Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My Takeaway From The Democratic Debate.

Default My Takeaway From The Democratic Debate.

Didn't listen last night, but heard a lot of coverage this morning from NPR.

I think all the Spanish speaking candidates are going to get the Latinx vote out to the polls.

Like it or not, I think the nominee will be Elizabeth Warren.
    Rattling the teacups.

Default Re: My Takeaway From The Democratic Debate.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Didn't listen last night, but heard a lot of coverage this morning from NPR.

I think all the Spanish speaking candidates are going to get the Latinx vote out to the polls.

Like it or not, I think the nominee will be Elizabeth Warren.
    I would prefer her over Biden but I don’t think America is ready for another articulate thoughtful president. They want comfort. We can have Grandpa Joe smiling and saying comforting things with VP Warren coordinating with Congress to govern. It worked for Reagan and GW. America just isn’t ready for a dialog about the issues above an eighth grade level.

Does it ever make you want to barf at yet another round of agonizing over how to coddle the people like they were children?
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Don't think Biden's going to come through as the winner - Sanders either. Each are going to look sloppy compared with some of the sharper-edged others. Warren, Harris, Buttegieg, Booker, etc.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Didn't listen last night,.
    bit like a low information republican voter. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 06-27-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Send your money to Warren!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    but like a low information republican voter. . .
    Exactly, but I get my info from NPR, not Fox.
    Rattling the teacups.

It's early - haven't had 'the second act' of the dem debates. Warren is ascendant - today. I don't think Biden or Sanders will be there at the end - but there's a lot of time left.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I listened to most of it. Warren came out well indeed, but I was most surprised by Booker. He came across very well - bright, knowledgeable well spoken, and impassioned. Klobuchar kinda turned me off, as did Gabbard - though Fox says she was the most searched after the debate. I thought Castro came across as smart & knowledgeable - and the pundits are calling it a breakout night for him. Beto did nothing for me & he seemed uncomfortable.

This morning NPR was referring to debate #1 (except Warren) as the JV. However - you never know. Tonight is supposed to feature Sanders vs. Biden - but we'll see - I think Mayor Pete may mess with the pairing a bit. I hope so.

I was surprised how the moderators last night did not give equal time. From the WaPO:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    but like a low information republican voter. . .
    Some here did not watch it, of course ne being a informed person securitized every word Sept for the Spanish ones. Mayor Bill de Blasio clearly won with his wit, its a fact only he could take on trump and his points about Biden being out of touch helped him take the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Does it ever make you want to barf at yet another round of agonizing over how to coddle the people like they were children?
    Yes indeed. I used to think this country was a leader in many things. No longer by a long way. We’ve turned into a poorly educated banana republic with a strong man. We even have to worry about whether a woman is electable. We are one of the few modern counties that has never had a woman leader. Certainly not where I thought this country was headed.

The business man at the far right was wrong when he said medical facilities would go out of business with Medicare payment rates. TIME did nearly an entire issue back in March of '15 on hospital billing. According to that article, Medicare has a formula for setting what they allow a provider to charge. It includes, among other things, cost of living in the area, patient traffic, and the need for the facility to make a profit. The providers agree to accept what Medicare allows, so you know they're not losing money.

I'm still wondering why they have to stand for these things.

I also wish someone would make the point that the health insurance some get through their employers and like, are subject to a problem is the employer moves or goes out of business. That healthcare he provides is not 'free'. We all pay for it when we buy his product or service.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Some here did not watch it, of course ne being a informed person securitized every word Sept for the Spanish ones. Mayor Bill de Blasio clearly won with his wit, its a fact only he could take on trump and his points about Biden being out of touch helped him take the debate.
    Of course you would come away with that view. Bi Blasio is the closest thing to the sleazebag in the White House that you root for.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Yes indeed. I used to think this country was a leader in many things. No longer by a long way. We’ve turned into a poorly educated banana republic with a strong man. We even have to worry about whether a woman is electable. We are one of the few modern counties that has never had a woman leader. Certainly not where I thought this country was headed.
    One might ask why folks that live in a banana republic are sneaking into another banana republic, heck we dont even grow bananas here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hubbard View Post
    Of course you would come away with that view. Bi Blasio is the closest thing to the sleazebag in the White House that you root for.
    Is this the NYC police replying?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    One might ask why folks that live in a banana republic are sneaking into another banana republic, heck we dont even grow bananas here.
    Some countries have more bananas.

