Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new Raidboat and Cruising Dinghy Design for the Home Builder

Wilhelmshaven, Northwest Germany, Jade Bay at the North Sea Coast

Default Re: A new Raidboat and Cruising Dinghy Design for the Home Builder

Hello Alan,

a Windmill is not a common class in my area and I didn't sailed one, so I can not say anything about it. If driving the bow under is a well known fault of the design you cannot do much agaist it. Simply adding volume will not automatically fix the problem. There are more design details that must be balanced against each other to produce a well performing dinghy.

Hello Everybody!

Meanwhile I started making a model of spiral round no.4, to see how the hull looks in real life.
    Looking good so far, but Iam not sure about the inverted bow any more. Looks a little odd. What do you think???

008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

Have Fun! Michel

I am following this thread with great interest and looking forward to see how this project progress. What you are designing, is more or less exactly what I am looking for, although I am looking for something where two could sleep ideally.
    Keep the thread going with updates on your progress.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Narum; 09-22-2019 at 04:27 AM.

luckystrike118,

Great to see a boatphile sharing their thinking and progress - thanks.

I'm late to your thread, so maybe this has been covered, but...

Curious what your current working target is for the cruising payload (not counting mast/sails/lines) ? Assuming how may passengers? .. how many days of stores?

Have you any estimates for the total boat weight? What weight per sheet ar eyou assuming for the ply sheets? Are they 4x8? .. 5x10?

Kepp it up.
    Tom

Hello Folks,

sorry, Iam very buisy in the real world at this time and I will be so the next week. So no progress in the moment. But I will post some data about payloads, passengers and so on next week, as well as Spiral No. 5 which is also in the making.

So, stay tuned and have fun, Michel

I too am interested in what you are working on. A 2+ person raid boat, self bailing cockpit, large enough to sleep in under a tarp, dry storage for camping gear, and of course sporty performance! Oars or human power would be a nice option, though I also have tidal currents above 5kts, so it's probably not very realistic. I do like your simple modern lines and a quick/low cost build would be great. Easy! How come this doesn't exist already?

Other designs that might be similar or inspirational:
    Welsford AWOL
    Barefoot Boats Dick Smiley
    Skate 15
    Lili 6.1
    Coresound 17

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by luckystrike118 View Post
    Hello Alan,

a Windmill is not a common class in my area and I didn't sailed one, so I can not say anything about it. If driving the bow under is a well known fault of the design you cannot do much agaist it. Simply adding volume will not automatically fix the problem. There are more design details that must be balanced against each other to produce a well performing dinghy.

The Windmill has been a popular racing dinghy for many decades now. However, the boat is narrow and has a very large sailplan. It also needs crew that realize that to drive the boat fast, downwind, they need to move crew weight, aft.

We didn't know that at the time.

I think that the Windmill is a good design. The 2,000 - plus boats built to the design suggest that Clark Mills did something right... it's just not exactly what YOU want. So carry on!

Default Windmill Design

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    I think that the Windmill is a good design. The 2,000 - plus boats built to the design suggest that Clark Mills did something right... it's just not exactly what YOU want. So carry on!
    Took a closer look at the Windmill design. It seems to be a very able boat. It reminds me at the german Pirat Cass Dinghy, which is (typically german) on the heavy side of boat design. But the Windmill is quite lightwheight. It lacks the double bottom and the standard interior is not cruising like. Seats, floorboards etc should be altered to have space for sleeping.

Have fun, Michel

Default Hello Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom151 View Post
    luckystrike118,

Great to see a boatphile sharing their thinking and progress - thanks.

Curious what your current working target is for the cruising payload (not counting mast/sails/lines) ? Assuming how may passengers? .. how many days of stores?

Have you any estimates for the total boat weight? What weight per sheet ar eyou assuming for the ply sheets? Are they 4x8? .. 5x10?
    Hello Tom,

you are welcome!

I start with:
    Basic dimensions: 4,6m, 1,52m, 90kg, 9.5m² (10m² for lightwind areas), two reefs.

Total boat wheight (empty, ready to sail incl. rig, board and rudder) will be at 80 - 95kg. Displacement is specified at 260kg with 10cm draft and up to 340kg max. at 12cm (and the "corners" of the bottom still airbourne) . So you have a payload of 160kg to 200kg (and a little more for daysailing). Keep it light!!! A heavy boat will not sail well and do not plane anymore.

