Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanks on The Mall

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: Tanks on The Mall

The Fourth of July is now Trump Day. Another day when this idiot who probably doesn't care of the meaning of the fourth, takes control. Anyone knows that this is just another rally to juice up his supporters with a speech. You also know it won 't be about the founding Fathers but, HIMSELF.

I'm outraged.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Sadly, we don’t expect an appearance from James Garner. I wonder if C. Thomas Howell is free for the weekend.

\"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

sigh. Ok, I'll point out the false equivalencies....

#1 those aren't tanks.
    #2 an inauguration parade is an every-4-years thing that actually IS about the president, not an every-july thing that's supposed to be about something greater.
    The premise is WRONG, Bob!

I assume that the Secret Service remembers what happened to
    Anwar el-Sadat when Anwar stood on the platform to review his troops...

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...or-july-fourth

(I'd link direct to WaPo but it's subscription-only, etc)

Does 45 not remember this guy?
    Dont show this to madonna or rosie....

L'état, C'est Moi!

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    sigh. Ok, I'll point out the false equivalencies....

#1 those aren't tanks.
    #2 an inauguration parade is an every-4-years thing that actually IS about the president, not an every-july thing that's supposed to be about something greater.
    #2The OP never made it about the 4th of July, just tanks on the mall. But now that you have clarified the intent, I'll comment on that.

Anyway, having been enlisted, celebrating or honoring the "troops" usually means a bunch of enlisted and some officers have to get uniforms perfect and go do some stupid sh!t on their day off. The criticism should be of him speaking which is not traditionally done on the 4th mall fireworks event. I am of the opinion that he should never speak, but speaking on the 4th is a particularly bad idea. On the other hand he is going to say some really stupid stuff and two snarky way left blogs I follow are going to have a lot to work with so the Friday news reading will be entertaining.

Points for recognizing the photo

1#Also is it just tanks that trigger everyone? Would it be better if it were missile carriers, armored personnel carriers, or what about the fly over? Hasn't the fly over been happening a while? Let the military have the day off, no fly overs either.
    Cheers,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

Trigger tanks? I would like hot air balloons and the afore mentioned confetti cannons.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    #2The OP never made it about the 4th of July, just tanks on the mall. But now that you have clarified the intent, I'll comment on that.

Anyway, having been enlisted, celebrating or honoring the "troops" usually means a bunch of enlisted and some officers have to get uniforms perfect and go do some stupid sh!t on their day off. The criticism should be of him speaking which is not traditionally done on the 4th mall fireworks event. I am of the opinion that he should never speak, but speaking on the 4th is a particularly bad idea. On the other hand he is going to say some really stupid stuff and two snarky way left blogs I follow are going to have a lot to work with so the Friday news reading will be entertaining.

1#Also is it just tanks that trigger everyone? Would it be better if it were missile carriers, armored personnel carriers, or what about the fly over? Hasn't the fly over been happening a while? Let the military have the day off, no fly overs either.
    Cheers,
    I suspect he tried to get them but, even the Pentagon said enough was enough! Too expensive if nothing else. Not that expense is concerned with cost, it ain't HIS money!

Seems he ought to be able to correctly name the tanks before he gets them.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Maybe we'll get some Professor Peabody tanks too!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The Proud Boys have announced they will piggyback a demonstration off this charade.

Fireworks in the streets, perhaps.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

The Proud Boys are going to demonstrate the 4th of July?
    Nosce te ipsum

The Reichtag fire could be translated and reprised for a new generation. Since Trump will have his blackshirts there anyway ...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

It's part of the trade policy debate:

FWIW, the tank used in this commercial was privately-owned, sat parked on the street for years near a local dive bar in Detroit known as the Polish Yacht Club. That was before the open carry laws were passed.

Not that the current administration is really this smart but, for everyone of the proud boys there are usually 10 counter protesters. Trump will use the increased numbers and count the counter protesters as supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Why?

I'll name that one "Bobby," and that one "Big Red." And that cute little firecracker with the blonde camo and the surprisingly oversized guns will be "Playmate."
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Jackie's outfit was the dead-giveaway.
    The premise is WRONG, Bob!

Not that the current administration is really this smart but, for everyone of the proud boys there are usually 10 counter protesters. Trump will use the increased numbers and count the counter protesters as supporters.
    The press will label the military as.. milita...

