Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Takeaway From The Democratic Debate.

Default Re: My Takeaway From The Democratic Debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    It was like watching the South Park version of the Democratic debates tonight.

I want one of the women to run with Buttigieg or Swalwell (and how can you not like Yang?). I thought Gillibrand was one of the adults on the stage tonight. I like her a lot. There are some good choices, more than just a couple. I don't understand why Biden leads.
    The debates are one of the things that could change that. Watch the polls.

It was like watching the South Park version of the Democratic debates tonight.

I want one of the women to run with Buttigieg or Swalwell (and how can you not like Yang?). I thought Gillibrand was one of the adults on the stage tonight. I like her a lot. There are some good choices, more than just a couple. I don't understand why Biden leads.
    familiarity, like a brand of toothpaste.

Biden got his lunch eaten. He's not relevant, he's defending Obama's presidency, his choice on busing . . . . . Harris came out very strongly, I want to hear more policy detail from her. Pete would make a fine VP. I think Harris or Warren will be our candidate, I'd be fine with that.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Buttigeig has the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Buttigeig has the edge.
    Jury is still out. I did like his answer about the Officer involved shooting. HE is a rediciously smart guy, At this point, I would vote for him if here were the candidate in the general, just not in the primary . . . yet? Warren and Harris are both knowledgeable of the system and progressive enough to get sh17 done, Warren more so than Harris IMO.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Pete and Kamala kinda shone, I thought. And Biden (and Sanders) came across as aged lions, capable, but with too many battles behind them.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Bernie, much as I like him, is past his sell by date. Biden seemed to feel he was there to defend Obama & also lacked mental agility. Buttigeig is incredibly well spoken, Gillibrand & Harris both did well. Yang seemed a little lost.

I am really pleased to see so many bright, articulate women running. My nasty side would love to see Harris running against Trump simply because she'd tear him apart.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Bernie, much as I like him, is past his sell by date. Biden seemed to feel he was there to defend Obama & also lacked mental agility. Buttigeig is incredibly well spoken, Gillibrand & Harris both did well. Yang seemed a little lost.

I am really pleased to see so many bright, articulate women running. My nasty side would love to see Harris running against Trump simply because she'd tear him apart.
    She would at that.

~C. Ross

We Democrat/Liberal/Progressives need to embrace our nasty side.

I'm reminded of the Josey Wales speech when his party is under siege in the farmhouse.

And yes, seeing an experienced prosecutor debate Trump would be delicious.

Rattling the teacups.

My opinion, best showing, a year out: Harris.

Tearing donald apart is not the method that would get her elected. Might work for a man, not a woman. She has to be more subtle.

My nasty side would love to see Harris running against Trump simply because she'd tear him apart.
    Amen, brother! I wouldn't call that nasty, unless spectacularly well-deserved retribution is nasty.

Pretty much any of the better ones would make a good president.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Pretty much, eh Keith?

I saw a clip of Van Jones after the first debate making the same point. He said: "Put 'em all in a hat, shake it up, and pick two."
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Pete and Kamala kinda shone, I thought. And Biden (and Sanders) came across as aged lions, capable, but with too many battles behind them.
    Pete & Kamala are the ones with executive experience. Kamala has legislative experience also.

Swalwell wants it too badly.

The money:

TODD: OK, Mayor Buttigieg, your first priority, your first issue as president that you are going to block and tackle. *

BUTTIGIEG: We've got to fix our democracy before it's too late. Get that right, climate, immigration, taxes, and every other issue gets better.

-- https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...dential-debate
    The priority must be on repairing and reforming the system and its procedures. Districting. Vote suppression. The electoral college. Campaign finance. War powers.

All your pet issues will just have to F ing wait until we have a robust government structure to deal with them. One capable of resisting sabotage and capture by a hostile minority.

------------------------------
    * block and tackle?
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

Tearing donald apart is not the method that would get her elected. Might work for a man, not a woman. She has to be more subtle.
    Screw that. Screw the people for whom it would not "work". A President tears people like Trump apart. It's her duty. A President goes up against Duterte, Putin, a whole world full of "strong" male S heads. Tear them up and scatter the pieces.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

You are absolutely right. Lots of folks would be offended by a mere woman standing up to a man. Sad to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Amen, brother! I wouldn't call that nasty, unless spectacularly well-deserved retribution is nasty.

Pretty much any of the better ones would make a good president.
    Yepper!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Screw that. Screw the people for whom it would not "work". A President tears people like Trump apart. It's her duty. A President goes up against Duterte, Putin, a whole world full of "strong" male S heads. Tear them up and scatter the pieces.
    "Grind them into paste and spread them out 3 mils thick, to dry."
    Rattling the teacups.