So, there is no wheight issue for a crew of two and a kid daysailing. Cockpit space is generous because you can sit on the raised floor forward. Cruising is for a singlehander and stores for a week.

Construction: 6mm Marine Grade Okume Plywood gives a robust and light boat, a fibreglass sheeting is structurally not nessesary, 4oz. will make it bullit proof. Has somebody accesss to Paulownia ( Kiri) plywood???

The boat is designed to take advantage of 4' x 8' panels. You will need 7 - 8 panels to build this boat. Okume Marine plywood (other names: Gaboon, African Mahagonie) wheigh in at 500 - 550kg/m³, so one panel will be at 9 - 10kg/panel.

Lumber: Use softwood with a density of no more than 500kg/m³ (fir, pine, hoop pine or whatever is cheap, straight and knot free in your region of the world. Paulownia and Western Red Cedar are welcome for a lighter boat if you can afford it.

Have Fun, Michel
    Last edited by luckystrike118; 10-24-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: correction

Default Re: Windmill Design

Took a closer look at the Windmill design. It seems to be a very able boat. It reminds me at the german Pirat Cass Dinghy, which is (typically german) on the heavy side of boat design. But the Windmill is quite lightwheight. It lacks the double bottom and the standard interior is not cruising like. Seats, floorboards etc should be altered to have space for sleeping.

Have fun, Michel
    A Windmill is not, nor is it intended to be, a cruising boat, so shortcomings in its cruising accommodation is nonsense. What a Windmill is, is the best 15.5 foot racing sailboat that can be built to competition level easily by a home builder. As a 60 year old design often constrained by Class rules, it does not have some of the modern features that are thought necessary for fast boats. Having the bow of a sharp ended racing boat go underwater is not a failure of the boat but a failure of the sailor. Plus, that is the way to get upwind fastest, if wetter, for some sailors.

Very nice looking boat built by the OP. I have some personal likes and dislikes though. I really dislike a non-boom mainsail with aft mainsheet. Doesn't set well downwind and is much harder to adjust.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 10-24-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    Tom L

Default Design name Jade Bay Skiff, Tom and the two crew cruising dinghy, News Spiral No.5,

Hello (the other) Tom and Hello Everybody!

I finally found a good name for the design. After my home waters in Northern Germany my cruising dinghy design will be called "Jade Bay Skiff"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Makes Things View Post
    I too am interested in what you are working on. A 2+ person raid boat, self bailing cockpit, large enough to sleep in under a tarp, dry storage for camping gear, and of course sporty performance! Oars or human power would be a nice option, .... .... I do like your simple modern lines and a quick/low cost build would be great. Easy! How come this doesn't exist already?
    -Tom

How come this doesn't exist already?

Cruising Dinghy design is not very high on the designers priority list. It needs a lot of recherche to identify the needs for this special purposefor a very limited number of sailors interested. Many of them are happy with their proven designs.Every Designer tries to create something that is new and takes care of his preferances. Mine are the self bailing double bottom as a feature for safety in the case of capsize, the light displacement allowing a big degree of performance and speed while daysailing , the simple and fast amateur constructon and the cheap materials and equipment.

Many sailors go cruising with their 2000 times proven cruising dinghys (for example Windmill, Wayfarer, Pirat, Zugvogel and so on) and are happy with them. Other sailors build a "simple as can be boat" (GIS) and go cruising with it and are happy with it. Its all ok until you can live with the shortcomings of your design. Bailing out a ton of water after capsize or sitting on a 5cm wide rail for hours of sailing are not funny for me. I want to know what happens if Roger Barnes from Youtube capsises his heavy dinghy and has to bail out this brick. Can he do it or must he call for rescue?

The Two Crew Cruising Dinghy:
    I startet a product concept catalogue for a two crew dinghy and came up with a needed payload of around 250 - 300kg, meaning a displacement of 380 - 450kg. . Thats a lot of boat!!! But I think it can be done. Following the same concept as the singlehander it will be 5,40m long and around 1,70m wide. I will squeeze every cm out of the plywood panels so that it can be built from 10 panels of ply. Sleeping will be side by side in the aft cockpit with a width of around 1,30m and 2,40 length.

Spiral No.5
    The reverse bow
    is gone in favor for a plumb bow. On paper or computer the reverse was nice but I didn't liked it at the model. A monohull is too fat for this.

Design of the Hull is finished:
    The actual shape and the structure of the hull is finished, it will be built the "Sitch and Glue" way with the help of 5 bulkheads, transom and stem. See attachments: No, the mast is not at the right position.