Can't help but wonder how long the word latinx will last before people decide its offensive to someone for some reason.

Because the banana republics they're leaving are in effect governed by gangs that supply the North American drug and sex trade, and it's their usual business practice to rape/mutilate/dismember/slaughter folks who don't support or participate. There's been quite a bit in the news about it, for any who want to find out. Strangely, the world doesn't stop at the USA's southern border.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Can't help but wonder how long the word latinx will last before people decide its offensive to someone for some reason.
    Your exactly right! As soon as those use it as a derogatory description and weaponize the term, it will cease to be a reasonable term but a term to ridicule someone.

I wonder who will be the first folks to take that road?
    PaulF

I don't know, but it was my new word of the day this morning!
    Rattling the teacups.

Can't help but wonder how long the word latinx will last before people decide it's offensive to someone for some reason.
    Like those who appreciate the Spanish language? (Sorry, I'm just working on being a disagreeable old fart.)
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Tim Ryan spoke for the middle America vote last night - those democrats that voted for trump. Others were searching for left coast liberals, the immigrant Latin vote and the black transgender females who want to have a natural child birth.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-27-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Wow! :P
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

My ranking: Warren, Booker, Castro, Klobuchar. The rest ought to drop out. O'Rourke seems like a nice guy, but I can't see him as an effective president (yet).

Delaney, de Blasio, and Ryan were loudmouths: interrupted, spoke out of turn, made me feel like giving them a whack.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

How come there was no debate of the green new deal?

seems that the DNC clearly doesn’t want to really talk about the governments or even the Democrats roll in climate change.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Just a bunch of college kids, it'll never go mainstream.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghlight=latinx

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghlight=latinx
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

The reds have to be terrified of Elizabeth Warren.
    Banking regulations and Health care?
    \What is the world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    How come there was no debate of the green new deal?

seems that the DNC clearly doesn’t want to really talk about the governments or even the Democrats roll in climate change.
    A lot of what they say depends upon the questions posed, no?

As an aside, I'd like to take credit for Amy K's hair. I tweeted her a few days ago and asked to please get her hair out of her eye. I found it distracting. Much easier to listen to her without wondering why she keeps her hair in her eye.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    A lot of what they say depends upon the questions posed, no?

As an aside, I'd like to take credit for Amy K's hair. I tweeted her a few days ago and asked to please get her hair out of her eye. I found it distracting. Much easier to listen to her without wondering why she keeps her hair in her eye.
    Now if she'd fix the plastic smile & look at the camera she might come across as trustworthy. I realize my opinion is based only last night only, but still...

Oh, Amy Klobuchar's as trustworthy as they come; not perfect, but pretty good. You want an actor, hire an actor. Reagan was very good at smiling benevolently, looking right at the camera, and acting very sincere.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Oh, Amy Klobuchar's as trustworthy as they come; not perfect, but pretty good. You want an actor, hire an actor. Reagan was very good at smiling benevolently, looking right at the camera, and acting very sincere.
    Good to hear & good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    The reds have to be terrified of Elizabeth Warren.
    Banking regulations and Health care?
    \What is the world coming to?
    I think Warren is old enough and white enough to have some connection to 'the old days', similar to Biden, and she has the fire in her belly similar to AOC.

Yeah, they're terrified.

I have come to believe that a blue wave/tsunami/landslide victory in 2020 is the only thing that will stop these orcish rats.

Seriously.

If they are not given an unbelievable thrashing, and sent to bed without their supper, they will not be destroyed.

Figuratively speaking of course, as in:

'The Party Of Sedition must be ground into paste and spread out 3 mils thick, to dry, like the criminal scum they are.'
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Now if she'd fix the plastic smile & look at the camera she might come across as trustworthy. I realize my opinion is based only last night only, but still...
    I've found her to be quite trustworthy. I thought announcing during a storm was silly, and that hairstyle where her left eye was covered was, to may anyway, annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I thought announcing during a storm was silly . . . ..
    It was scheduled well before the forecast was in. One could argue that having a rally outside in Minneapolis on February 10 wasn't a good idea, but it's very Minnesotan. I like Ms Klobuchar. I doubt she'll actually become president, but she'd be pretty good at it.

Richard Feynman

It was like watching the South Park version of the Democratic debates tonight.

I want one of the women to run with Buttigieg or Swalwell (and how can you not like Yang?). I thought Gillibrand was one of the adults on the stage tonight. I like her a lot. There are some good choices, more than just a couple. I don't understand why Biden leads.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.