Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new Raidboat and Cruising Dinghy Design for the Home Builder

Wilhelmshaven, Northwest Germany, Jade Bay at the North Sea Coast

Default Re: A new Raidboat and Cruising Dinghy Design for the Home Builder

Hello Alan,

a Windmill is not a common class in my area and I didn't sailed one, so I can not say anything about it. If driving the bow under is a well known fault of the design you cannot do much agaist it. Simply adding volume will not automatically fix the problem. There are more design details that must be balanced against each other to produce a well performing dinghy.

Hello Everybody!

Meanwhile I started making a model of spiral round no.4, to see how the hull looks in real life.
    Looking good so far, but Iam not sure about the inverted bow any more. Looks a little odd. What do you think???

008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

Have Fun! Michel

I am following this thread with great interest and looking forward to see how this project progress. What you are designing, is more or less exactly what I am looking for, although I am looking for something where two could sleep ideally.
    Keep the thread going with updates on your progress.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Narum; 09-22-2019 at 04:27 AM.

luckystrike118,

Great to see a boatphile sharing their thinking and progress - thanks.

I'm late to your thread, so maybe this has been covered, but...

Curious what your current working target is for the cruising payload (not counting mast/sails/lines) ? Assuming how may passengers? .. how many days of stores?

Have you any estimates for the total boat weight? What weight per sheet ar eyou assuming for the ply sheets? Are they 4x8? .. 5x10?

Kepp it up.
    Tom

Wilhelmshaven, Northwest Germany, Jade Bay at the North Sea Coast

Hello Folks,

sorry, Iam very buisy in the real world at this time and I will be so the next week. So no progress in the moment. But I will post some data about payloads, passengers and so on next week, as well as Spiral No. 5 which is also in the making.

So, stay tuned and have fun, Michel

I too am interested in what you are working on. A 2+ person raid boat, self bailing cockpit, large enough to sleep in under a tarp, dry storage for camping gear, and of course sporty performance! Oars or human power would be a nice option, though I also have tidal currents above 5kts, so it's probably not very realistic. I do like your simple modern lines and a quick/low cost build would be great. Easy! How come this doesn't exist already?

Other designs that might be similar or inspirational:
    Welsford AWOL
    Barefoot Boats Dick Smiley
    Skate 15
    Lili 6.1
    Coresound 17

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by luckystrike118 View Post
    Hello Alan,

a Windmill is not a common class in my area and I didn't sailed one, so I can not say anything about it. If driving the bow under is a well known fault of the design you cannot do much agaist it. Simply adding volume will not automatically fix the problem. There are more design details that must be balanced against each other to produce a well performing dinghy.

The Windmill has been a popular racing dinghy for many decades now. However, the boat is narrow and has a very large sailplan. It also needs crew that realize that to drive the boat fast, downwind, they need to move crew weight, aft.

We didn't know that at the time.

I think that the Windmill is a good design. The 2,000 - plus boats built to the design suggest that Clark Mills did something right... it's just not exactly what YOU want. So carry on!