It's time for the hardest part of boat design. Devellop the construction / building plans.

007.jpg 002.jpg

Please Note! The attachments are distorted and not suitable for construction!

Have Fun, Michel

Hi Michael!

Did you specify how much water ballast the Jade bay will carry?

Thanks for sharing your design progress!
    Ragnar B.

Hi Ragnar,

a central watertank is formed by the structure under the double bottom just behind the daggerboard case. It carries 50 litres and is operated via a standard inspection hatch. Left and right of the tank are stores for heavy items you do not use every day (freshwater in 1.5 litre PET's, tools etc). Access is trough hatches on the upper deck beside the daggerboard case. Left and right of the daggerboard are fixed places for anchor with rope and chain and optional battery. All together you have around 70 kg fixed "ballast" that will help in a capsize and will calm down the light boat in stronger winds.

Have Fun, Michel

Default Re: Windmill Design

To Tom Lathrop,

I agree completely with your Windmill statement.

Michel

Looks like this will be mostly a flat water boat? With the large flat bottom panel?

Quote Originally Posted by James from NZ View Post
    Looks like this will be mostly a flat water boat? With the large flat bottom panel?
    James,

what do you expect from a cruising dinghy??? I think it can be sailed in rough waters with waves about half a metre high. Freeboard is generous and should keep the skipper quite protected from spray.
    It is the usual thinking that a flat bottom will pound in waves. But the opposite is right. Pounding occours only when sailing upwind but here the flat bottom is sailed with a little heeling, so that the chine will form a V to the waves and digging in smoothly. The same dicussion is held about the Goat Isand Skiff (another well known flat bottom skiff) at the moment. Find the results on the Storer website.

Have fun, Michel

James,

what do you expect from a cruising dinghy??? I think it can be sailed in rough waters with waves about half a metre high. Freeboard is generous and should keep the skipper quite protected from spray.
    It is the usual thinking that a flat bottom will pound in waves. But the opposite is right. Pounding occours only when sailing upwind but here the flat bottom is sailed with a little heeling, so that the chine will form a V to the waves and digging in smoothly. The same dicussion is held about the Goat Isand Skiff (another well known flat bottom skiff) at the moment. Find the results on the Storer website.

Have fun, Michel
    Storer's Goat Island Skiff is probably his ticket into sailing promised land. Like Clark Mill's Optimist Pram and Windmill, no greater praise can be said of any designer. Simple, simply rigged, easily built, inexpensive and a great sailing boat for those who can get get the best performance that Mik designed into it. Definitely not a cruising boat although the best sailors can cruise anything that will float and the GIS has done some impressive things like crossing Scotland by water.
    Tom L

Hello Tom

You are right, the GIS is wonderful boat and was a starting point for my own design. I tried to keep the good points of the GIS and tried to improve the drawbacks. This is of course beside the styling of the boat, I gave my design a modern look.

A similar concept already exists...http://www.maderski.pl/pasja-400,-401.html

I struggle to see how that centreboard position can't result in significant weather helm.

I believe the design would have changed if there was a problem^ that does not seem to be the case.....

Many other craft have been alleged to have significant issues, but have not had their design changed as a result, or had the design changed only after many years. If the designers of other craft can ignore issues, why not this designer? I've owned two boats that were known to have significant helm issues that were not solved for decades after their initial design, so why could this boat not be the same?

Hello Tom

You are right, the GIS is wonderful boat and was a starting point for my own design. I tried to keep the good points of the GIS and tried to improve the drawbacks. This is of course beside the styling of the boat, I gave my design a modern look.
    Designing is fraught with surprises that bite those who have less experience with things not considered. There have been comments about rescuing from a capsize. One thing that has proven to be a handicap when originally included as a safety feature is a double bottom like you have placed on your proposal. A boat with a double bottom is extremely stable upside down and can be difficult to bring right side up. Its a question of where the buoyancy is placed and the bottom is not a good place for it. Some boats originally designed with a double bottom have been redesigned or rebuilt to eliminate it for the reason given. Racers capsize fairly often and discover such faults early. A day sailor may not find out this problem until it's too late.

