Thread: Flush engine deck hatches and leak avoidance.

Default Flush engine deck hatches and leak avoidance.

How do you guys deal with flush deck hatches and leaks? I keep coming back to the plastic boat idea of building a channel around the hatch sealing area and running hoses to the scuppers, kind of a C channel. The deck hatches will have to be walked on to get in and out of the boat.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Default Re: Flush engine deck hatches and leak avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    How do you guys deal with flush deck hatches and leaks? I keep coming back to the plastic boat idea of building a channel around the hatch sealing area and running hoses to the scuppers, kind of a C channel. The deck hatches will have to be walked on to get in and out of the boat.
    That's done on wood boats too. It's how Huckins did it. Also the lazarette hatch on Temptation, our Chris Craft Constellation, used that design as well. It works ok but not great if the hatches are regularly exposed to weather. I had plans to improve on the design using a rubber gasket and cam latches in addition to the channel but never got around to it.

Gutters for sure. For Meg we made them all about 3" wide so that I could clean them easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Gutters for sure. For Meg we made them all about 3" wide so that I could clean them easily.
    Ah - that's the way to do it for sure. All the ones I've seen have a gutter of about 1/2"-3/4" wide. Not nearly enough of any real amount of water. Make them big and they will probably work great.

Thank you all. That kind of confirms what I was planning. I was thinking about making them 1.5 inches. I think if I made them much larger, I would catch a toe and break it. I've done a similar thing before.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Grand Banks also used the gutters. It doesn't always work when you have 90 inches of rain a year, but the design theory is solid.
    1973 Grand Banks 42