Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: favorite stove

Default favorite stove

Whats your favorite stove? Looking at an old sloop with an old pressure alchohol stove. Would have to replace it. Its just a cooktop flush mounted in the counter. Id be inclined to replace with propane. Lots of boats with Origo alchohol stoves but Im not familar with them.
    Thanks.

Default Re: favorite stove

Adding propane is not the easiest thing to do. The tank has to be in a location that cannot vent into the boat. Having the space for a tank and building that type of compartment don't necessarily coincide.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Primus/Optimus
    But I'm a dinosaur that way.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Adding propane is not the easiest thing to do. The tank has to be in a location that cannot vent into the boat. Having the space for a tank and building that type of compartment don't necessarily coincide.
    There is a locker that could be sequestered and made to vent directly out of the boat. Enough room for a 3 pound can. Im not concerned about the logistics, Im interested in stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Primus/Optimus
    Yeah but youve cruised 80 billion miles so your opinion is more than a little worthwhile.
    So, why? Dependability, repairability? Just cuz?

My wife hated our Optimus Stove as the necessary alcohol priming caused a large amount of painful eye and nose irritation for her. So, I did some extensive research into boat stoves a few years ago. The Canadian Force Ten stoves came out the winners as they offer several different options which include cook tops and multi burner ranges that have the added feature of an oven.
    Force Ten makes stoves in electric, propane as well as compressed natureal gas. We opted for CNG as it is lighter than air and allows bottle storage to be located in a greater variety of places. Where to locate the gas bottles on the boat is very important as the CNG gas will go up and out the hatch rather than settling in the bilge with the potential threat of explosion as with propane! They also make a tiny Euro Stove that has an oven as well and can be gimbled.
    Jay
    http://www.force10.com/
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-28-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Primus/Optimus
    Got a pic?

I have a couple of identical old pump up stoves, salvaged from my grandfather.... they had tags on them saying 'serviced 1953'. I have the new gaskets and NRVs, but not fitted yet. I've been having rude thoughts about gimbals etc... but if there are footprints in the sand I might be willing to follow.

Remember that a propane locker doesn't need to, " vent." It needs to drain. So the bottom must be above waterline.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

This one is on my little boat, it has the "roarer " burner, No control other than adding and releasing pressure. It makes a lotta noise, thus they call it roarer.

This is the one that is on Woodwind now. A bit more modern "silent "burners. Pricker built into the mechanism, one controls the flame with an actual knob.
    My gimbal is just plywood.horrors!

I had a "510" about 30 years ago. My young son.I still carry this one as a spare .

I have used a couple of the Primus/Optimus versions, I had a big 3 burner and oven with a remote pressure tank which was self pricking. I have used several single burner brass versions, some being self pricking and some were not. I have a soft spot in my being for those stoves and have mine ( single burner, brass) still as a spare. I like the relatively indestructible character of these stoves and the fact that they are almost unchanged since forever. The problem for me is filling the tank in a seaway.

I have used the Origo many years ago and liked it very much. Same filling problem...at least for the one that I used.

My main cooking stove today on Whimbrel is a single burner sea swing, propane. I like using this stove, I like the ease of changing fuel bottles. I dislike the bottles being disposable.

This one is on my little boat, it has the "roarer " burner, No control other than adding and releasing pressure. It makes a lotta noise, thus they call it roarer.
    Thanks Bruce...I'm thinking about making a gimalled double burner out of my two. Like I have enough to do to get her launched anyway....

I'm considering extra batteries and a hot plate, either 12 volt or 120 with an inverter.

As I have mentioned before, I run my stoves on mineral spirits/white spirit/paint thinner.
    It burns cleaner, (no soot), lights easier(less alcohol) and is universally available.
    When we lived aboard full time, we had a big 3 burner with oven jobbie, A Hillerrange .Eventually a top burner was open a small bit ,fuel leaked out overnight, it got into the fiberglass oven insulation. In the morning, pre heating for coffee, the insulation caught fire. That is the only serious fire we had aboard. I pitched that lot into the sea. We do not need an oven anymore.
    Thing is with these old stoves, I do not think they are even made anymore. I troll swap meets, used gear places. I'll buy a stove, cannabalize a few parts and pitch it. Now, I have enough parts for a long time,but ya gotta make an effort to get it/them .
    True, the pre heat alcohol sends some people into a tizz. My Dad was that way.
    And the alcohol pre heat scares some people, it can make a big lazy flame that gets the whole area sizzling. It is enough heat to boil one cup of water usually.
    For back up, one can use a dab of "Sterno" or a flame from a propane torch.
    The alcohol I use ,from French islands, smalls like french rum )rhum agricole), so it's not quite as sharp as storebought
    marine
    fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    I'm considering extra batteries and a hot plate, either 12 volt or 120 with an inverter.
    Heh, back of my envelope says you'd need 4 golf cart batteries to get a weekend worth, I'd rather pack sandwiches.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

I have a Force 10 2 burner propane with oven. I love it. The burners are every bit as good as a home range & the oven, while a bit small compared to a home range (or is that a home on the range? ) has very steady even heat.

As said - the sealed locker needs to drain overboard - preferably from the floor of the locker, plus you'll want a solenoid to shut off the tank from below (but still manually close the valve on the tank whenever you can) & a propane alarm at the lowest point in the cabin.