Buoyancy should be placed high in the boat so the boat is not stable upside down. The simplest method is to have side tanks that both have high buoyancy and a comfortable place for the crew to sit and move about on. Windmill and some others are built this way. Such boats have proven capable and safe over many years and capsizes when righted properly. A very few new designs have buoyancy high along the centerline engineered to make the boat safe and relatively easy to right if capsized. Downside of this design may be more expense and greater difficulty to build plus requiring more of an expert to design it.
    Tom L

On the other hand, on the Yachts and Yachting forum (for example) there are many posts from people who dislike boats with side tanks because they can float so high when horizontal that it's difficult for some people to reach the centreboard. Frank Bethwaite designed the Tasar with side tanks because he wanted it to invert quickly so that it would not blow away from the crew.

The Hadron H2 design by the very experienced Keith Callaghan is an example of a boat that has no side tanks, specifically so that it sits low when capsized. https://hadrondinghy.com/about/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    On the other hand, on the Yachts and Yachting forum (for example) there are many posts from people who dislike boats with side tanks because they can float so high when horizontal that it's difficult for some people to reach the centreboard. Frank Bethwaite designed the Tasar with side tanks because he wanted it to invert quickly so that it would not blow away from the crew.

The Hadron H2 design by the very experienced Keith Callaghan is an example of a boat that has no side tanks, specifically so that it sits low when capsized. https://hadrondinghy.com/about/
    Yes Chris, the Hadron H2 is one of the new designs that I referred to. I would not argue with Frank Baithwaite although many years of sailing and experience seeing other people recover capsized boats gives quite a bit of perspective. Of course, much depends on the actions of the sailor no matter what the design. Too many people never do a capsize drill and are not well prepared, regardless of the design.

Many of the drills seen on youtube or in person are done in calm conditions and not a realistic view of actual conditions. My first capsize was in a bad storm 55 years ago with over a hundred other racing boats and my Windmill did not have any flotation other than the wood. Flotation of any kind was a rare feature in those days. I became hypothermic and rescued separate from the boat which was towed on its side a couple miles with damage. New and inexperienced sailor then and the learning curve, although very steep, was very effective and rapidly studied and negotiated such that capsizes became a normal part of racing to win. All small boat flotation must be properly designed, no matter the method employed and all small sailboats should have it for safety..
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Many other craft have been alleged to have significant issues, but have not had their design changed as a result, or had the design changed only after many years. If the designers of other craft can ignore issues, why not this designer? I've owned two boats that were known to have significant helm issues that were not solved for decades after their initial design, so why could this boat not be the same?
    You can satisfy your own questions by a simple email to the designer.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I believe the design would have changed if there was a problem^ that does not seem to be the case.....
    I agree with Chris on this issue and think that some designers don't take the time or bother to follow up on cock up, some of which are pretty egregious. The forward centerboard on this illustration seem to be very wrong compared to any decently performing boat I know of, but we don't know what we don't know..
    Tom L

Hello,

first of all ... please do not compare my design with this scary dinghy from Poland. Everybody who can read drawings will tell you that this thing will not sail well. Centreboard position, as mentioned ... relations of bottom width to length ... volume / flotation distribution ... this boat will not work properly!

I spend my whole youth on 420, 470 and 505, so I know the bevior of side tank boats. I can surely say ... for a cruising boat sidetanks are a bad idea. Without crew they will float high and capsise beyond 180° to 190° (or so). With that angle there is a force that pushes the rig under water.

As far as design goes I prefer the solution with the double bottom that allows the hull to sink in and get closer to the 180° position. Advantages are that it is easier to reach the board from swimming, and to have a empty boat after re-righting. Anyway, around 100kg waterballast and heavy stores, fixed deep in the hull will help to prevent a capsize.

Anyway, every crusing dinghy should have some bouyancy in the rig to prevent a flip to 180°. Either from a watertight mast (like the beach cats) and yard or from a self inflating bag in the rig.

Have Fun, Michel
    Last edited by luckystrike118; 07-01-2020 at 06:04 AM. Reason: correction

Sorry, I made some mistakes in my last post #62. Please read and please pay your attention to the following...

Hello,

first of all ... please do not compare my design with this scary dinghy from Poland. This concept is not similar to my Jade Bay Skiff. Everybody who can read drawings will tell you that this boat will not sail well. Centreboard position, as mentioned ... relations of bottom width to length ... volume / flotation distribution ... this boat will not work properly!

I spend my whole youth on 420, 470 and 505, so I know the bevior of side tank boats. I can surely say ... for a cruising boat sidetanks are a bad idea. Without crew they will float high and capsise beyond 90° to 105° (or so). With that angle there is a force from the overhanging hull that pushes the rig under water.