Pete & Kamala are the ones with executive experience. Kamala has legislative experience also.

The money:

The priority must be on repairing and reforming the system and its procedures. Districting. Vote suppression. The electoral college. Campaign finance. War powers.

All your pet issues will just have to F ing wait until we have a robust government structure to deal with them. One capable of resisting sabotage and capture by a hostile minority.

* block and tackle?
    Yes.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The money:

I agree with you about Harris and have since the start although I don't hold Swalwell's enthusiasm against him. I doubt he'll have much impact on this season but I think that like AOC, he's someone to watch. The women are carrying the torch but we have some good people to chose from. There are many I could be enthusiastic about.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Julian Castro said trans people have a right to abortion, this is the party of science, if you ever wonder why the moderators were libs . Now you know. They were all blushing and pretending they did not hear this, notice none of the candidates dared question this, afraid the alphabet community.

Who cares what you think you heard? Vapid, thy image is Alvin.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Are they all completely ignorant or liars, no one has been able to buy a machine gun for decades, assault RIFLE? Thats just a semi automatic rifle like my camp carbine that looks scary. I know they are pandering to ignorant voters but millions are aware of their lies. Notice none called for stiffer penalties for those coming crimes with guns, that would go against people in prison innocents, notice they admit the cities they run are out of control.

I expect 6 posts of insults rather then review of what they said., look at it this way, you are hearing something other then what the media tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Julian Castro said trans people have a right to abortion, this is the party of science, if you ever wonder why the moderators were libs . Now you know. They were all blushing and pretending they did not hear this, notice none of the candidates dared question this, afraid the alphabet community.
    Alphabet community? What the heck is that?

Peace,
    Robert

[QUOTE=amish rob;5924189]Alphabet community? What the heck is that?

They are going to add a few letters after Castro gave us a biology lesson, perhaps ptf, pregnant trans folks. The trick is to get this all on the rainbow flag.

Lbgqtac/dcetc

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Lbgqtac/dcetc
    Glad to see they get their own letters!

And transgendered people have had children. For an example of a woman who transitioned to man but kept his female sexual organs: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20.../04/usa.gender

[QUOTE=bobbys;5924201]
    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Alphabet community? What the heck is that?

They are going to add a few letters after Castro gave us a biology lesson, perhaps ptf, pregnant trans folks. The trick is to get this all on the rainbow flag.
    Okay.

You choose to insult.

Classy.

Peace,
    Robert

OK thats done finally.
    Moving on to the next cut: Warren and Harris and Buttigieg. Maybe keeping Booker and Gabbard and Castro in the conversation for a while has some value, though I don't forsee any of them going the distance.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

Okay.

You choose to insult.

Classy.

Peace,
    Robert
    its all he's got
    that, and buffoonery
    he's proven himself incapable of real and honest dialogue here
    stupid is as stupid does
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Moving on to the next cut: Warren and Harris and Buttigieg. Maybe keeping Booker and Gabbard and Castro in the conversation for a while has some value, though I don't forsee any of them going the distance.
    spot on. Though I would be very surprised if any candidates, much less the obvious ones, stand down yet.

The money:

* block and tackle?
    Buttigieg is eggzaxtly on the button. Unless people want to hold out for that benevolent and wise authoritarian who will put everything to right, you know like Trump but competent, then we have to get the political system functioning better. Congress has to take back power they ceded to the Executive.
    In the meantime the GOP leadership needs to lose big time in 2020. Their support for Trumps authoritarianism, nepotism, xenophobia, idiotic tax cuts, filling gov’t with industry reps, undermining of the nations institutions of security and democracy, oh crap it goes on. Family values?

Alvin has an interesting mind. Instead of filters he has a confabulated projector. Words come in and they trigger a regurgitation of phrases that have objective references except they’re misplaced or mistaken. I’m guessing he doesn’t sound as twisted in real life with visual cues providing some kind of normalcy to an exchange. Or he’s a walking talking cartoon character with a Joisey accent.

It was a bit sad to notice a little age related "hesitation" in Biden's speaking. All the words are still there, they're just no longer available for instant recall. It happens to almost everyone in their 70's. I thought Pete and Kamala shone and would choose them.........but are they really electable in this country?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    It was a bit sad to notice a little age related "hesitation" in Biden's speaking. All the words are still there, they're just no longer available for instant recall. It happens to almost everyone in their 70's. I thought Pete and Kamala shone and would choose them.........but are they really electable in this country?
    If they aren’t electable we might as well close up shop and hail Putin’s macho white nationalism.