X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Capucino
    • Jun 2019

'Inga' by William Atkin

Hi Shipmates,

Could anyone shed some light on Mr William Atknin's design 'Inga' (Atkin Boat Plans)?

She has a LOA 28'3", LWL 25', beam 8'6" and draft 3'6" with a displacement of 12,200 pounds. The outside lead weighs 5,700 pounds and inside ballast 600 pounds and sail area of 381.9 square feet.

I was told by a shipwright that her draft is too shallow to be a good seaworthy ocean going craft. Is it possible that such an eminent designer such as Mr Atkin could have made a mistake in designing her?

Her ballast is just over half her displacement. In a capsize she might right herself a tad too snappy resulting in breaking her mast but in any capsize there will be quite a mess anyway.

I would be very grateful to receive any advice...

Many thanks!

Fair wind to all good shipmates,

Capucino
  • Thad
    • May 2000

Re: 'Inga' by William Atkin

Reading http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Inga.html I'm inclined to believe what it says rather than your shipwright. It may be outside his experience and he may not want to build it, but there is lots to say about having shallow draft and a boat that will sail more upright than on her ear. As to the righting moment, not having deep heavy ballast should make her easier feeling than otherwise, not likely to break her spars. She might not be the boat to take around the Horn (more because of stowage capacity than ability) but ocean passages are another thing. The above discussion suggests a 2 person boat and maybe 3 for your ocean passage.

Comment

• Capucino
      • Jun 2019

Hi Thad,

Many thanks for your reply.
      It is very encouraging that you think like I do.
      Having the choice between a 'Lyle Hess 28' and 'Inga' I thought the latter would be a drier boat and easier to sail solo given a nice set of winches. I also believe that a double-ender would less likely to broach...
      Besides, the fact that 'Inga' will sail more upright is very comforting to say the least!
      Finally, my best experience at sea was on a 'Westsail 32'. Maybe slightly too big for a lone sailor but the unrivalled sailing ever!!!
      We have quite a few shipwrights in England but many more in the U.S.A. if push come to shove...
      All the best to all shipmates,
      Capucino

Comment

• EFHeath
        • Jul 2013

What does Atkin mean by the following?:
        "Also there is no permanent back stay. The latter are badly overrated for wholesome cruising craft, if not downright dangerous."

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
          Banned
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by EFHeath
          What does Atkin mean by the following?:
          "Also there is no permanent back stay. The latter are badly overrated for wholesome cruising craft, if not downright dangerous."
          Its an opinion, and you can choose to agree or not. Though there might be some good aspects to a mast that can stand without a permenent backstay and use "running backstays" instead, depending on the rig and crew.

There was an Inga that has spent many years cruising down in the Chile channels, not a place for a boat that is not capable. All boats are a compromise, i would find the shallow draft a bonus. You might find a Martin Heard built Falmouth Working boat for pennies on the pound against building new, unless the build is part of the experience.

Comment

• Capucino
            • Jun 2019

Very good to hear different opinions!
            According to John Vigor's 'Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere' a 'Bristol Channel Cutter 28' by Lyle Hess has the greatest safety factor at sea.
            Does it mean it is the best boat to sail? Maybe and maybe not...
            Here I am more concerned regarding the draft of 'Inga' as being, perhaps, too shallow...
            After all, is there such a thing as a perfect sailboat or a perfect skipper? I believe both have to be taken with a pinch of salt...

Comment

• navydog
              • Sep 2007

I imagine Inga would heel over a bit at first then stiffen up as she is heeled over. Using the right amount of sail to keep the boat sailing flat and reducing weather helm is important. If you plan on coastal cruising a 3'6" draft is a real advantage. There were whole fleets of boats with similar hull design using internal ballast and open decks on the Baltic. They were used for the fishing industry. If you want something to sail in a hurricane you probably need to adjust your thinking to something else.
              Last edited by navydog; 06-18-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• EFHeath
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by skaraborgcraft
                Its an opinion, and you can choose to agree or not. Though there might be some good aspects to a mast that can stand without a permanent backstay and use "running backstays" instead, depending on the rig and crew.
                I would be unwise for me to "choose to agree or not", since I know absolutely nothing about it. That's why I asked. It would be much appreciated if you would share what those good aspects you mentioned might be. I have never owned a wooden boat, or any kind of boat, and probably never will, other than maybe a kayak. I just like them and want to know more.

Comment

• stromborg
                  • Sep 2010

"I was told by a shipwright that her draft is too shallow to be a good seaworthy ocean going craft. Is it possible that such an eminent designer such as Mr Atkin could have made a mistake in designing her?"

I imagine that the tension that exists between house carpenters and architect/engineers also runs through the shipwright/naval architect relationship. Lateral plane, how much and where it should be is one of those subjects of yacht design that baffles me. So many variables!
                  Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
                  H.A. Calahan

Comment

• Capucino
                    • Jun 2019

Many thanks for all your replies!
                    Sailing in a hurricane? I reckon a 'submarine' would be better!
                    I'll take my chances and get on with it and if it turns out problematic in high seas get something else!
                    It will be a lovely experience to see her coming alive.
                    All the best to all good shipmates!

Comment

• J.Madison
                      • Mar 2011

The design looks plenty seaworthy to me. If you are handy with a planimeter or computer program, you could determine the point of vanishing stability. Ideally this would be over 120 degrees or so, much depends on the CG.

Inga looks like a more affordable and faster boat than the Hess cutter in light airs, but certainly has less room below.

Atkin's statement about the backstay is dated, and I don't think any living designer would agree with him. He was fresh off the era of gaff rigs, and treated his burmudian boats the same way. I have an Ingrid with a very similar arrangement and I long for the security of a fixed backstay. I would add a boomkin and backstay if I were building Inga.

Comment

• Capucino
                        • Jun 2019

Many thanks J.Madison. I will follow your advice.
                        I will be sailing solo most of the time so plenty of room for one!
                        I already have a full set of plans for 'Inga' and a few meetings lined up with potential shipbuilders.
                        It will be an exciting undertaking!

Comment

• Falcon1
                          Senior Quixote
                          • Dec 2012

She looks ideal to me. I hope you share your build progress with us.

Best of luck!

Mike

Comment

• John Meachen
                            • Jan 2004

I would guess £160,000 and a year and a half to finish it.If you want to go sailing,there are lots of good boats out there for a lot less.If watching a boat being built exactly as you want it is the point,it can be done.

Comment

• J.Madison
                              • Mar 2011

Commissioning a one-off wooden boat is a noble pursuit for anyone inclined. Plenty of people spend that much on factory mass produced plastic, and don't get a whole lot more boat to show for it.

Of course picking up a used boat is much cheaper.

Comment

Working...