Thread: Spars / sail transport?

Default Spars / sail transport?

I know this is a bit of a longshot, but thought I would ask anyway....
    I acquired a 10 ft 1960 mahogany Norsk Nutshell late last year - same boat I owned several decades back - this time, just a bare hull, no spars, sail, etc
    I had posted on Craigslist (where I bought her) earlier this year about possibly locating the sail / spar rig for her - a very nice gentleman in Cedar Key FL posted back he has a sail rig and spars - that I can have for FREE
    My problem is getting them back here to NE Ohio where I live - Cedar Key is about 1000 miles from me one way!
    I looked into LTL truck shipping - very costly, and prone to damaging these spars, etc
    Anyone traveling from somewhere in the Midwest to FL anytime this summer that may be able to assist? Or, conversely, from FL to the Midwest or east coast anytime?
    I will likely just take the drive down to FL later this fall if I have to, but looking for any options at this point to use the cool little boat this season.

Default Re: Spars / sail transport?

You might try to find a car or boat delivery company that would piggyback it on another load.

Post it on the Wooden Boat Forum facebook page.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I suppose you tried Uship.com? You can take bids there and decide if one works for you, we used them to get our Alcort Catfish SMEDLEY from Schenectady down to Pensacola. A shipper would love to have a light load like that to supplement another load.

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

The shipper tied the stern of the boat to a tree in our yard with padded straps, eased the truck out from underneath with a strap attached to the bow(s), gently lowered the stern and then the bow. By himself. My wife watched and thought to herself "Only a Marine could come ashore like that." hence the name SMEDLEY, for Smedley Butler.

SMEDLEY outbound.jpg

Your other option is to trailer your boat down next Spring and attend the Cedar Key Festival with your new spars and sail
    Last edited by signalcharlie; 06-26-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

You could try a rowing shell shipper. They haul 60 ft shells regularly and could easily accommodate your spars.

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Yeah, the guy who has offered me the Nutshell sail and spars, is one of the organizers of the Cedar Key Small Boat Festival down there (Hugh Horton)....just wasn't able to get down there in early May, due to some health issues in my family I am dealing with!

I have not used them myself, but several members of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association have used these folks for canoes and other long things and have been quite satisfied, both with price and with quality of service:

KAS Transport http://www.shipyourkayak.com/

A quick google tells me that the mast is only 10' long. I suspect that many shipping companies can easily take that. Even UPS could likely do it. So simply lash it to a 11' long length of 2x4, wrap it in plastic, and send it along. The weight is not a factor. I had lengths of hardwood lumber sent from various parts of the lower 48 to my shop in Alaska often. Most were in excess of 10'. No problem. And that lumber was probably worth more than your mast.

Jeff