Thread: Anyone have a mow-bot?

Default Anyone have a mow-bot?

We were out to breakfast at a place last week that had one of these deals working the lawn.

Now back at home I have a dandy of a zeroturn mower, which cut my whole-lawn mowing time from 3hrs to about an hour, but still it's not a task I enjoy at all. Three out of four mows gets done by the boy, but he won't be in residence for much longer. I'm not yet at the point in my life at which I can hire a landscaper.
    Selling the zeroturn and buying a mowbot system would be a roughly break-even deal. Very very tempting.

Anyone here have one of these?
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Default Re: Anyone have a mow-bot?

I'd rather have sheep. That way you get short grass, fertilizer for the roses, and occasional lamb chops.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

I took a different route. When we moved here I dug up all the lawn and piled it in a heap to rot. It is now my vegetable garden with a rock wall edge. I filled in the yard with about 10 loads of pit run gravel, and last week and this am finally getting on a top coat of crushed Class A and compacting it. I was very picky about what pit it came from, I wanted the nice blue coloured stone with flecks of quartz. The first 20 tons are down and compacted, 80 tons more to come this week, one load each evening. I left one small patch of grass and blueberries in the front yard around a few trees. About 10 minutes with a whipper snipper a few times a year is the extent of my lawn care.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Steve, I am soooo envious...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

geez steve. you could have just done artificial turf for the price of that gravel

I suspect a 'bot's utility depends on how big your lot is. Too big - not sure it ever gets done! They keep getting better - I know a couple with one, they like it.

They're starting to come out with ZTR electrics. Looks interesting.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    geez steve. you could have just done artificial turf for the price of that gravel
    It worked out that a local crushing operation needed my help a few times on the weekends with some electrical control work. I traded them for the rock. I was further helped by the fact that my best friend’s son works for them and lives by me. He’s hauling it home for me one load each evening when he can. He always grabs the biggest truck, a double tandem, and stogs it full. We figure about 20 tons a load. My friend’s skid steer and plate tamper sit waiting for the next loads.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Step one: buy high powered quad copter type drone.

Step two: master inverted flight.

Step three: enjoy.

Peace,
    Goodest Ideaer Of All Times

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    It worked out that a local crushing operation needed my help a few times on the weekends with some electrical control work. I traded them for the rock. I was further helped by the fact that my best friend’s son works for them and lives by me. He’s hauling it home for me one load each evening when he can. He always grabs the biggest truck, a double tandem, and stogs it full. We figure about 20 tons a load. My friend’s skid steer and plate tamper sit waiting for the next loads.

excellent job setting that up. i just redid the new house back yard. got rid of a pool and put a yard back in. new concrete patio. i hated having those dump trucks coming in with fill. busted my sidewalks up. oh well, they're on the to-do list.

I too favor the sheep idea, but then I suspect that the local bobcat would enjoy them even more.

Moose!

They're still purty pricey - but suspect that cost will come down. Large lot - just get a bunch of 'em, let 'em duke it out.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Nah- you can't get nice even stripes, preferably diagonal.
    Not much use in my 'garden', anyway- varies between 1 in 5, and a cliff. They don't do robot strimmers for that sort of patch.

Last I heard, they still use "pong" technology -- run straight until they hit something, then ricochet off. I suspect that by the time they have covered the entire lawn, there will be parts of the lawn that will need to be mowed already.
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

I watched one at a place that sells them. I was completely unimpressed. Slow, uneven cutting, & fought with the minimal slope of this little plot.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A work in progress. GPS will help immensely. And besides - what's more important than a neatly trimmed lawn?

Don't have one but am considering it like you are. Steep hillsides, irregular plot boundaries and neighbors who may not appreciate a slow, unmanned, meandering machine may be an issue for us. The method suggested here (mowing a little bit each day) is interesting. https://www.wired.com/2016/07/husqva...r-450x-review/

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Last I heard, they still use "pong" technology -- run straight until they hit something, then ricochet off. I suspect that by the time they have covered the entire lawn, there will be parts of the lawn that will need to be mowed already.
    I gather that, while that pong-logic remains a basic operating premise, the seemingly-random action is not quite so random anymore. It does keep track of where it's been, or really where it HASN'T been. While this is largely about effective use of battery power so they can claim a bigger capable-of-acreage number, it also ensures that the little panhandle-strip down the side of the garage doesn't get ignored.

This decision for us has landed in Dear Wifey's lap. It turns out that having our place mowed by pro landscapers is dramatically less expensive than I'd thought, so I'm suddenly all in favor of that. She works from home, however, and not-booking sessions during that couple of hours of noise is just one more thing she'd have to keep track of in her schedule, which frankly is a constant clustertruck already.
    She'll come to a decision.... perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    They're still purty pricey - but suspect that cost will come down. Large lot - just get a bunch of 'em, let 'em duke it out.
    I love robot wars!

Geeks rock!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Dave, I'm curious... why might neighbors object to the slow meandering unmanned machine? They aren't noisy.

"To a Mouse" was written because Burns happened to see the mouse running around in despair when his horse-drawn plow ran through it's house. Glad he wasn't riding a tractor ... or using an automated machine.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Has anyone yet built a zero turn mow-bot with at least a 48 inch cut that can handle thick tall grass?

Mow-bot? 48"? I don't think that exists - yet.
    Last edited by George Jung; 08-07-2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: when that puppy goes 'off the grid', watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Dave, I'm curious... why might neighbors object to the slow meandering unmanned machine? They aren't noisy.
    Technophobia
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Has anyone yet built a zero turn mow-bot with at least a 48 inch cut that can handle thick tall grass?
    What I've seen are 22" or so & can handle maybe 3" grass as long as it's not wet or thick.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Job done

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk