• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpatrick
    Measures twice/Cuts twice
    • Jun 2010

Re: Which method to cut bronze pipe?

Originally posted by ron ll
    As we found with the mast, it won’t be bright long, which is good. The sooner dark the better. I suppose I could piss on them to hurry it up, but that might take a lot of beer.
    Better get started then.

Jeff

Comment

• Plyboy
      • May 2016

Rubbing my glass fishing float, peering into the clouds, seeing next months posting "How do I get these green stains off my nice white gunwhales, deck and sides???"
      2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Comment

• willmarsh3
        • Sep 2004

Voila! Now for some new paint on the cap rails. This project took just about three times the amount of time I estimated which I think is exactly the formula for estimating boat work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41135[/ATTACH]
        That looks awesome!

Originally posted by Garret
        So - where can I get a hacksaw that'll make sawdust from bronze pipe?

Sorry it was there. A modern solid hacksaw is completely different tool from the old wobbly ones.
        LOL!

I think Denise suggested a pipe cutter (like a big tubing cutter). I did try it, however the only one I could find was at Harbor Freight. I did buy it because it was cheap, but I paid way too much. It only succeeded in making a nice spiral groove around the pipe and there was absolutely no way to adjust the tracking. Totally worthless. However I’m sure a quality tool from somewhere else would have been fine. But when I realized how easy the hacksaw was, I quit experimenting.
        That's pretty bad but I'm not real surprised given where you got it. It must have been a reject from quality control that they were trying to liquidate. The tube cutter and pipe cutter I have work well. Everything is lined up so it doesn't produce a spiral groove. However, that could be used to create interesting effects but that will be for another thread and another time.
        Will

Comment

• ron ll
          Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
          • Oct 2005

When I (stupidly) bought the pipe cutter at Harbor Freight, there were four on the shelf. All four boxes had been opened, which should have been my first clue that they don’t work. It was only 16 bucks, which should have been my second clue.

Comment

• willmarsh3
            • Sep 2004

I had that same experience with a special wrench for replacing faucet washers. The one I bought in a big box store had tape. When I tried to use it, it turned out the metal was too thin so it distorted. I returned it. I went to a local hardware store that is, well, more connected to the local community and got a faucet wrench made of thicker metal.

Another red flag is if they have a large stack of neat looking tools such as a jigsaw stacked up with a big "on sale" sign. I bought one and it turned out to be a piece of junk.
            Will

Comment

• Garret
              Hills of Vermont
              • Apr 2005

I had an excavator here today (barn slab) & he had a 5 lb. 12" handle hammer for pounding stakes. $5 @ Harbor freight. As he put it: "I've lost a bunch of these on sites over the years - so this is perfect. Thing is, I've had it longer than any of the others"

Life's like that.
              "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• ron ll
                Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Garret
                So - where can I get a hacksaw that'll make sawdust from bronze pipe?
                Speaking if picking nits, it occurs to me that the word sawdust has no reference to wood.

Comment

• Garret
                  Hills of Vermont
                  • Apr 2005

Speaking of picking nits, it occurs to me that the word sawdust has no reference to wood.
                  Yaknow, I though of that after I made my wisecrack - but it still got the desired response.

So there!
                  "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

Working...