Thread: Attica or Sing Sing?

Default Attica or Sing Sing?

I think Attica might be good for Trump and his band of thieves!

Supreme Court Double Jeopardy Ruling May Affect Presidential Pardon Power .

(Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Supreme Court reaffirmed that a state and the federal government can press separate prosecutions over the same conduct, ruling in a case that might have extended the impact of President Donald Trump’s pardon power.

The justices, voting 7-2, left intact the “separate sovereigns” doctrine, a decades-old rule that limits the scope of the constitutional ban on double jeopardy. Elimination of the separate-sovereigns rule would have meant that a presidential pardon might block some state charges as well.

The case was being watched for any possible impact on Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chairman. Manafort has been sentenced to a total of 7 1/2 years in prison in two federal cases, and he is now facing New York state charges for residential mortgage fraud, conspiracy and falsifying business records.

Trump hasn’t ruled out a pardon of Manafort, though he said March 13 it’s “not something on my mind.”

The case before the court involved Terance Gamble, who said his constitutional rights were violated when he was charged under both Alabama and federal law for possessing a gun as a convicted felon. He pleaded guilty to the state charges, then sought to have his federal indictment dismissed.
    ‘Not An Exception’

The Constitution’s Fifth Amendment says that no one shall “be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb.” The separate-sovereigns doctrine is often considered an exception to the double-jeopardy clause.

Writing for the court Monday, Justice Samuel Alito said the separate-sovereigns rule “is not an exception at all” but instead “follows from the text that defines that right in the first place.”

“An ‘offence’ is defined by a law, and each law is defined by a sovereign,” Alito wrote. “So where there are two sovereigns, there are two laws, and two ‘offences.’”

An unusual pairing of justices, liberal Ruth Bader Ginsburg and conservative Neil Gorsuch, dissented. Justice Clarence Thomas, who in 2016 called for reexamination of the doctrine, said in a concurring opinion that his views had shifted.

“I agree that the historical record does not bear out my initial skepticism of the dual-sovereignty doctrine,” Thomas wrote.

In recent decades, federal prosecutors have invoked the separate-sovereigns doctrine to press civil rights charges against people who have already faced state criminal charges. In 1993, a federal jury found two Los Angeles police officers guilty in the beating of Rodney King even though they had already been acquitted of state charges.

The case is Gamble v. United States, 17-646.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: Attica or Sing Sing?

I'm reminded of the undersung Steve Martin movie My Blue Heaven in which a bunch of mobsters are stuck in SoCal in the witness protection program..... they're safe from the mafia but their lives are HELL because they can't find a place that makes decent sauce.

Is it too much to ask that NY extradite him to Minnesota or something?
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

You'd inflict him on Keith and Cris? What have they done to you?!
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I'd vote for sending him to Guantanamo.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue

He'd like the weather, and just across the wall they have universal health care.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Could't you make him resident governor of Jarvis Island...........
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Put him up in Capone's old digs at Alcatraz.
    Nosce te ipsum

What a shame we have to choose. Oh for the good old days, when traitors would be drawn and quartered, and tarred bits of their corpses sent to multiple locations and nailed to posts in the city square as an awful warning.

North Brother Island has a nice ring to it too, after all, Turnip is spreading disease with his every breath.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I'd vote for sending him to Guantanamo.
    This. Send the whole bunch of petty mobsters to Gitmo and let the Marines have their way with them.

Or in spirt of the OP, Clinton (Dannemora)
    It's the nastiest prison in the NYSC system.

Fairbanks, alaska

Fort Leavenworth. His crimes are federal and, as Commander-in-Chief, I suppose he is also a member of the military. Throw him in the stockade.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

For NY charges, I’d vote for Dannamora. He’d love the weather there, crammed between the Adirondacks and Quebec, and maybe he could get a job in the sewing room — lots of “action” there.

Maybe Louisiana would take him. Angola Prison certainly has the perfect place for him. They could reopen "Red Hat cell Block" as the exclusive presidential prison.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Cell_Block

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    For NY charges, I’d vote for Dannamora. He’d love the weather there, crammed between the Adirondacks and Quebec, and maybe he could get a job in the sewing room — lots of “action” there.
    I used to live in that area. Just driving past the dirty massive concrete front wall of the place would suck the soul right out of you. "Abandon all hope he who enters here" comes to mind.
    I've been to Alcatraz. What a dismal place!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Auburn. That's where they make license plates. Think of the revenue the state could garner from, " Trump Built," vanity plates!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Rikers Island...In the east river!
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington