Thread: Point Comfort 18

Question Point Comfort 18

Iím thinking about building a Point Comfort 18 (Doug Hylan design) from a kit made by the Hewes company in Blue Hill, Maine. Iíd like to get in touch with folks who have built this boat to get advice and folks who may own one built by someone else. Iíd really like to see one in person before deciding whether or not to take on the project. Iím in Maine (Deer Isle) but am willing to travel to see the boat. Iíd appreciate any suggestions for how to get in touch with builders and owners. Iíve asked Doug Hylan and the folks at Hewes and they apparently they donít keep track of who has bought plans and kits.

Default Re: Point Comfort 18

What parts does the kit consist of? Thx.

I believe the kit contains all the plywood parts as well as the molds and ladder frame. Epoxy, fiberglass cloth, and solid wood parts as well as fasteners are not included.

I think Jim Cricket here on the forum built a point comfort 21?

He's in NYC, I believe. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...=point+comfort

Sorry it's the 23.

If you type point comfort after clicking on advanced search and then "titles only" you'll find a few threads.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Hi Kevco, I built one. Search "Point Comfort 18 build in Florida". Great boat and it was my first build. It was a lot of fun and I think if you can source some marine plywood in your area you will save a boatload of money over buying a kit. The plans come with mold patterns that aren't hard to build and then you just wrap some plywood around them and you've got a boat. Well maybe not that quick, but look at my build and it will make sense. Good luck, Paul (old surfer)

Hi Kevco, I built one. Search "Point Comfort 18 build in Florida". Great boat and it was my first build. It was a lot of fun and I think if you can source some marine plywood in your area you will save a boatload of money over buying a kit. The plans come with mold patterns that aren't hard to build and then you just wrap some plywood around them and you've got a boat. Well maybe not that quick, but look at my build and it will make sense. Good luck, Paul (old surfer) Edit: It's Doug Hylan Point Comfort 18 build in FloridaIMG_1113.jpg