Thread: On the way for a new DeWalt...

Default On the way for a new DeWalt...

I decided to save 30 bucks and picked up a Bauer 5" from harbor freight I'm already impressed! (it was only $35)
    I was actually a going out to buy a new dewalt even though my old one, roughly 25 years old needs some new parts it still runs, but makes lots of clouds!
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-120-...ander/50430512

First run with the Bauer, no clouds! the picture shows approximately 1 minute of sanding dust from the piece of Ash it's sitting on.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/28-Amp...der-63999.html

it's always seemed to me that these type Sanders although they had just dust extraction the fan built within was always borderline, this one seems adequate we shall is it that is worth $35 I have a feeling it's worth much more than what it cost.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Do you want to come and try it out on my deck?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: On the way for a new DeWalt...

At that price you cant go wrong!
    You can probably rebuild your DeWalt if you want.

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/dewa...al-sander.html
    If you cant make it accurate, make it adjustable.

Can a vac be hooked to it?

My ole DeWalt really only needs the dust collector bag, new velcro disc and the friction brake to keeps the disc and spinning at high speed.

the new one does have a round hose connection underneath the rectangular box.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Ok...update on the HF sander,
    It's powerful I would not call it useful for fine sanding on paint or epoxy...

The dust-collecting box slides off which is kind of disappointing because I don't dislike as a sander itself so I may take it back.

I've had a Porter-Cable RO sander with a similar dust collector for over ten years. While it does a fine job of sanding, the dust collector is minimal at best. So I've replaced the collector thingy with a long, flexible hose that is attached to my shop vac- ZERO dust!!!

In your way to Harbor Freight to return it, would you mind returning my totally worthless pipe cutter as well? You can have the money.

My my 20 yr + DeWalt had trouble with its dust bag almost from new.

I jave the same sander from HF. I pulled the dust collector off and used electrical tape to connect a hose so I can hook it up to my shop vac. Use it on everything from wood to ablative bottom paint without dust or issues.

I may ask for an exchange it may be just a casting flaw in the plastic dust box, I like the variable speed!

I make it a practice not to buy anything more complicated than a hammer, or a shop rag, from HF. Seen too many people be disappointed. A few years back, though, I did buy a small grinder there - which surprised my at how long it lasted. I guess I just lucked out, as the employee who picked it up for me also bought one for his personal use. It died the first time he tried to use it. Mine lasted a couple of years, with very light use. Bearings and switch went out at just the same time. Coincidentally - I replaced it with a DeWalt... which saw much more use, and has lasted for a bunch of years.

In HVAC contracting essentially my whole life when I took over the family business, we always bought the best tools they didn't last any longer than tools bought at harbor freight so it's a big debate that will never be answered on any forum,. now that I'm on fixed-income I just don't have the budget for anything, actually I try to get by with what the business had but sometimes I just have to buy replacements.

Anyway I did theexchange and the dust collection box doesn't come off this one easily so, we'll see,. And I get another 90 days from this date not from the original purchase date.

I'm a sucker for "pre-1990s used Black&Decker for $2 or less"

(edit: ppl say, "Plyboy, how do you even LIVE without mod cons like quick change chucks???" I say "Drillbit in one drill, countersink in the second, driver in the third." )
    Last edited by Plyboy; 07-27-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

My RO sander is a cheapie I bought from a big box store about 25 years ago to get one job done. When it gave up the ghost after about 3 years I was able to identify the problem as seized ball bearings. A few dollars for a couple of decent sealed bearings from an engineering supplies outlet, and it has been going ever since. Oddly for a cheap tool, it came with a spare set of motor brushes.
    If you cant make it accurate, make it adjustable.

Gone is the time when a mfg's product was actually manufactured by the named company. just about everything is a production run assembled with the color & labeling specified by the "mfg"

Example; "Skill" power tools are near identical to the ones sold by HF.

HF in the last couple of years has brought in new lines with very colorful colors and appealing names for their target audience (customers)

it's the age of "parent" companies.

https://youtu.be/yGRVDRZbPkQ
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 07-27-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    My RO sander is a cheapie I bought from a big box store about 25 years ago to get one job done. When it gave up the ghost after about 3 years I was able to identify the problem as seized ball bearings. A few dollars for a couple of decent sealed bearings from an engineering supplies outlet, and it has been going ever since. Oddly for a cheap tool, it came with a spare set of motor brushes.
    Same here, done it several times to various RO sanders. Doesn't seem to make any difference what you pay (Bosch) the dust, especially plaster, gets the bearings.
    Re: DeWalt
    I was very unimpressed with the quality of the last drill I bought off them. Stator coil burned out just after the warranty expired. Stripped it and found it was very cheaply made, unlike my small DW angle grinder that has been in daily use for 16 yrs. Priced a new coil from a spares outfit and decided it wasn't worth fixing.

