Thread: Old wooden boat I found in my new house can someone help me identify who makes it

Default Old wooden boat I found in my new house can someone help me identify who makes it

Hey all,

im new to this forum site! Today I came across a wooden boat in my driveway that was store very well. Seems to be 1950-1960s based on my re search. Can you guys help me out !? And let me know if this has any value
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Old wooden boat I found in my new house can someone help me identify who makes it

Quote Originally Posted by Ajr188 View Post
    Hey all,

im new to this forum site! Today I came across a wooden boat in my driveway that was store very well. Seems to be 1950-1960s based on my re search. Can you guys help me out !? And let me know if this has any value
    Hello,
    Looks like it might be a Penn Yan Swift. I canít determine the length of your boat but I believe the Swift was 12í. Have fun!

Default Re: Old wooden boat I found in my new house can someone help me identify who makes it

You shouldn't store it on its side like that. Its not good for the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    Funny!
    Simmons Sea Skiff build photos here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vxuQDZI0Dz7qjzAx1

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorChief View Post
    Hello,
    Looks like it might be a Penn Yan Swift. I canít determine the length of your boat but I believe the Swift was 12í. Have fun!

Hm interesting, when I had measured it Iím pretty sure it was about 13FT anyway thanks for the information. I just checked google a lot of them have two rows. This one has 3, does this boat have any value

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    HA HA , it was not outside. I pulled it out of the garage to see what the hell it was

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

After 200 hours of labor and $2000 in materials you might get a grand for it.
    The old license plate might fetch a few bux.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Yea I’m definitely not going to do that

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I don't know. If she was kept covered and the bottom hasn't been deformed by the trailer (possible since it looks like she's on bunks) you might get lucky and just need to refinish. So figure 100 hours and $500 in materials. Or she could be full of wet leaves with the bottom rotten right through, in which case you might be able to cut off the aft end and make her into a bookcase.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

of course I'm kidding....or...
    It's a desirable boat for someone who may be into antique small outboards and want to bring her as a platform to bring to shows.
    But any dollar value....I doubt it .
    Yes, she does look like she is on bunks,that's good.
    Indoors, very good.
    bruce

Someone has to ask: How does one just 'come across' a large object in their driveway?

Jeff

Did you pull the plywood off to look for a builder's plate on the inside of the transom? That seems to be a common location. If you just moved into the house I'm assuming that time is precious, but that might be worth a quick squint. What are your intentions? Keep the boat & play with it? Sell it (can't do that here, obviously) or maybe find an enthusiastic curator who'd take it off your hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Did you pull the plywood off to look for a builder's plate on the inside of the transom? That seems to be a common location. If you just moved into the house I'm assuming that time is precious, but that might be worth a quick squint. What are your intentions? Keep the boat & play with it? Sell it (can't do that here, obviously) or maybe find an enthusiastic curator who'd take it off your hands?
    My plan is to sell it, I have no interest or need for it. Where can I sell it any idea where

Pretty easy, buy a estate sale...... ( your buying the house as is garbage and all )

My plan is to sell it, I have no interest or need for it. Where can I sell it any idea where
    Give it away. You won't get enough through a sale to bother.

craigslist, Facebook etc.

maybe you'll entice an enthusiast

This forum is not for "selling"

Take detailed photos of the boat, inside and out. Include close-ups of the inside framing. Try to find a builder's plate and photograph that, too. Rotate the photos so that they're not on their sides. Advertise FOR FREE in the boats section on Craigslist. It has no cash value whatsoever, but someone will want to take on a project. The trailer itself might be worth a few hundred bucks; if you're determined to see some cash out of it, sell the trailer separately after you give the boat away.
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Take detailed photos of the boat, inside and out. Include close-ups of the inside framing. Try to find a builder's plate and photograph that, too. Rotate the photos so that they're not on their sides. Advertise FOR FREE in the boats section on Craigslist. It has no cash value whatsoever, but someone will want to take on a project. If the bottom is rotted out someone might want a boat-shaped garden planter.

The trailer itself might be worth a few hundred bucks; if you're determined to see some cash out of it, sell the trailer separately after you give the boat away.
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Hey all,

You might be able get info from the NY DOT regarding the sticker on the pointy end.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Are you in the city limits? (NY, NY) If you are not too far from me I might help you determine it's condition. I'm halfway out in Suffolk.
    If it were mine I would at least try to sell it before giving it away. List it for $500, and drop the price by a hundred every two weeks until it is gone.

Registration and Paperwork maybe an issue if you sell it.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.