We can cook for 2 for 2-3 weeks on a 5 lb. tank.

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Yah, the Force 10 Bunch make a very good product!
    Bird

Origo. No seals, gaskets, o-rings, pumps, pressure tank, or primer.

Just pour 1/2 L into the canister and light it.

It doesn’t seem to burn very hot, until you burn your food, which I do regularly.

I have a Gimbled Shipmate kero .3 top burners and one for the oven It has been in constant use for 34 years.
    A few years ago took it apart and added insulation and some additional S Steel . it as one of the last made before they closed so looks like the were cutting corners.It is fine now.
    The burners are readily repairable . A few special tools. The nozzle wrench is required. A pair hemostat pliers to lift out and replace
    the nozzles are helpful.. I found a wire brush that had the exact wire size for cleaning the nozzles..The pricker ,internal to the burner has a cleaning wire ,but it is slightly smaller than the original bore of the nozzle .Taking the nozzle out and using a full size wire keeps them capable of full output.
    I use "Jet A" which is a good grade of Kero Anywhere in the world that has an airstrip will have it..
    These Primus type burners are powerful and put out a lot of heat .Gets the cooking job done properly. They can be turned down .A 'flame tamer ' is useful for food that wants low heat.
    All in all I am very satisfied Kero is a safe and readily available fuel.
    There have been thousands of meals cooked on that stove safely and efficiently..

As I have mentioned before, I run my stoves on mineral spirits/white spirit/paint thinner.
    It burns cleaner, (no soot), lights easier(less alcohol) and is universally available.
    How do you find it cost wise?

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    How do you find it cost wise?
    $12-20 a gallon, depends on where you are. States is cheaper the the Caribbean. Paint thinner is always cheaper than kerosene. I like to get "odorless" which is a bit more than whats on sale at Home Depot. And of course be careful of buying that "green " paint thinner chit.. the white milky stuff.

Hey Len! You still sailing and kicking!
    I'm Bruce from Carriacou! You tried to steal my wife from me 28 years ago! ( I can't blame you). How you doin? Your schooner Mary Harrigan ?

Yes indeed Bruce they were fine times.Now that was along time ago .I don't mess with other men's woman ,I was just agreeing with everything she said ,Is that the same thing?lol... I am very well and so is the "Mary Harrigan". Now in NZ and enjoying that.
    Fiji last winter ,great place.if you don't mind that the charts can be a mile off ...
    I follow your adventures and Great for you too.
    Winter here now, Not at all bad in Northland .I replaced the faithful Shipmate coal range with a Dickinson diesel galley range Very nice bit of gear Going 24/7 now ..The coal here is miserable stuff .Like burning tires...So gave that up . I have the Shipmate carefully stored just in case the crazed politicians make oil unavailable ..
    As for the "Jet A " The helicopter people drain some every morning as a safety measure The call it Dregs
    Absolutely fine Clean and I have found very little water in it . I do have a metal body inline filter that can take the pressure. Never had any problem Did I mention it is cheap? They just want it gone ....
    Cheers and keep up the good work Len

I use a Shipmate propane stove/oven and love it. It's like cooking at home, and is economical of fuel.

"Red Witch" has a Shipmate 211 wood burner that I use charcoal briquets in. It has a cast iron chowder pot and has a protrusion that fits down into the fire rings. It helps to keep the pot from sliding and conducts the heat better. It also works great for making stews and chili. The pot once belonged to L. Francis Herreshoff and was a gift given to me by his secretary Muriell Vaughn. I have never seen another one like it! I doubt that it was made by Shipmate as there is no identification on it.
    Jay

Wow. Did you know L.F. Herreshoff Jay?

I skippered and did a lot of work on many of his boats. My favorite is the "Bounty" Ketch as it is just the right size for a couple or a crowd of friends. That boat sails like a witch and is just plain drop dead gorgeous! L. Francis and I became friends because I often consulted him concerning repairs on his boats. He kept tabs on every one of them and always knew what was going on with them.
    My wife Anne and I were invited as guests to his home in Marblehead, the Crocker St. Castle. Sadly he passed on before we could go and visit. Even so, Muriel Vaughn allowed me the full run of the Herreshoff home, his shop and drafting room. Fortunately I was able to photograph the entire premises and all of his tools. A coffee table book is planned around the photos.
    Jay

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P71wffD6SPHrhymo7

Can you see this? Its my Swedish Trangia alcohol stove. Its inside its windscreen but that's the point. Its perfect for cooking on a small boat because:
    a) its very stable
    b) its nearly windproof
    c) the fuel is not as hazardous as white gas

It doesn't have a whole lot of cooking power though. Its fine for making meals for one or two, but I wouldn't try to feed a family with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by photocurio; 06-29-2019 at 04:36 PM.

The issue with alchohol seems to be refueling under way. Since I dont sail more than day hops when cruisng, it shouldnt be a worry. The Origo is considerably less than a propane unit and doesnt require all the modifications, solenoid, piping, sealing the locker, adding a drain....

Going back Saturday to look at the boat and maybe make a deal. Gotta get the Mrs. On board....pun intended...

I saw this for sale yesterday, it won’t fit in my little boat, though.

99BCB932-214F-4DAD-852E-85AD02A11C4F.jpg

Wow! I've sailed with one on a friend's boat. It's a wonder on a damp chilly day.

Would fit just fine in a corner of my shop...