As far as design goes I prefer the solution with the double bottom that allows the hull to sink in and get closer to the 90° position. Advantages are that it is easier to reach the board from swimming, and to have a empty boat after re-righting. Anyway, around 100kg waterballast and heavy stores, fixed deep in the hull will help to prevent a capsize.

Anyway, every crusing dinghy should have some bouyancy in the rig to prevent a flip to 180°. Either from a watertight mast (like the beach cats) and yard or from a self inflating bag in the rig.

Have Fun, Michel

Drawn up many single handed, occasional crew, cruising boats and always come up with the same issue where to but the board if you’re to sleep in the bottom. The Polish boat puts it far forward which is neat but unless they have a massive rudder, is not going to sail well as others have pointed out. You could go for a cat rig or balanced lug with the mast well forward. I always came down to putting the board over to one side which gives room but then on one capsized tack puts the board very high up for righting.

For a boat where capsizes are going to be rare is a double bottom worth all the effort and weight?

Though the flat bottom skiff shape is simple it has a high wetted surface area, will have a relatively big sail area and poor relatively performance in light airs and rowing. Personally I’d be adding an extra chine to get the waterline narrower.

http://tinkboats.com

"Planing hulls? I like wide sterns, but do have more rocker in the after bottom than is usual. That does limit the ultimate speed but tends to get them up on the plane earlier. Its a "horses for courses" thing, and when drawing a cruising dinghy I'm generally aiming for a top end speed length ratio of around 2.25 Much higher than that and the shape starts to change again" (John Welsford)

E x a c t l y

i completely agree

--

Luckystrike, thanks for the thread

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post

For a boat where capsizes are going to be rare is a double bottom worth all the effort and weight?

Though the flat bottom skiff shape is simple it has a high wetted surface area, will have a relatively big sail area and poor relatively performance in light airs and rowing. Personally I’d be adding an extra chine to get the waterline narrower.

http://tinkboats.com
    Hello Tink,
    thank you for your post, I like the way you design your boats and your efforts building them. I'am a proa dude too

... is the double bottom worth the effort???

I think yes it is!
    1. The double bottom makes the boat self bailing while sailing in rough conditiones as well as after capsizing.
    2. It houses the water ballast tank aft of the daggerboard trunk. Forward, where the double bottom is raised to 30+cm height, it forms the watertight storage compartment.
    3. Wheight and building effort is not so much more. If you want to sleep directly on the flat bottom, you will have to have some floor boards or otherwise you will have a wet sleeping bag as soon as your boom tent will let some drips of rainwater through. Again, selfdraining is a advantage. Building floorboards ( a must for your proposed V-Bottom) will add wheight and effort too.

My Jade Bay Skiff has already a very narrow bottom and waterline (1,15m) to keep wetted surface small. This, combined with light displacement is very important in performant sharpie design. Adding a V-Bottom and making it even more narrower would result is a very tipping boat..

Have fun, Michel

Centerboard and Daggerboard

Tink,
    I think a offset centerboard is a viable option if you Boat is designed to sink in during a capsise. The 20 or 30 cn offset will be not critical to grab when you are swimming next to the boat.

I have choosen a daggerboard for my Jade Bay Skiff, mostly because it is easy to build and the lightest possible solution, beside lowest resistance due to turblence in the centerboard case. Doesn't need space in the cockpit. Anyway, a kick-up centerboard is superior if you are sailing in large flat water aereas.

Have Fun, Michel

first of all ... please do not compare my design with this scary dinghy from Poland. This concept is not similar to my Jade Bay Skiff. Everybody who can read drawings will tell you that this boat will not sail well. Centreboard position, as mentioned ... relations of bottom width to length ... volume / flotation distribution ... this boat will not work properly!

Compared to what? It is what it is. How many people have complained about Bolgers Cartopper not "working properly"? It was not a comparison, these boat are apples and oranges and should be accepted as such.

Skaraborg Craft,

I said that my Design shall not be compared to the Polish Dinghy, because the concepts are different to each other. Just having a flat bottom does not justify for a similar concept.

I cannot say something to the abilities of Bolger Designs, because I have no interest in Designs 30 or 40 years old. There has been made some progress since then.

Have fun, Michel

Skaraborg Craft,

I said that my Design shall not be compared to the Polish Dinghy, because the concepts are different to each other. Just having a flat bottom does not justify for a similar concept.

I cannot say something to the abilities of Bolger Designs, because I have no interest in Designs 30 or 40 years old. There has been made some progress since then.

Have fun, Michel