Thread: Primer recommendations..

Default Primer recommendations..

New Strip/ composite construction, West epoxy, glass. 26' Sailboat that I expect to trailer between spells of a month or so in various bodies of water. The complication is that this is the Chapelle "Western Lakes Mackinaw" and he invented the waterline for the half-model he took the lines from, so I would like to prime it or something and sail it for a while before I finalize ballast and trim.

Gougeon says 4 coats of epoxy, barrier coat additive unnecessary. Tech guy at Jamestown says 1-2 coats of their "Total-Protect" at 400sft per gallon, but their online video says 4-5 coats with foam roller, and the video got only about a quarter of the bottom of a 24' outboard one coat from a quart. Interlux two part video says 3/8" nap roller, especially for the first coat. Then my mind went "zip, beep"

Pease guide me Oh wise ones

Ken

I like interlux 2000e, you really won't go wrong with any of the choices above, what will make a difference if you leave the boat in the water more than four or five days they get slimed almost overnight!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

I think coverage can vary a lot depending how you apply whatever you use. Internationals guide book suggests one sprayed coat of primer is about the same as 4 coats with a roller.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Primer recommendations..

Interlux 2000

Brightsides high-build primer (Pre-Kote), topcoat with Epifanes Bootlak alkyd enamel.

https://interlux.com/en/us/boat-pain...ating/pre-kote

https://www.epifanes.com/page/yacht-enamel

Nice color selection, too.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Thanks all! The ability to supply locally also argues for Interlux.

Ken

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Precote is a good one part undercoat, for a traditionaly painted /built boat.
    But I feel that the longer you stay with epoxy, the better.
    2000 IS epoxy, so the epoxy mill (thickness) keeps building up.
    Any future dings or repairs, any epoxy used will "marry" the 2000, where as the alkyd undercoater (precote) should be sanded all the way off where it is in the way.
    One part urethanes (like Brightsides)have a nasty habit of letting go where the area is wet a lot or close to the water. Big blisters, peeling... Your 26 'er gonna stay in the water, that's something to consider.