wanted a sailboat but they're so expensive. So I looked for alternatives and found out people actually build them at home haha. I've been at it a few months already. Mostly when I get home from work.
    pram-side.jpgpram-front.jpg

It was supposed to be a means to an end kind of thing but I'm enjoying the process so much I'm already thinking about doing it again. I'm not a carpenter or a woodworker of any sort but I'm figuring it out. Anyway, I kind of approached it like I do at work. This first one is a prototype. I hope it works out but I've learned so much doing it and have seen so many things I can do better now.

I do appreciate the help and the welcome.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Understand the difference between "fair" and "smooth". Two different things.
    Your boat planked with fir? I see two different colors of wood,even if the same species, the lighter color may sand out differently.
    Also, the boat appears to be "strip built", not "strip planked". And the planks seem a bit too wide to remain stable.
    Thus...The next big job is sanding/fairing.
    If you want the boat to finish off real nice, she will need torture boarding or expert disc sanding,or both.

Yes welcome to the WBF, carlos.mendieta. Glad you are learning to enjoy boatbuilding.
    My approach to fairing the hull is a little different.
    Before you put anything on the hull, fair it with a plane and sanding blocks and electric sanders and fairing longboards first.
    It is the only time you can remove any "high spots" without removing expensive fiberglass or resin or stain.
    If you are clear finishing, you can't really do the "fill and fair" after the glass is on. And staining is done on the faired, bare, wood
    Sanding longboard

My 2 cents, anyway.

Welcome

You want to get that hull as close to perfectly smooth as you have the stomach for before going anywhere near it with fiberglass. After the 'glass is on you'll have to go back and fair in any high spots created by the inevitable overlaps of the cloth as it works around the hull but it will conform to whatever shape is underneath so you want that right.

Wait a bit longer than the manufacturer recommends before that first coat of paint, too soon and you'll end up with a sticky mess.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler