Thread: do you have to finish an entire coat of paint in one session

Default do you have to finish an entire coat of paint in one session

I'm afraid I may be asking a ridiculous question; but here goes

Was out putting the second coat on my dinghy the other day with Kirby's enamel, and I got interrupted, and had to put down the brush and return around a half hour later. Aside from a ounce or two of Penetrol, it was not thinned. This was the first time I ever began to put on a coat of paint on any boat and couldn't finish the entire coat in one sitting. But I returned and saw that the portion I had not finished was thick, but still wet and called it a day. What to do?

After the applied paint dries, can I just pick up where I left off and finish the coat? Assuming that I overlap where I already painted, will all blend today and look fine? Or will it look crazy in some fashion? Remember this is Kirby's, kind of a magical paint to some.

thanks

David

You can, but there will be a very hard edge that will not please you. It will need to be blocked out and leveled.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: do you have to finish an entire coat of paint in one session

If you're not working for a perfect high gloss finish, it should be fine.

I might be tempted to lightly sand where you left off, feather it out, and then continue.... and leave the phone off the hook.

Oh well you were going to apply two coats anyway right? You will have very visible brush marks where you stopped and started.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Perfection is an unreasonable goal.
    One can stop and start, especially with a low lustre paint . That's an ADVANTAGE of Kirbys.
    What cha gonna do for scratches and dings? Paint the whole boat every time?

It's a dinghy. Any paint is better than no paint. (Well... almost.)

But yes, if you don't keep a wet-edge, so that it blends, then you will see the boundary later, especially when the sun reflects on it.

My wife has learned that if I say, "I have to keep a wet edge going!" I'm serious, and won't turn aside.

What they said. However, if you have to repair a ding, you patch paint, you do not paint the entire boat to repair 3 square inches of damage. So don't worry, go sailing.
    Do it right next refit when you freshen the paint.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

You might also consider thinning the paint and applying multiple coats. That will provide a much better paint job. Most inexperienced painters mistakenly apply paint right out of the can, which is almost always too thick.

I keep reading the thread title as one season. I figure one side this year, one side next year. Then the transom. Then start over.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Yes. If you have a hard edge as mentioned above, sand it to feather it in. And tuck away the knowledge next time to leave a feather edge if you get called away.

Can't wait to see your new paint job!

Galloping Horse Criteria applies to paint jobs as well as other boat building adventures.
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I keep reading the thread title as one season. I figure one side this year, one side next year. Then the transom. Then start over.

I keep reading "entire can in one season "!

That's a thing though. I'm up to putting some gloss on my topsides as part of my deck rebuild. Using International Perfection 2 part polyurethane. You need to keep a wet edge, and it flashes off pretty quickly once it's rolled out. And here's the thing, it says right there on the can you mix it, then wait 20 minutes before you use it. So you pretty much have to guess how much you need for the whole job and mix it all up in one shot. Turned out just right this morning, but more by luck than good judgement.

Most paints have slowing agents, or brushing liquids, that can be mixed in. Almost all paints out-of-the-can dry too fast, unless it's a grey cloudy day at 12C.

I've been using Kirby's for decades. On some jobs I can anticipate not completing the topsides in one go. I select a plank seam as boundary and paint just a skudge below that. Next day I tape what amounts to an extra waterline right on the seam, light sand the inch or so of new tape below, and carry on. That blends well.

I have been caught with a large vertical edge that dried. My artist partner put a tape line with two diagonals like > about a foot from the cured edge and fine sanded up to the tape, and then painted. It actually worked.

All very well if you have plank seams! I've just put on my second coat above the rubbing strake. About 1 litre per coat. Now I can move on to the deck, and then below the rubbing strake, and then the cabins.