I now buy Skill, as they seem to be reasonably put together for the price.
    A2

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Same here, done it several times to various RO sanders. Doesn't seem to make any difference what you pay (Bosch) the dust, especially plaster, gets the bearings.
    Re: DeWalt
    I was very unimpressed with the quality of the last drill I bought off them. Stator coil burned out just after the warranty expired. Stripped it and found it was very cheaply made, unlike my small DW angle grinder that has been in daily use for 16 yrs. Priced a new coil from a spares outfit and decided it wasn't worth fixing.

I now buy Skill, as they seem to be reasonably put together for the price.
    A2
    I'm mostly not a DeWalt guy, though I own a few of their tools. And happily.

For cordless, I'm a Milwaukeee and Makita guy. For others I'm happy to pick and choose by the excellence of the individual model.

But many of these tools are owned by a larger organization, and cater to different price points. Just as Milwaukee is the premier line with Rigid under it, and Ryobi under that... DeWalt is the premier line in their stable - with PorterCable under it, then Black&Decker.

Overall - I'd be quite surprised if today's Skil tools performed for you any where as well as the DeWalt line. Skil occupies the same tier as Ryobi and B&Decker. Workable for infrequent, light, use. But the best value for most non-pro folks comes one tier up. The P/Cable & Rigid lines, for instance.

They are all made in the same 3 factories in China. That includes Snap-On and Matco.

Just like cars, some are Wednesday builds, and others are Friday afternoon builds.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
    They are all made in the same 3 factories in China. That includes Snap-On and Matco.

Just like cars, some are Wednesday builds, and others are Friday afternoon builds.
    Sorry... no.

The top tier brands get the best engineering, the latest tech, the beefier/better components specified, and the highest levels of QC. And the prettiest colors <G>

If you like to keep your tools for a long time and have the best experiences, Festool (and I hear Mirka) sanders are worth it. These days I don't do any boat work but I'm glad I kept my Festool sanding stuff. Their HEPA vac system is a huge time, odor and grief saver in interior work (at which they excel) and of course one must use a vac on any boat being worked over in the water. If you can swing the Festool you need you are well served for a long time, and they do not come from one of three Chinese factories (ahem). They are painful to buy compared to others but if you value your time and want a tool that is clean, reliable, rebuildable and easy to use, they're it.

Not everything bad is made in China and not all Chinese stuff is bad but if you buy a $30 tool you have to reckon it's not suited for the duration. I love good design and build and try to buy the best tools I can. Sometimes I don't and it works out but I have had mixed experiences with HF. I've had a couple of fairly spectacular HF failures including a dead blow hammer that sort of exploded and flung shot everywhere. So even their hammers can be suspect. I'm fine with the 10" wet saw I bought from them but I bought it for one specific job. It paid for itself and if I need to cut stone again, it's here 'til it isn't. Their tool boxes (US GENERAL) are good enough for me but the bike lift isn't. Hand tools I buy elsewhere.

I had a bad DeWalt experience with one of their admittedly cheaper sanders and it soured me.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 08-08-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

And on it goes....

I still have tools and equipment from over 40 years of HVAC contracting, home improvements, with boat building filling in the spaces. 🤣 we (now just me or what's Left of me) 😱 have probably thrown away or burned out more tools than some of the woodworking shops which have more stationary equipment.

We even spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars trying to make a dust-free shop.. guess you all know how that goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Plyboy View Post
    I'm a sucker for "pre-1990s used Black&Decker for $2 or less"
    I broke my rule, and grabbed a Craftsman Router 325.17471 for $10 my other one is probably getting bolted to a table now.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Have a Bosch, built a router cab for it, never use it, & porter cable, plunge, use the HF trim router the most, $29 🤣

Going back a few years, I had an early Bosch 100mm angle grinder. Very useful, but it's gears quit, so I ordered fresh ones and brushes for good measure.. Had to wait three weeks before they arrived, but it was back in action... for two weeks until the stator windings burned. I then found that I could buy a B&D Pro 115 forthe same money I had just wasted on fixing the Bosch. It was a far better tool and went for ages, followed by a couple more. The Pro range then became DeWalt after the buy out. Fine until they cheapened them, like the POS I bought as a drill.

Back to B&D Pro.. I bought a 230 angle grinder to use as a cut off saw for metal. That was over 30yrs ago and it did well on a daily basis with a few spares.Two switches and three sets of brushes, so quite good value.. Finally smoked about 5 months ago and was replaced by Kingfishers own brand version. Works Ok, but likely not worth fixing if it falters. Lesson? You need to spend a bit more now on bits, or except the 'throw away' cheepy stuff. Hed a few cheepies, very hit and miss. Big angle grinder just lasted the job, but was cheaper than return to base for a good one, but a little one went way past it's life expectancy