Let the military have the day off, no fly overs either.
    + 1
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    + 1
    BBQ, water fountains, music, fireworks, flags, model boat races, a parade, an anthem or two. Maybe a reenactment but leave the modern tools of hegemonic war out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    BBQ, water fountains, music, fireworks, flags, model boat races, a parade, an anthem or two. Maybe a reenactment but leave the modern tools of hegemonic war out of it.
    For sure. Every past war was problematic in some respect, and it's in very bad taste to celebrate wars to come. Just leave out the chest thumping and pee pee measuring altogether. Who needs it? Have it be about peace and liberty.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

All Southern Tank crews would be nice in DC.

Is he planning on featuring The new Willy's Jeep too.

Am I wrong in recalling that Washington, DC is essentially an aviation 'no-fly' zone ( restricted airspace) - I wonder what it takes to authorize low-level flyover there.

Rick

Park entry fees helping to pay for Trump/RNC seating

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.0f17307e6ea6

By Juliet Eilperin ,
    Josh Dawsey and
    Dan Lamothe
    July 2 at 9:39 PM
    The National Park Service is diverting nearly $2.5 million in entrance and recreation fees primarily intended to improve parks across the country to cover costs associated with President Trump’s Independence Day celebration Thursday on the Mall, according to two individuals familiar with the arrangement.
    For Trump’s planned speech at the Lincoln Memorial, the White House is distributing VIP tickets to Republican donors and political appointees, prompting objections from Democratic lawmakers who argue that the president has turned the annual celebration into a campaign-like event.

The Republican National Committee and Trump’s reelection campaign confirmed Tuesday that they had received passes they were handing out for the event.
    While the White House has hosted limited tours for years, this year’s gathering on the Mall marks a departure because presidents have not traditionally participated in the nation’s Independence Day celebration.

Brendan Fischer, federal reform director for the Campaign Legal Center, said in an interview that while it may not violate federal ethics law to distribute limited tickets to the president’s speech to party contributors, “it certainly looks bad.”

“Limiting public access to a public monument on Independence Day in favor of wealthy donors just sends a signal that our political system favors the wealthy and well-connected,” he said.

drip drip

"A republic, if you can keep it………."

There really needs to be corporate MIC marching bands and baton twirlers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.6bc08e4744b8

Here is how the president described his plan in a February tweet: “HOLD THE DATE! We will be having one of the biggest gatherings in the history of Washington, D.C., on July 4th. It will be called ‘A Salute To America’ and will be held at the Lincoln Memorial. Major fireworks display, entertainment and an address by your favorite President, me!”

If there was even a glimmer of doubt that Trump intended to inject politics into this most egalitarian and nonpartisan of holidays, it was erased when he decided to set up a special section of reserved VIP seating to stretch from the steps of the memorial to the halfway point of the reflecting pool. Some of the tickets are being handed out by the Republican National Committee.
    So how do presidents normally spend the Fourth of July? Or perhaps that question should be: How do normal presidents spend the Fourth of July?

Mostly, the modern ones have kicked back like the rest of us do. The South Lawn of the White House is a particularly nice vantage point for the fireworks display over the Mall.

Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama also marked the occasion by attending naturalization ceremonies.

“Throughout our history, the words of the declaration have inspired immigrants from around the world to set sail to our shores,” Bush said at the one he attended in 2008 at Monticello. “These immigrants have helped transform 13 small colonies into a great and growing nation.”

Great. There it was. That word again. And nary a tank in sight.

If he turns it into a campaign rally, I think his campaign should pay for it, not the parks service. DC Is still owed 7 million from the federal government for his inauguration, I'm sure this will rack up a bigger bill than their normal 4th costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    In the bible in 2nd Thessalonians there is a story about a man like this.
    This gets me wondering, will the evangelicals abandon bone spurs or crucify Christ on the second coming?

Our resident trumper here at work thinks the ranks are a great idea. He also can't figure out why the president doesn't use the special forces to "take out" the worst criminals
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Well there's a thought. Duterte as an advisor to the justice department. Privatise the military parade he wants by getting Kimmy to set one up. Plenty of tanks, rocket launchers, marching girls and boys and a well trained crowd. Just change the colours and the flags for the day, or he could have one every month. donald is quite at home there. Borrow the money on the WH credit card from Vlad to pay for it all.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Trigger tanks? I would like hot air balloons and the afore mentioned confetti cannons.
    A formation flight of hot air balloons with a hotdog drop over the mall. fox would play it every year until the apocalypse.